Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
dura-europos-western-wall.jpg

Ancient Jewish synagogues were filled with icons. While Scripture required the inside of the Jerusalem Temple to display icons of angels, the icons in Jewish synagogues depicted numerous scenes from Scripture...

Ancient Jewish Icons | The Orthodox Life

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I've seen those photos - it is a very interesting building. But I haven't ever seen any of earlier examples of such things. Given the dates, it seems possible to me that the pictures were influenced by Christianity rather than the other way round.

Is there something to show that this kind of illustration was used before the Christian period?

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've seen those photos - it is a very interesting building. But I haven't ever seen any of earlier examples of such things. Given the dates, it seems possible to me that the pictures were influenced by Christianity rather than the other way round.

Is there something to show that this kind of illustration was used before the Christian period?

This article says that these paintings preceded comparable Christian art by a couple centuries...

Visual Midrash - Tali Education Fund Collections

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Ya, this tells me that this particular style of painting is part of the surrounding Greco-Roman culture...and was adopted by Jews and Christians alike.

That's what I came up with too - in fact it said that the frescoes included depictions of Orpheus.

Which makes me think it might be premature to suggest this shows that Christian use of imagery comes out of this kind of Jewish use - it may be that this is rather an anomaly in a Jewish context.

They're very attractive though.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
dura-europos-western-wall.jpg

Ancient Jewish Icons | The Orthodox Life
Originally Posted by Ortho_Cat
This article says that these paintings preceded comparable Christian art by a couple centuries...

Visual Midrash - Tali Education Fund Collections

Wow.

I had always found it interesting to see the ways that icons occurred throughout the Orthodox Church and how they looked, especially in places such as Coptic Orthodox fellowships since that is the kind of Orthodox experiences I was able to have (as discussed #7, #38, & #39 ). But to see them develop within Jewish synagouges is rather fascinating.

Indeed, it's not surprising when examining the ways that the temple itself was set up with pictures/imagery all around from the Cheribum to symbols of flowers and many other things within the temple. From a purely artistic perspective, what occured there is truly reflective of how the arts are not something that were ever meant to be divorced from the life of believers.

Honestly, I think that even seeing the pics would still shock some people in the sense of causing them to be offended since they may feel that the Spirit of God would not have any necessity for pictures to be placed within a place of worship---especially one dedicated to the Lord. In their view, since they see no mention of art being discussed within the NT, they assume it was not appropriate or that the Holy Spirit didn't cause believers to operate in it. In a practical example, in Youth Ministry, I've often been very saddened for those individuals who often hear I Corinthians 12 or Romans 12 discussed with the gifts...and then hear sermons on how those gifts played out in Acts.

For some (as it was for myself as well growing up), they may not have the gift of wisdom or prophecy---and they may love the arts/wish to use that gift for something such as iconagraphy or similar things.... but they'll always feel that there's no place for them.

My cousin and I loved doing artwork and he's actually an Art Major now---one who was amazingly gifted...and I'd often wonder if the NT would make room for that gift. Others would say "Well, its nice what others do in art--but its not really a gift of the Spirit or something he uses in Acts." That said, I was shocked when I was able to see this:

Then Moses said to the Israelites, “See, the Lord has called by name Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. He has filled him with the Spirit of God—with skill, with understanding, with knowledge, and with all kinds of work, to design artistic designs, to work in gold, in silver, and in bronze, and in cutting stones for their setting, and in cutting wood, to do work in every artistic craft (Exod 35:30-33).

Exodus 31:2-4 also discusses the same theme. And on the issue, It amazed me to see how the Lord already had the Spirit of God use others in the realm of art----and for those who are bent toward that direction, it is a big deal. The widsom of Bezaleel and Aholiab is skill in supervising and teaching others how to do things, as well as being able to do intricate, artistic things themselves. Another way of putting it would be "strength of capacity" or even "expansion of their minds." In addition, God gave them understanding, which means "discernment" In this context of building the Tabernacle, it would mean being able to arrange or connect all the different parts. God also increased their knowledge, which means "a particular acquaintance."

The very God who formed the world, who brought order out of chaos at creation, also filled men like Bezalel (not a New Testament Christian, but an Old Testament believer) to produce works of art...and for others who had that gifting, they don't have to feel as if the Lord cannot use that for His glory. It's why there is now an entire ministry developed called "Prophetic Art" where others will draw during worship services and use their art to glorify the Messiah. For an example of one of my brothers in the Lord whom I met and who does this for a living, one can go here to investigate the ministry of William Butler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ortho_Cat
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps they were referring to that particular style of fresco, because we have catacomb frescoes from around the same time as this synagogue (~250)...although they are markedly different styles.

