Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The strangest thing... My fundamentalist Baptist/Pentecostal (my dad and both brothers are ministers/pastors) family members are so dumbfounded and confused by our Orthodox faith they just simply don't bring it up at family get togethers.

Now that's an amazing Christmas miracle! :clap: :D

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The strangest thing... My fundamentalist Baptist/Pentecostal (my dad and both brothers are ministers/pastors) family members are so dumbfounded and confused by our Orthodox faith they just simply don't bring it up at family get togethers.

Now that's an amazing Christmas miracle! :clap: :D
This happened in my family. Nobody asks me anything. They refuse to bring it up.

I guess it avoids family strife, but I am surprised by the apparent lack of curiosity.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I must be blessed. My parents thought converting to Orthodoxy was just fine. They thought we were a little odd I think at first to join such an uncommon religion, but they were perfectly fine with it. They didn't come to the Chrismation because of my mom's severe health problems, but they were supportive. They ask how my reading went and how liturgy was all the time. They occasionally go to their Anglican parish, but they're cool about my choices.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some Pentecostals celebrate Christmas. Some do not.

But this is one of the main umbrella groups (not the only one) in which you might find a good many who refuse to celebrate particular or all holidays because they are considered to have pagan origins.

I'm not sure how curious my family is. Most of them never bring it up. Considering that they never, ever ask, I'm sure it's purposeful. I don't know if they are curious or not - more likely they assume they know certain "errors" I'm making from outward appearances and refuse to talk about it. Maybe to keep the peace sometimes, maybe because they fear being confused (or bewitched lol) by me sharing, maybe some other reason I haven't guessed.

But religion is a rare topic for me with most of my family. Which I regret - a few of them I used to talk about it at length.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think mine are afraid that they'll find out that I'm not Catholic. Their gossip is much better I imagine when they think I'm part of the "Antichrist" (The Pope).
:tonguewink:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We should all get together before heaven!!

Sometimes I am struck by how similar our experiences are, in spite of our living in very different places around the world.

We should get together in heaven and have a laugh about it.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We should all get together before heaven!!
I'm trying!

I've met a few from TAW. (One rather unexpectedly when he introduced himself and I didn't realize I was visiting his parish).

I thought you were driving down here to pick up chanting responsibilities for 7 weeks or so, Gurney!? ;)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read last weekend last minute since the other guy went out of town with little notice. So I announce "the Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone!" and Father back there cringed making this face. I thought, "holy shnaykees!" After liturgy I talked to him and he said he was mad AT HIMSELF because he had things marked incorrectly. It was tone 4, but there was a special prokeimenon for the Forefathers I was supposed to say at half-time on the third verse. He was mad at himself, not me. I then got mad at MYSELF because I should've known better!!

Next week has a special prokeimenon, so rest assured I won't forget that badboy!

I'm trying!

I've met a few from TAW. (One rather unexpectedly when he introduced himself and I didn't realize I was visiting his parish).

I thought you were driving down here to pick up chanting responsibilities for 7 weeks or so, Gurney!? ;)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I read last weekend last minute since the other guy went out of town with little notice. So I announce "the Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone!" and Father back there cringed making this face. I thought, "holy shnaykees!" After liturgy I talked to him and he said he was mad AT HIMSELF because he had things marked incorrectly. It was tone 4, but there was a special prokeimenon for the Forefathers I was supposed to say at half-time on the third verse. He was mad at himself, not me. I then got mad at MYSELF because I should've known better!!

Next week has a special prokeimenon, so rest assured I won't forget that badboy!

I think I'm only supposed to read the Epistle itself. I hope. I can manage a line from the Psalms. But I don't want to be thinking about that meme and announce the Pokémon reading ...

:D

(J/k!)

IMG_0854.JPG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now imagine if you celebrated Jan 7!!! By the way do pentecostals even celebrate Christmas?
Assemblies of God Pentecostals definitely celebrate Christmas, as well as Easter and Pentecost (at least 10 years ago, they celebrated Pentecost. I know that today they at least celebrate Christmas and Easter).

Upvote 0