Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Republican senator: Americans aren't getting vaccinated because Joe Biden told them to wear masks

"So many people have said, 'Why would I go get a vaccine when the president says we have to keep wearing masks?'"
During a hearing on the nation's response to the COVID-19 pandemic this Thursday, Sen. Roger Marshall, R-Kans., questioned Dr. Anthony Fauci over the nation's mask mandates, saying that "President Biden recently said that we should all wear masks until everyone is vaccinated — that's probably the worst thing that could have been said for compliance."

"So many people have said, 'Why would I go get a vaccine when the president says we have to keep wearing masks until everyone's vaccinated?'" Marshall said as Fauci listened patiently.
Republican senator: Americans aren't getting vaccinated because Joe Biden told them to wear masks

iu

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"So many people have said, 'Why would I go get a vaccine when the president says we have to keep wearing masks?'"
During a hearing on the nation's response to the COVID-19 pandemic this Thursday, Sen. Roger Marshall, R-Kans., questioned Dr. Anthony Fauci over the nation's mask mandates, saying that "President Biden recently said that we should all wear masks until everyone is vaccinated — that's probably the worst thing that could have been said for compliance."

"So many people have said, 'Why would I go get a vaccine when the president says we have to keep wearing masks until everyone's vaccinated?'" Marshall said as Fauci listened patiently.

iu

Js: But what else could be said. Vaccines protect the vaccinated but they can still infect others who are not! Masks can be taken off only when we achieve herd immunity which means most need to get vaccinated first.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

CDC issued guidelines saying that if there is a gathering and only vaccinated people are in the room then no social distancing and no masks needed. So then "no waiting until all of America is vaccinated"

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Actually, a lot of us are making the "T-Chart" regarding getting a vaccine and don't see any real upside. I'm not bothering to get one. But then, I never wear a mask either. It's just politics or, as Rand Paul said to Fauci, theater.

Rand Paul Torches Dr. Fauci As A Fraud, “You’ve Been Vaccinated And You Parade Around In A Mask For Show!”

upload_2021-3-19_10-36-8.png

This pretty much sums up my take on the whole thing:
COVID is not a hoax, but the numbers are: A look at the first flu season with COVID

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's just courtesy for vaccinated people to continue wearing masks to protect the unvaccinated.

Unfortunately, because so many people are choosing not to get vaccinated, everyone will have to wear masks longer because we may never reach herd immunity.

I look at it like this. If I were bringing a group of children on a picnic, and one or two of them were allergic to peanut butter, I wouldn't make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, even if most of us were "immune" from peanut butter allergies. We would all do without peanut butter out of courtesy to those who could die from exposure.

When those don't want to get vaccinated against COVID see a vaccinated person wearing a mask, the appropriate response is "thank you."

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's just courtesy for vaccinated people to continue wearing masks to protect the unvaccinated.

Unfortunately, because so many people are choosing not to get vaccinated, everyone will have to wear masks longer because we may never reach herd immunity.

I look at it like this. If I were bringing a group of children on a picnic, and one or two of them were allergic to peanut butter, I wouldn't make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, even if most of us were "immune" from peanut butter allergies. We would all do without peanut butter out of courtesy to those who could die from exposure.

When those don't want to get vaccinated against COVID see a vaccinated person wearing a mask, the appropriate response is "thank you."
When I see people in masks, I see sheep. And I believe that to preserve freedom in this country you must exercise it. It's a "use it or lose it" scenario. I don't have TV so my information is mostly in print form. I read a lot. I have a different perspective mask efficacy than those who see a lot of Public Service Announcements (PSA's). It's why I wear a mask as little as possible when in public. And I'm not the only one.

For people like me, wearing a mask is harmful to our freedom. I don't feel that way about wearing seatbelts, helmets, etc., but masks and social distancing, you bet. I don't want our nation to lose our freedom of association. Government shall not meddle in that arena as far as I'm concerned.

But if someone has been moved by all those PSA's and is afraid of sharing air with fellow human beings, by all means they should be able to wear one of these:
upload_2021-3-19_11-31-22.png

As for my family, we simply base our decisions on information from other, more detailed sources. And live our lives accordingly.
https://www.americanthinker.com/art...e_to_finally_follow_the_science_on_masks.html

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I've been vaccinated, and I wear a mask for two reasons.

1. It's still possible to get infected, and while the likelihood of having illness is very small, I would then be spreading infection to others. And I would not know if I had the virus or not.

2. The mask does provide some protection against me getting infected.

This doesn't seem like a huge challenge to understand.

