• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

And Back to Racial Discrimination

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Ana the Ist, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,784
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I was on the road as a sales rep. Talking to customers, usually engineers, was great fun when they were from Iran or India. I tried to sell an Israeli made product to a Muslim. That did not go well. When God confused the languages, He made a thorough job of it.

2. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+3,115
    Christian
    Married
    It's insane. Reverse discrimination is still racist.

3. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+3,644
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I worked for an Israeli company. We could sell the US version to the Muslim countries, but our team had to get new passports if they had been in Israel so they could travel to some ME countries. That got interesting for them.

4. The IbanezerScrooge

The IbanezerScrooge I can't believe what I'm hearing...

+2,322
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    How is merely offering minorities just the opportunity of an interview discrimination of any kind? They are not excluding white candidates. They are including minority and women candidates.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Larnievc

Larnievc Well-Known Member

+4,293
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    It’s got nothing to do with biology. If anything it’s occupational psychology.

6. rturner76

rturner76 Domine non-sum dignus Supporter

+2,435
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    Is it wrong for someone to say "I would like a diverse workforce to reach a diverse world?" Economics is a global game now.

7. Larnievc

+4,293
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Where in the article does it say the criteria at the interview stage will be tiered?

8. Larnievc

+4,293
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Do you understand that this is about selection for interview, not selection at interview?

9. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+9,387
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    I guess to ensure that minorities are given a chance is now foreshadowing racism.

10. stevil

stevil Godless and without morals

+3,180
    New Zealand
    Atheist
    Private
    Seems reasonable to me. Especially in a white dominated business environment where many people get job interviews due to their connections. Hence white has and retains over the years, the upper hand. Therefore needs some redress. No harm in interviewing people.

But yet another, Oh us poor repressed whiteys thread.
    Really feel for the horrible plight of whites in USA.

11. renniks

+3,115
    Christian
    Married
    Were they excluded before?

12. renniks

+3,115
    Christian
    Married
    Selection should always been for the best qualified. Not based on race or gender.

13. Larnievc

+4,293
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    I didn’t think I’d need to explain this simple concept but selecting people to see at interview (which is what happens in the article) is not the same as selecting people for the job.

I don’t understand how you need this explained to you.

14. The IbanezerScrooge

The IbanezerScrooge I can't believe what I'm hearing...

+2,322
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    No one said they were. But, the company has decided to ensure that they are not by giving incentives for hiring managers to interview minorities and women where they haven't in the past.

Nothing in the article says otherwise. We see here again the assumption that the white male candidate must be the most qualified by default, and simply ensuring that minorities are considered is somehow discriminatory against white males.

15. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Contemplative Christian Supporter

+7,735
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    I have mixed feelings on all of this. While I agree that women and minorities need to have these opportunities, I detest having my time wasted. There are so many times when a hiring manager already knows who he or she will be hiring and/or has an internal candidate in mind, but because of some law or regulation, either company-wide or government, they are forced to interview a certain number of external candidates when they have absolutely no intention of hiring any of them.

Now there is sometimes the rare occasion in which one of those candidates is so incredibly impressive that they manage to luck out and get the job anyway, but for the most part, it's a waste of time for both the hiring managers and the (already rejected) candidates who spend all that time in interviews and getting their hopes up.

Also, I want to know that I got selected because of my skills and talents and what I can bring to a company rather than just because I'm a body filling a hiring quota.

But then without the quotas, are the most qualified people often passed over due to status quo?

Or do the most qualified people get passed over because they have to fill quotas?

16. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+9,387
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    I know plently of people from that scenario who were then called and interviewed for a different position in that company because of the quality of their interview.
    Sure it's not THAT job, but it was a much better job for every person in that circumstance.

17. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Contemplative Christian Supporter

+7,735
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    Well that's a good point that would need to be factored in.

18. renniks

+3,115
    Christian
    Married
    If you are selecting people based on race for the interview you are also selecting for the job based on race. I don't understand how you need this explained to you.

19. stevil

stevil Godless and without morals

+3,180
    New Zealand
    Atheist
    Private
    Yes, but many times, especial in managerial roles, candidates are found via referrals.

The problem with referrals is that people refer on people that they know, not people that they don't know.

White males are more likely to associate with other white males, therefore since managerial positions are predominately held by white males, referrals will tend to be for other white males.

Women and minorities don't even get their CVs on the table, and don't even get to the interview stage.
    If you give them a leg up to that stage, it is then upto the interview panel to then decide based on the merits of the CV and the interviews.

20. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+16,084
    Christian
    Married
    That can be a problem when prior discriminatory hiring practices have created the situation that the internal pool does not present the desired diversity.