Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"One person, 32 year old Heather Heyer, was killed in the attack. Nineteen other were wounded".

The Christian Forums user* sat watching, at rapt attention, as news of the alt-right rally in Charlottesville, VA was covered on the national news. They had never seen anything like it before.

"This is terrible! Someone ought to speak out against this...right now!" they said to themselves.

With a harrumph, the Christian Forums user got up from the couch and fired up their computer. Someone needed to take a clear stance on this hatefulness before it matastasized. It was the Christian thing to do.

Opening up christianforums.com, the user clicked on the link for the News & Current Events board. They were delighted to see that a discussion of the events in Charlottesville were already taking place, but that delight turned to sadness as users said mean things about Jason Kessler and Richard Spencer. Won't someone think of the Nazis?

Clicking the 'Post Reply' button, the user fired off a long, spirited post about how Jason Kessler and the other alt-righters at the rally are people too, and how important it is to respect their feelings and First Amendment rights.

My work here is done. Thought the user proudly, as they hit the 'Post' button and called it a day.

* Genericized to avoid picking on any one person
Ringo

Who said we have to respect the feelings of Nazis? Did one person on this thread or even board actually say that?

BTW, the importance of thinking other humans are not "worthless" is not for them. It's for us. It's for our own heart, soul and mind that we should never think this. In my opinion.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
ISIS is the bigger threat to the world today, and has killed more people than Nazis all together in the last couple of decades. This is fact. It does not say anything about whether Nazis are a great belief system, or Nazis are great people, or how anyone feels about the threat personally.

Facts are facts.
Facts are facts: ADL Says White Supremacists Commit 83% of Extremist Killings
With Hate in their Hearts: The State of White Supremacy in the United States

It's easy to ignore them when you're not a target of their attacks.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who said we have to respect the feelings of Nazis? Did one person on this thread or even board actually say that?

BTW, the importance of thinking other humans are not "worthless" is not for them. It's for us. It's for our own heart, soul and mind that we should never think this. In my opinion.

Duly noted, but don't hold your breath waiting for my heart to bleed for Spencer and his ilk. That's all I'm saying.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Um, the first article says these murders were "non-ideologically inspired".

That would be like saying all murders committed by black people are Black Lives Matter murders, because maybe, probably, they were sympathetic to the cause of BLM. That's grossly inadequate, however. I bet you can see it from that side, right?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Um, the first article says these murders were "non-ideologically inspired".

That would be like saying all murders committed by black people are Black Lives Matter murders, because maybe, probably, they were sympathetic to the cause of BLM. That's grossly inadequate, however. I bet you can see it from that side, right?
That comparison makes no sense because the focus is not all white people. Moreover, there has been a surge in hate crimes and attacks since 2009 (not surprising considering a historic first from that year): https://www.indystar.com/story/news...ite-supremacist-murdered-black-man/603073001/

Again, since you're not a target, you inflate the threat of groups like ISIS while ignoring the growing number of hate crimes and murders across the country.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Duly noted, but don't hold your breath waiting for my heart to bleed for Spencer and his ilk. That's all I'm saying.
Ringo
I just think it is a shame that we have such undying devotion to arguing that white supremacists and other extremist groups are not a problem when there is an actual statistical trend supporting that idea... meanwhile people still believe in the nonexistent, evidence-less knockout game trend. You are right, this is political correctness run amok where people attempt to equate a group that murders, beats, and attacks people while trying to incite its followers to violence with talk of race wars. Yeah, their views are the same as the people that advocate for less police violence.

• Agree
Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0