EarlyChristian3.jpg

Many thanks for the pics/information. I think that the significance of iconagraphy would not truly lessen if the Jewish people happened to adapt icons/art from the surrounding Greek/Roman context. If it was something already present during the very invention of the synagouge, that shows that the Lord used iconagraphy long before the Messiah arrived on the scene.....and if occurred afterward, it'd show how the Lord had it on His mind to give to the Church as a means of glorifying Him. Either way, the art still speaks just like creation does in praising Christ!!!!:)

[FONT=times, serif]Iconographic depiction in the Old Testament[/FONT]

[FONT=times, serif]Exodus 25:18[/FONT]
[FONT=times, serif]And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat. 19 And make one cherub on the one end, and the other cherub on the other end: even of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof. 20 And the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces shall look one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be. 22 And there I will meet with thee, and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubims which are upon the ark of the testimony, of all things which I will give thee in commandment unto the children of Israel.

Exodus 26:1
Moreover thou shalt make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubims of cunning work shalt thou make them.

Exodus 26:31
And thou shalt make a veil of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen of cunning work: with cherubims shall it be made.

Exodus 36:8
And every wise hearted man among them that wrought the work of the tabernacle made ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubims of cunning work made he them.

Exodus 36:35
And he made a veil of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen: with cherubims made he it of cunning work.

Exodus 37:7
And he made two cherubims of gold, beaten out of one piece made he them, on the two ends of the mercy seat; 8 One cherub on the end on this side, and another cherub on the other end on that side: out of the mercy seat made he the cherubims on the two ends thereof. 9 And the cherubims spread out their wings on high, and covered with their wings over the mercy seat, with their faces one to another; even to the mercy seatward were the faces of the cherubims.

Numbers 7:89
And when Moses was gone into the tabernacle of the congregation to speak with him, then he heard the voice of one speaking unto him from off the mercy seat that was upon the ark of testimony, from between the two cherubims: and he spake unto him.

[/FONT]The Temple of King Solomon:

1 Kings 6:23
And within the oracle he made two cherubims of olive tree, each ten cubits high. 24 And five cubits was the one wing of the cherub, and five cubits the other wing of the cherub: from the uttermost part of the one wing unto the uttermost part of the other were ten cubits. 25 And the other cherub was ten cubits: both the cherubims were of one measure and one size. 26 The height of the one cherub was ten cubits, and so was it of the other cherub. 27 And he set the cherubims within the inner house: and they stretched forth the wings of the cherubims, so that the wing of the one touched the one wall, and the wing of the other cherub touched the other wall; and their wings touched one another in the midst of the house. 28 And he overlaid the cherubims with gold. 29 And he carved all the walls of the house round about with carved figures of cherubims and palm trees and open flowers, within and without. 32 The two doors also were of olive tree; and he carved upon them carvings of cherubims and palm trees and open flowers, and overlaid them with gold, and spread gold upon the cherubims, and upon the palm trees. 35 And he carved thereon cherubims and palm trees and open flowers: and covered them with gold fitted upon the carved work.

1 Kings 7:29
And on the borders that were between the ledges were lions, oxen, and cherubims: and upon the ledges there was a base above: and beneath the lions and oxen were certain additions made of thin work. 36 For on the plates of the ledges thereof, and on the borders thereof, he graved cherubims, lions, and palm trees, according to the proportion of every one, and additions round about.

1 Kings 8:6
And the priests brought in the ark of the covenant of the LORD unto his place, into the oracle of the house, to the most holy place, even under the wings of the cherubims. 7 For the cherubims spread forth their two wings over the place of the ark, and the cherubims covered the ark and the staves thereof above.

1 Chronicles 28:18
And for the altar of incense refined gold by weight; and gold for the pattern of the chariot of the cherubims, that spread out their wings, and covered the ark of the covenant of the LORD.

