Michael Snow

Sep 24, 2015
✟36,122.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We'll start with a real lulu! "Elephants"! in Ether 9:19

Steel (1 Nehi, 2 Nephi, Ether) comes much later in history!

Crops: BOM mentions linen(flax), barley, wheat, figs, olives--these never existed in the New World prior to European settlement.

Ox, Cow, Cattle (Ether 9:18, etc) No cattle in American prior to Columbus ('In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue...")

And then there is the KJV of the Book of Isaiah, along with the distinctive KJV mistakes in translation from 1611. "The Book of Mormon explicitly quotes the prophet Isaiah. It contains 19 chapters of the KJV of Isaiah in their entirety, along with parts of a few other chapters."

Reactions: ArmenianJohn

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
About steel...

All citations KJV:

Jeremiah 15:12
12 Shall iron break the northern iron and the steel?

Job 20:24
24 He shall flee from the iron weapon, and the bow of steel shall strike him through.

2 Samuel 22:35
35 He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

Psalms 18:34
34 He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

If you're going to nix the BoM for mentioning "steel", then you need to nix the KJV as well. Are you prepared to do that?

As far as the other items go, apologists have already been on that for a while.

Questions about Book of Mormon Evidence

Book of Mormon Evidences, Part One: Not Proof, But Indications of Plausibility

Response to the Smithsonian Institute Statement on the Book of Mormon

Book of Mormon Problems: Plants and Animals

Your arguments are nothing new.

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Steel (1 Nehi, 2 Nephi, Ether) comes much later in history!

Crops: BOM mentions linen(flax), barley, wheat, figs, olives--these never existed in the New World prior to European settlement.

Ox, Cow, Cattle (Ether 9:18, etc) No cattle in American prior to Columbus ('In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue...")

And then there is the KJV of the Book of Isaiah, along with the distinctive KJV mistakes in translation from 1611. "The Book of Mormon explicitly quotes the prophet Isaiah. It contains 19 chapters of the KJV of Isaiah in their entirety, along with parts of a few other chapters."

We've gone through these before but I have a new computer and I haven't transferred my files over yet, I'll do this from memory.

Part of the problem with your 'steel' wording is you have to realize the book is called The Book of Mormon for a purpose. Mormon edited down what was written and in so doing he used a number of literary techniques. Steel is used just 5 times and 2 of those are in a generic metal lists called a poetic literary loop.

2 Nephi 5 I did teach my people to build buildings, and to work in all manner of wood, and of iron, and of copper, and of brass, and of steel, and of gold, and of silver, and of precious ores,

Jarom 1:8
"...and became exceedingly rich in gold, and in silver, and in precious things, and in fine workmanship of wood, in buildings, and in machinery, and also in iron and copper, and brass and steel, making all manner of tools of every kind"

This does not mean that they actually had steel but that Mormon used it poetically, there is a lot of poetry in the Book of Mormon.

However the other three times it is very clear they had something they called steel or Joseph translated as steel. Nephi had a sword which he took from the body of Laban and he had a steel bow which broke, so not very good steel.

There is wootz steel which was produced in India and traded as far away as Egypt, there seems to be no exact time line as to when they first started producing it. I found two articles

"There are numerous early literary references to steel from India from Mediterranean sources including one from the time of Alexander (3rd c. BC) who was said to have been presented with 100 talents of Indian steel" WOOTZ STEEL: AN ADVANCED MATERIAL OF THE ANCIENT WORLD

"Wootz is a kind of steel(Wootz steel refers to the material) with suspended carbon nanotubes made is southern India and Srilanka. The method of production originated in India around sixth century BC and exported globally. It was known to be one of the highest quality steel material at the time." https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-Damascus-and-Wootz-steel

So it is possible for Lehi's family who seemed to be traders,( having tents and everything ready to go and following the spice trails) would have come in contact with "most precious steel".

But then there is this in Ether ;

"Wherefore, he came to the hill Ephraim, and he did molten out of the hill, and made swords out of steel for those whom he had drawn away with him.."

This would place it sometime years after they left the Tower and way back before anyone was making steel that we know of but then the Bible has Tubal-cain working with brass and iron before the Iron age.

Upvote 0