Rand Paul was once a libertarian. Now, he seems to be a moron.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For people like me, wearing a mask is harmful to our freedom. I don't feel that way about wearing seatbelts, helmets, etc., but masks and social distancing, you bet. I don't want our nation to lose our freedom of association. Government shall not meddle in that arena as far as I'm concerned.

I could never understand why seat belts, helmets,etc. aren't considered politically incorrect, but masks are.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand that we need to keep wearing masks, even after getting vaccinated, because a vaccinated person can still get the virus and spread it. And the vaccine might make a person's case asymptomatic so the person unknowingly is spreading it and is not stopped. So . . . may be . . . the vaccine could save that individual's life, but not the lives of ones who become infected through that person > right while an obviously infected person would be detected and stopped from spreading the COVID. So, this could be an interesting item for evaluation.

In case there are "political" areas where most won't wear masks, they can be our voluntary Guinea piggies, to see if there are more cases where ones are vaccinated but not wearing masks.

So, if people turn Joe's declaration into a problem . . . possibly they are not understanding the basic principles of how COVID-19 spreads. And ones might be concerned only or mainly about their own selves. Plus, then, it is possible they would find a way out of helping out, either way.

And I see something else . . . maybe > if flu cases are down, this could be because masks have cut the flu case numbers. Flu does not spread so easily as COVID does, if I remember correctly. So, right while masks might not be so effective against COVID, the masks might be cutting the flu cases.

So, in some number of cases, the cut flu cases does not mean people have been misrepresenting flu as COVID cases. Maybe some people are switching diagnoses, but it also can be because masks have cut the flu cases.

And hand washing is supposed to help; so I would say we need to not let the mask issue decoy our attention from other things which can help.

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been vaccinated, and I wear a mask for two reasons.

1. It's still possible to get infected, and while the likelihood of having illness is very small, I would then be spreading infection to others. And I would not know if I had the virus or not.

2. The mask does provide some protection against me getting infected.

This doesn't seem like a huge challenge to understand.

Rand Paul was once a libertarian. Now, he seems to be a moron.
I have a question: Wearing a mask in public would always have offered protection from all sorts of illnesses that, truth be told, you probably got from time to time. Same can be said for rubber gloves.

So why didn't you wear them long before Rona? Was there a down side? If so, what was it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand that we need to keep wearing masks, even after getting vaccinated, because a vaccinated person can still get the virus and spread it. And the vaccine might make a person's case asymptomatic so the person unknowingly is spreading it and is not stopped. So . . . may be . . . the vaccine could save that individual's life, but not the lives of ones who become infected through that person > right while an obviously infected person would be detected and stopped from spreading the COVID. So, this could be an interesting item for evaluation.

In case there are "political" areas where most won't wear masks, they can be our voluntary Guinea piggies, to see if there are more cases where ones are vaccinated but not wearing masks.

So, if people turn Joe's declaration into a problem . . . possibly they are not understanding the basic principles of how COVID-19 spreads. And ones might be concerned only or mainly about their own selves. Plus, then, it is possible they would find a way out of helping out, either way.

And I see something else . . . maybe > if flu cases are down, this could be because masks have cut the flu case numbers. Flu does not spread so easily as COVID does, if I remember correctly. So, right while masks might not be so effective against COVID, the masks might be cutting the flu cases.

So, in some number of cases, the cut flu cases does not mean people have been misrepresenting flu as COVID cases. Maybe some people are switching diagnoses, but it also can be because masks have cut the flu cases.

And hand washing is supposed to help; so I would say we need to not let the mask issue decoy our attention from other things which can help.
My personal take is that wearing a mask is so ineffective to not be worth the hassle. I base it on many articles I've read, such as this one (of many):
Enough Is Enough: Time to Finally Follow the Science on Masks

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I could never understand why seat belts, helmets,etc. aren't considered politically incorrect, but masks are.
Because you don't have to wear them, simply to be out in public with your fellow man. And for the record, I don't believe they should be mandatory.

As a motorcyclist I moved from a helmet law state to a helmets optional state. It didn't change my helmet wearing at all. But I still think it's none of the government's business. ESPECIALLY the federal government.

I also always wear a helmet when bicycling.

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just to clarify, to many of us, they are not politically incorrect, and neither are masks. But in all three cases, the government requiring them is repugnant. Some people don't wear masks for the simple reason that the government dares to tell them they have to. I can't speak for other countries, but in these united states, the government are not our rulers. They are our servants.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a question: Wearing a mask in public would always have offered protection from all sorts of illnesses that, truth be told, you probably got from time to time.

Yes. For example, people many Asian nations will wear them during influenza epidemics. And yes, it does reduce infections. Notice that we didn't have a flu outbreak this year. Because influenza spreads pretty much the way COVID-19 does.