2 Chronicles 3:7
He overlaid also the house, the beams, the posts, and the walls thereof, and the doors thereof, with gold; and graved cherubims on the walls. 10 And in the most holy house he made two cherubims of image work, and overlaid them with gold. 11 And the wings of the cherubims were twenty cubits long: one wing of the one cherub was five cubits, reaching to the wall of the house: and the other wing was likewise five cubits, reaching to the wing of the other cherub. 12 And one wing of the other cherub was five cubits, reaching to the wall of the house: and the other wing was five cubits also, joining to the wing of the other cherub. 13 The wings of these cherubims spread themselves forth twenty cubits: and they stood on their feet, and their faces were inward. 14 And he made the vail of blue, and purple, and crimson, and fine linen, and wrought cherubims thereon.

2 Chronicles 5:7
And the priests brought in the ark of the covenant of the LORD unto his place, to the oracle of the house, into the most holy place, even under the wings of the cherubims: 8 For the cherubims spread forth their wings over the place of the ark, and the cherubims covered the ark and the staves thereof above.

On icons, some commentary alongside beautiful examples of others within Jewish synagouges (as seen/found here and here):

....not only the Christians, but EVEN THE JEWS comprehended the term “idol” with its proper meaning, which is: “a depiction of God”. This is why both Christians and Jews of the first Christian era had ONLY images (icons) in their places of worship.

And here is the evidence:
Dura Europos was a Hellenic city, built by Nicator the Seleucid on the right bank of the river Euphrates, near Palmyra. It was besieged by Rome in 165 A.D. and was destroyed by the Persian Sasanides in 256 A.D.. Most of the edifices of the city were discovered under the sand, and were in perfect condition. Among them, was a Judean Synagogue as well as the most ancient of all Christian temples, which has remained intact to this day.

image002.jpg

Photograph of the Judean Synagogue in Dura Europos. The murals date back to 235 A.D.. It was discovered in 1921.

image004.jpg

Detail from the Synagogue. Scene from the Book of Esther.The resemblance to Byzantine Hagiography is remarkable. This is natural, as Hellenistic art forms were applied.
image006.jpg

The most ancient of all Christian churches is also preserved in Dura Europos.
Sections of the iconography can be seen on the wall. Opposite the entrance stood the elevated Altar, the “«tablinum». The Archaeologists tell us that this was where the liturgies took place, on this altar, by the Bishop. It dates back to 230-260 A.D.

Some other articles that may bless you:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps they were referring to that particular style of fresco, because we have catacomb frescoes from around the same time as this synagogue (~250)...although they are markedly different styles.

EarlyChristian3.jpg

BTW, is it just me or does anyone else see the similarities between these icons and the Pantocrator and Panagia Platytera? Even the architectural layout looks similar...

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
IMHO although we see similarities we still have to remember that there were "pictures" not "icons" and decorative. In the Hellenistic times lots of pagan also temples carried pictures as decorations. Jews obviously of hellenistic background decorated their temples similar to the other "greeks"... Hellenized Jews seems to expound in the iconographic decorations of the temples. I agree though that in a sense that the Hellenized Jews had no problem with iconography as decoration.

The depiction of images was not very well practiced except the "cherubim" but certainly we cannot deny that the Jews still today kiss the Torah out of respect and their edges of their praying shawls.

The strict monotheism of the Jewish God pretty much forbids that notion of "veneration" of any other images ... as "false" images. The respect to the Torah is indeed a very old custom as the bowing in front of the walling wall of Jerusalem praying.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
IMHO although we see similarities we still have to remember that there were "pictures" not "icons" and decorative. In the Hellenistic times lots of pagan also temples carried pictures as decorations. Jews obviously of hellenistic background decorated their temples similar to the other "greeks"... Hellenized Jews seems to expound in the iconographic decorations of the temples. I agree though that in a sense that the Hellenized Jews had no problem with iconography as decoration.

Would wonder, IMHO, how one could assume that it was only the Hellenized Jews who'd have pictures rather than "icons" and that it was only for the sake of decoration. Many of the pictures done were for the purpose of remembering the stories of the saints--and that's something I heard directly from one who was Coptic Orthodox. Specifically, when I was blessed to attend a Coptic Orthodox church, the priest of the church and when I was examining all of the icons they had, there were many that were simply pictures of Biblical accounts/stories--and the minister shared how there were times when the Word wasn't available to others. THerefore, in the abscence of scripture, pictures were used to paint the story of God's faithfulness. More on what the church stood for can be found here and here.

