Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you like them. Are they giving you any good information or help. They keep sending adds to my e mail.

No my ancestors are all dead and have no access to life, technology etc.

If you are getting adds use the unsubscribe function and the block function in email.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No my ancestors are all dead and have no access to life, technology etc.

If you are getting adds use the unsubscribe function and the block function in email.
LOL!!
I thought this part of the forum was dedicated to genealogy. I didn't I was getting email from my ancestors.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is great website from what I can tell.
I don't know... According to a woman I work with, she just lost 30% of her German ancestry somehow according to new results they sent her! Sounds like they're still working on the genetic testing technology, in my opinion. I think I'd wait until they have that figured out.

But I guess that's not genealogy, exactly...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know... According to a woman I work with, she just lost 30% of her German ancestry somehow according to new results they sent her! Sounds like they're still working on the genetic testing technology, in my opinion. I think I'd wait until they have that figured out.

But I guess that's not genealogy, exactly...

You're talking about their DNA tests. The recent update is a result of them expanding their reference samples, so you're friend should be happy that they were more accurate than before. Before the update, they only had 3,000 reference samples. But with the new update they now have 16,000, that's makes a huge difference. I went from 25% Eastern European to 31%, which isn't a huge difference. They increased my Great Britain from 5% to 25%, this seems very accurate. They refined my Scandinavian to be Swedish, my German increased I think several percentages. The rest are mainly the same. I use to have Finland/Northwest Russian, but they took that away. My Ireland /Scotland went from 11% to 3%, which is accurate in my opinion, according to my tree. I am more happy about the results than before, they appear more accurate. The only one that bothers me is the Middle Eastern and South Asian is completely gone, whereas other test sites say I have them both (ranging around 5%), and they gave me Native American. My family isn't NA at all, as far as I am concerned.

You're friend needs to realize that these are estimates, not concrete results. They will continue to improve their science (if you want to call it that), but his/her dna is the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You're talking about their DNA tests. The recent update is a result of them expanding their reference samples, so you're friend should be happy that they were more accurate than before. Before the update, they only had 3,000 reference samples. But with the new update they now have 16,000, that's makes a huge difference. I went from 25% Eastern European to 31%, which isn't a huge difference. They increased my Great Britain from 5% to 25%, this seems very accurate. They refined my Scandinavian to be Swedish, my German increased I think several percentages. The rest are mainly the same. I use to have Finland/Northwest Russian, but they took that away. My Ireland /Scotland went from 11% to 3%, which is accurate in my opinion, according to my tree. I am more happy about the results than before, they appear more accurate. The only one that bothers me is the Middle Eastern and South Asian is completely gone, whereas other test sites say I have them both (ranging around 5%), and they gave me Native American. My family isn't NA at all, as far as I am concerned.

You're friend needs to realize that these are estimates, not concrete results. They will continue to improve their science (if you want to call it that), but his/her dna is the same.
That makes sense. I figured it was something like that. However, it still is to be determined, then, how accurate the current results are, as well. Better, maybe, but probably not perfect yet.

I wonder if that means my aunt's 2% Chinese ancestry has been refined to be Native American? That kind of confused us all because that side of the family was all from Ireland and England, as far as we know! but they did help found some towns in Massachusetts, so Native American ancestry would definitely be a possibility. I'll have to ask...

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But the site for genealogy research is great, imo. I found William Tyndale's sister as one of my distant ancestors on one line. I still have much to look into, but I have grown bored of it and eventually gave it up as a hobby.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I found the site and the content there to be incredibly useful, but you have to be very careful about the content. Original documentation is invaluable. Secondary sources might or might not be helpful. Other people's trees should be avoided unless you comprehensively vet the information before adding it.

My mother's maternal grandfather was a blank slate according to her, but I found an 1865 state census that blew open the doors and I now have his line going back (on his fathers side) 10 generations for 20 or 30 different lines.

Upvote 0