Same can be said for rubber gloves.

Apparently, that works better against influenza than for COVID-19. This is why every teacher keeps hand sanitizer on the desk.

So why didn't you wear them long before Rona?

I wasn't one of the people at high risk of dying from influenza, which has a lower death rate to begin with.

Was there a down side?

Well, masks are politically incorrect. But I don't care much.

• Agree
Reactions: Joyous Song
Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whenever I see an article or news story about the availability of some vaccine, I treat it like an article talking about the latest article by some hip-hop artist - I ignore it because I don't care. It's not on my radar.

To say I'm not alone would be an understatement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wasn't one of the people at high risk of dying from influenza, which has a lower death rate to begin with.
There's the rub. If you are under 50, influenza is more dangerous. Also, the whole thing gets into the simple fact that different people have different fears based on their information sources and which authorities the most respect. Are you now in the high risk group for Rona death? i.e. Fat and old and already sick?

I see it like this: Tom and Joe live in houses side by side in the same neighborhood. Joe is a news fanatic and is constantly watchin, listening to or reading articles about violence in his city and scared to death, so he has bars on his windows and triple locks on his doors. Tom reads the crime statistics as they apply to the entire city and specifically his neighborhood, analyzes the risk, and decides he's at more risk of getting hit by lightning than getting burglarized, so he has no bars and doesn't even lock his doors at night.

And both are free to respond according to their own information and sensibilities. That's how it should work.

But if Joe tries to get legislation passed requiring Tom to put bars on his windows and only go out in public at certain times, we have a problem. And the fact is that there have always been perpetually scared people and, conversely, people that are willing to take risks. And in the US, both are free to live their lives accordingly. i.e. if Joe thinks Tom may carry a seriously dangerous virus, well, he can avoid Tom or wear rubber gloves and a gas mask when around Tom.

BTW, my wife had the flu two years ago for four weeks and almost died. I cared for her the whole time and never got it. Around the same time my brother got it in Seattle for SIX weeks and it sent him to the hospital. But none of us think we have the right to make people wear masks and gloves when around us. We're not that narcissistic.

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, masks are politically incorrect.
In all seriousness, I think you have that exactly backwards. That is, what is politically incorrect today is NOT wearing one. See which action gives you the most grief from others when you go out in public.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's the rub. If you are under 50, influenza is more dangerous. Also, the whole thing gets into the simple fact that different people have different fears based on their information sources and which authorities the most respect. Are you now in the high risk group for Rona death? i.e. Fat and old and already sick?

I see it like this: Tom and Joe live in houses side by side in the same neighborhood. Joe is a news fanatic and is constantly watchin, listening to or reading articles about violence in his city and scared to death, so he has bars on his windows and triple locks on his doors. Tom reads the crime statistics as they apply to the entire city and specifically his neighborhood, analyzes the risk, and decides he's at more risk of getting hit by lightning than getting burglarized, so he has no bars and doesn't even lock his doors at night.

And both are free to respond according to their own information and sensibilities. That's how it should work.

But if Joe tries to get legislation passed requiring Tom to put bars on his windows and only go out in public at certain times, we have a problem. And the fact is that there have always been perpetually scared people and, conversely, people that are willing to take risks. And in the US, both are free to live their lives accordingly. i.e. if Joe thinks Tom may carry a seriously dangerous virus, well, he can avoid Tom or wear rubber gloves and a gas mask when around Tom.

BTW, my wife had the flu two years ago for four weeks and almost died. I cared for her the whole time and never got it. Around the same time my brother got it in Seattle for SIX weeks and it sent him to the hospital. But none of us think we have the right to make people wear masks and gloves when around us. We're not that narcissistic.

JS: Mark Twain said, "your right to swing your arms ends at my nose." So it is with covid-19. If you really read as much as you claim from a wide variety and unbiased resources then you would not hold your position.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JS: Mark Twain said, "your right to swing your arms ends at my nose." So it is with covid-19. If you really read as much as you claim from a wide variety and unbiased resources then you would not hold your position.
I disagree. And I agree with the Mark Twain quote. And if you can prove I'm a carrier, then I should not be blowing in your face. That's why we quarantine some sick people. Otherwise, whether I wear a mask or not is nobody else's business. This hints at

Here is the tough question: At what point should the existence of any specific disease or virus spread by aerosol require all people to wear masks? One death? A thousand? A million? 743? The individual person's answer to that question clarifies why this is controversial.

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BTW, for the record, my right to exhale air does not end just because your nose is nearby and "might" touch a molecule that came from my nose. Unless you are suggesting we alter many thousands of years of human history and culture.

Upvote 0