To give more detail on the experience I had/what I learned, as shared in #37, the leader of the Coptic Orthodox fellowship preached a sermon on how we live our lives today is to be in light of eternity since we're just passing through---and then he pointed to an Icon of Christ on top of the entrance to the sanctuary. It was a portait of the Lord in His resurrected state and returning in glory. When the priest was speaking, he noted how everyone was to look at the icon and remember that they were to leave the church and enter the world outside in the rememberance of their belonging to Christ---and that He would carry them through. More was said besides that--but that alone floored me...as well as his speaking on what it meant to respond differently as a Christian when the world chooses to fight back if wronged.

After the sermon was done, we had some very excellent time of fellowship with the people. I was very glad I was able to talk with the priest and have some wonderful discussion with him and find out more on some of the questions I had. Some things I learned from him was how iconagraphy in their church was something done because Egyptians at one point didn't have the written Word/Scriptures---and thus, pictures were needed to illustrate what the Bible said. It was cool to see since the ways I'd often seen iconagraphy was in the sense of reminders of what scripture notes and as an expression of worship---but I never saw it as something done for practical purposes of helping others learn when there no other outlets.

Nothing within Judaism would have forbidden the Jews from doing so since the issue for those within Judaism was about worshipping other gods/idols. Only when that occurred did it become a real issue.

The depiction of images was not very well practiced except the "cherubim" but certainly we cannot deny that the Jews still today kiss the Torah out of respect and their edges of their praying shawls.

The strict monotheism of the Jewish God pretty much forbids that notion of "veneration" of any other images ... as "false" images. The respect to the Torah is indeed a very old custom as the bowing in front of the walling wall of Jerusalem praying.
It's interesting to discuss the subject of images since many Jews have noted that images alone were to include symbolism, whereas others noted what the Lord was focused on was people trying to limit Him to being one way and forgetting how much more bigger He was. With images utilized by the Lord, there were actually alot of other images utilized in depictions apart from the cherubim, as even within monotheism pictures for reminders was not something that was considered worship.

There were some excellent discussions on the issue--under the names of What really is an Icon?

Just some thoughts..

One famous example coming to mind with images is staff was one made by Moses in Numbers 21:8-10 / Numbers 21....and interestingly enough, the staff had become something that was needing to be destroyed by the time of Hezekiah since people in his day began to worship it, as seen in 2 Kings 18:3-5 /2 Kings 18, yet the Lord references Himself in it in John 3 when discussing all looking unto Him, as they were commanded to do with the bronze serpent, were to be saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);59209510 said:
Would wonder, IMHO, how one could assume that it was only the Hellenized Jews who'd have pictures rather than "icons" and that it was only for the sake of decoration. Many of the pictures done were for the purpose of remembering the stories of the saints--and that's something I heard directly from one who was Coptic Orthodox. Specifically, when I was blessed to attend a Coptic Orthodox church, the priest of the church and when I was examining all of the icons they had, there were many that were simply pictures of Biblical accounts/stories--and the minister shared how there were times when the Word wasn't available to others. THerefore, in the abscence of scripture, pictures were used to paint the story of God's faithfulness. More on what the church stood for can be found here and here.

Nothing within Judaism would have forbidden the Jews from doing so since the issue for those within Judaism was about worshipping other gods/idols. Only when that occurred did it become a real issue.

There were actually alot of other images utilized in depictions apart from the cherubim, as even within monotheism pictures for reminders was not something that was considered worship.

There were some excellent discussions on the issue--under the names of What really is an Icon?

One famous example coming to mind with images is staff was one made by Moses in Numbers 21:8-10 / Numbers 21....and interestingly enough, the staff had become something that was needing to be destroyed by the time of Hezekiah since people in his day began to worship it, as seen in 2 Kings 18:3-5 /2 Kings 18, yet the Lord references Himself in it in John 3 when discussing all looking unto Him, as they were commanded to do with the bronze serpent, were to be saved.

I would not doubt the didactic presence of the pictures what I would be hesitant is to call them "icons" that is what I would have reservations about. Maybe if we see the linguistic approach to the "word" we can find out how they were perceived? I have not done any research and I am not a Judaica expert or an archeologist to know so I have like I said my reservations ;)

Indeed it would make an interesting investigation into the historical Hebrew religion to see to what extend they "venerated" sacred images vesus pagan idols and if there was a clear cut distinction...between the two. That would have tremendous ramifications to the western iconoclastic protestant world indeed.

Upvote 0