wildboar

Jan 1, 2009
Visit site
✟16,141.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Many of the errors of the Anabaptists are condemned in the Book of Concord. The Anabaptists have pretty wide range of beliefs so it's difficult to say exactly in what ways Lutherans differ from the Anabaptists except for their view of the Sacraments. Also the Anabaptists in general tended to be pretty Pelagian in their understanding of salvation. We would also differ quite a bit from the Puritans on the Sacraments and Lutherans tend to continually point people to the objective work of Christ on the cross and in the Sacraments while the Puritans tend to be more subjective and point people within themselves.

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2009
Kentucky
✟12,610.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Peace and blessings to all,

I have gatheted from my own personal sharing with Mennonites that they have distrust of the mainstream sects, Lutheran, Catholic, Latter Days,and Baptists etc.

They think that we have fallen into a trap of materialism in society and were led to by our blending in with society. Made sense, but they didnt talk much about their beliefs, or their lifestyles, other than what is clearly seen. Buggies, plows, modest attire etc.

Cant wait to embrace them in the Kingdom!

Praise and exalt Him above all forever!

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Are there even enough Puritans around anymore to even "need" to have a position?

The basic problem with the Anabaptists is that their founders abandoned the Bible. They claimed the Holy Spirit revealed things to them and worked separately from God's Word. Some claimed they didn't need the Bible at all, they would just have the Holy Spirit reveal things as they needed it.

On top of that, they ended up kind of incorporating the fact they were peasants into their theology. They in general see being a part of the world as the trappings of the day with the wealthy. So you see communism up to and including the sharing of wives as very common in early Anabaptists.

Now they've certainly changed a lot over the years, but those things are still often there. The distrust of say "professional" clergy, the government and so on and so things like what is worn for clothing and such is often very important, and becomes a new law for people to follow. As such the gospel can be obscured.

In any case, they are quite diverse depending on what the Holy Spirit has supposedly revealed to different groups.

Many, though certainly not all, of the people I know are quite sincere and are what the world would say are good people.

Marv

Upvote 0

RMDY

1 John 1:9
Apr 8, 2007
Richmond
Visit site
✟10,946.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I have gatheted from my own personal sharing with Mennonites that they have distrust of the mainstream sects, Lutheran, Catholic, Latter Days,and Baptists etc.

They think that we have fallen into a trap of materialism in society and were led to by our blending in with society. Made sense, but they didnt talk much about their beliefs, or their lifestyles, other than what is clearly seen. Buggies, plows, modest attire etc.

Latter day saints are not mainstream christianity, and I consider them on par with Jehovah witnesses and other cults...

Upvote 0

Lokke

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
✟15,401.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

the Amish frieunds there dont trust society.they believe thiis is evil.they baptise with water
and the guy with the beard he have a wife.

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2009
Kentucky
✟12,610.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Latter day saints are not mainstream christianity, and I consider them on par with Jehovah witnesses and other cults...

Peace and blessing brother,

This is what was told to me by an elder Mennonite. He, lumped us all in together, all who have followed in the ways of western culture.

I dont know enough about the LDS to condemn them either, though. Every time they come to my home, I invite them in, sit and share. They are at least humbled in my presence. They dont try to convert me, or judge me either. We just sit around the family room and share. From what I have gathered in my conversations with them, they are cleansed in the blood as well. As for their dogma so to say, I dont go there. I do however have a problem with the whole lizard, toad, frog, whatever, by whom the Holy Spirit engaged Mr Smith!:swoon::D

Oops, did I just say that out loud!:D

Upvote 0

TheCosmicGospel

Feb 3, 2007
✟8,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Anabaptists were the first to reject infant baptism. They are the great grandfathers of the baptist church - not a very proud distinction!

They brutally murdered clergy, disavowed property rights, including wives. Not big on the Bible, more as how the "spirit" moved them.

Decision theologians - beware - they marked the path well.

Their doctrines were bad enough - their practices were worse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Anabaptists were the first to reject infant baptism. They are the great grandfathers of the baptist church - not a very proud distinction!
Actually, no. Today's Baptists (originally called "Particular Baptists") originated in the Church of England. They were influenced by Anabaptist ideas, as well as ideas from Lutheran Pietism and Reformed theology.

Upvote 0

TheCosmicGospel

Feb 3, 2007
✟8,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Actually, no. Today's Baptists (originally called "Particular Baptists") originated in the Church of England. They were influenced by Anabaptist ideas, as well as ideas from Lutheran Pietism and Reformed theology.

I was linking the two only in terms of rejection of infant baptism, which was a rejection of church custom for over 1500 years. Thus why I labelled them as "great grandfathers". We must include the Age of Enlightenment as one of the big influences of the Baptists, a good dose of understanding key Scriptures on the Sacraments according to man's reason.

So in my Lutheran understanding of the anabaptitsts, I immediately link the two. Since the OP asked.

Upvote 0

RMDY

1 John 1:9
Apr 8, 2007
Richmond
Visit site
✟10,946.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

They brutally murdered clergy, disavowed property rights, including wives. Not big on the Bible, more as how the "spirit" moved them.

Decision theologians - beware - they marked the path well.

Their doctrines were bad enough - their practices were worse.

I thought Baptists branched off from the Anglican Church due to methodism, which was based on the Wesleys...

Upvote 0