• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

And Back to Racial Discrimination

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Ana the Ist, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+8,374
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    One of world's largest investment firms will need permission to hire White men

Leaders at one of the largest investment firms in the world, State Street Global Advisors, will need to ask permission to hire White men as it rolls out a diversity hiring initiative.

Literal double standards for white men and monetary incentives to not hire them.

The firm will still hire White men, McNicholas said, but recruiters are required to show that women and minority applicants were interviewed by the panels.

Does anyone actually see this as a good way to improve upon the days when racial discrimination was the norm? By making racial discrimination the norm?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+2,823
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    Permission from who

3. Larnievc

Larnievc Well-Known Member

+4,293
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Misleading title. The instruction is for interviews to be offered to a quota of people with protected characteristics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. The IbanezerScrooge

The IbanezerScrooge I can't believe what I'm hearing...

+2,322
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    It's so interesting to me that the default position here is that white, male candidates must be the best qualified, because to even require that minorities and women be interviewed... not hired, but just interviewed... (and that's all this is when you actually read the article) means that they are somehow making their investment services substandard. Read the comments to see what I'm talking about.

5. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,572
    Christian
    Married
    So ... this is one company, right ?

6. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+3,644
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I listen to a business podcast and one of the problems that the financial services sector faces is a lack of diverse candidates. Even one CEO said that this limits their understanding of under served markets. An Ivy League white male MBA is not going to have a connection to a working class immigrant. FYI, those working class immigrants can do a LOT with the money they make. A lot of Greeks for example are wealthy from the family owned and operated restaurants.

7. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,784
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I wonder how evolutionists explain this total stupidity.

8. Aussie Pete

+6,784
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    This will be another source of income for the CEO and others at the top. They will be awarded diversity bonuses. You don't believe it? It is already happening. It's just one of the reasons that corporations pay executives vast sums while refusing to pay a living wage to those who work for them.

9. GreekOrthodox

+3,644
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Morning/Evening Aussie,
    I'm not arguing that the CEO pay and bonuses are ridiculous. The interview that I heard was with Chamath Palihapitiya, a Sri-Lankan born venture capitalist. One of his comments was that the typical MBA are all trained to think the same way by all of the schools and have very little diversity of thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. spiritfilledjm

spiritfilledjm Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,416
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I can understand wanting to ensure that they at least interview minorities and whatnot, as ensuring that they get a chance to at least be heard is still something that is needed. However, the position should always go to the most qualified applicant, period.

11. GreekOrthodox

+3,644
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Now that I've been doing interviews for hiring, that's honestly a very difficult question depending on the position. We've made a few hires for positions for hospital clinical technical positions and honestly, the most technically qualified people have failed miserably in these roles. On paper they look fantastic. However, they often don't have the people skills that are required for what appears to be a purely technical role.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+16,084
    Christian
    Married
    "Most qualified" is frequently a coin toss, or merely a matter of a personal bias, such as graduation from a particular school. That's the kind of thing hiring officials must be wary of, even within themselves.

13. spiritfilledjm

+1,416
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I was going to make that point as well but also thought about the fact that the interviewer may say no based on how they conduct themselves, talk, and things like that which, in and of itself can be racial discrimination. Like, a doctor or nurse can have graduated from school Valedictorian, leaps and bounds ahead of their peers, and even had their hand in scientific discoveries in medicine while in school. However, once they get in a hospital setting, dealing with patients, it turns out that they have no bedside manner to speak of making them a terrible Doctor in the end because no patients like them.

Disclaimer: I know nurses and doctors have clinical and residencies that they must complete satisfactorily before completing school, just using it as an example lol.

14. spiritfilledjm

+1,416
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    It's kinda like what Psalti said, just because they got the best grades and have referrals from professors, does not mean that they'd do better than one who may not have had the best grades but still obtained a degree.

15. RDKirk

+16,084
    Christian
    Married
    You have posed a disingenuous post about the actual situation presented in the article.

There is no "permission" to be asked by anyone. That is not even implied in the article.

The company has set diversity goals. Hiring managers will be required to show that they have at least interviewed a diverse range of applicants. I suspect that in practice, as happens historically, most of those will go to white women.

Managers who achieve corporate goals get positive remarks and bonuses...that is standard for the achievement of any corporate goal.

16. rturner76

rturner76 Domine non-sum dignus Supporter

+2,435
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    I think it is advantageous for a company to hire a diverse group of people, especially in customer service roles. You want to be able to relate to as many people as possible. Having more diversity can open new revenue streams in their perspective communities. If they came from the working class, they will have more working-class connections to expose them to investment opportunities.

17. GreekOrthodox

+3,644
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    My company sends you through the interview gauntlet. These are field positions so it is normally 6-8 phone interviews and then the candidate normally gives a presentation so we can judge their teaching and presentation skills. Then the interviewers have a online meeting to discuss and provide our own recommendations to the hiring team. Once someone is hired, we know it is a steep learning curve so I'm one of the training mentors and it may take 6 months for someone to finally get an inkling of what the work entails. So I do a LOT of hand-holding for new folks. Anymore, we look for people skills which don't show up on a resume over hard-core IT technical skills.

18. Aussie Pete

+6,784
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I wish that there were more Australians in customer service roles. Most times, my enquiry is answered by someone from the Philippines or India. I am sure that they are intelligent and hard working. After 20 minutes on the phone waiting to be put through, I then have to deal with a near unintelligible accent. Customer "service" outsourced to Asia is purely in the name of dollars.

It should be the most qualified. If the job states must have a second language, fine. That will broaden the scope of the business. But if it is in the name of diversity for the sake of it, just wrong.

Education is much overrated these days. Business is starting to realise that.

19. RDKirk

+16,084
    Christian
    Married
    "Hello, this is Bob," and I'm thinking, "not with that accent."

About 15 years ago, I was supervising a call center in a Fortune 50 insurance company that had a specific policy to keep its call center reps in-country. Yet, we did have people with foreign accents. I recall one time a call was passed to me as supervisor from a customer who was hopping mad because he believed he had been passed to reps in foreign countries, and was outraged that the company was outsourcing customer service.

What had happened purely serendipitously is that we had reps who were originally--this is no lie--from Ireland, England, and Scotland all at the same time, and at various times this customer had called, he had gotten all of them.

My initial though was, "Who the heck complains about an English accent?"

My cube was not far from the Irish rep. He pronounced his name "Oh-Sheen." All day long, I heard him answering his phone, "Hello, this is Oisin...Oisin...Oh-Eye-Ess-Eye-In."

All...day...long.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  20. Whyayeman

Whyayeman Well-Known Member

+1,129
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Married
    There is an important difference between academic qualifications and the qualities required to do a job well. Many people remember a teacher who 'knew his stuff' but did not actually succeed in the classroom.

It is worthwhile for several reasons - profitability, widening market reach, diversifying talent within the company, public approval of the company being some - to appoint a good range of talents. Applicants should not be restricted by a recruitment policy which too easily disqualifies good candidates.

It seems to me that this company - and one hopes many others - have come to this conclusion.