AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is an interest angle. A couple of weeks ago I heard the Universities are able to make decisions on who can speak based upon the academic value of the material that would be presented. An easy out what it's just going to be propaganda. But in this case, it seems to be a public rental space that the University happens to own.

University of Florida President W. Kent Fuchs denounced Spencer's white supremacist platform as abhorrent in a letter to students but said the school could not stop him from renting the Phillips Center for the event.

Full story here -->:wave:

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They're reportedly spending lots of $$$ for security, all to protect a worthless Nazi's life.

I'm just wondering what it's going to take before people start...you know...blaming actual Nazis for the trouble they cause. We've already had one death at their hands in Charlottesville, VA, and you still have people performing Olympics-level gymnastics feats to somehow spin that as Heather Heyer's fault or to blame antifa.

These people have never hidden what they are or what they believe. They've openly threatened synagogues, chanted "Jews will not replace us", and proudly marched under swastika banners. I know it's tough to accept that white supremacy is on the rise in this country, but we need to stop blaming the people who oppose Nazis (antifa) for what Nazis do.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People should just not show up. Totally ignore him and go about their day as if he doesn't exist. Why would anyone give this lizard what he wants, notoriety?
Hopefully, the school's ban on masks, all kinds of weapons, etc. will keep violent Antifa troublemakers away.

That doesn't mean one should ignore the issue. Discussions about the threat of the rise of racist groups needs to be addressed. They are not ever going to go away completely but they can be held at bay by moral and ethical people, just as the KKK has been for a generation, plus.

Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
ignoring nazis does not make them go away. it only emboldens them to act with more impunity when they see that nobody is there to stop them.
plus richard needs another dose of punch to the face. should always take your meds.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I was listening to a radio program this morning where they were discussing the topic of free speech, but this event in particular. In this particular case, Richard Spencer was not invited to speak at the university, rather, he signed up for space there and whatever the rules of the university, they could not deny his request. I believe this was also the case at a university in Texas awhile back. I think this will result in universities across the country disallowing use of their space from outside groups without the sponsorship of someone that attends/works at the university.

I've listened to the reasoning for people that either support or oppose him speaking and I think both sides make some valid points. For instance, he only has to pay $10,000 for security, which is paltry to what the university and city have to spend in order to police the element he brings to the city (they estimated about $500,000). When the neo-Nazis/white supremacists outnumbered counter-protesters, someone died. In most of cases when the counter-protesters outnumbering racists, it ends peacefully. He wishes to cause trouble and wants violence (that's why some of them are happy Heather Heyer died), so people need to stop pretending that these are people that simply have ugly views.

However, I was not as convinced by the people arguing that hate speech is not free speech because it really is. I think there is something to be gained by wiping the floor with their views and showing how idiotic and unwanted their beliefs are in the United States. There was one speaker that made a good point that we shouldn't simply prevent them from speaking because that doesn't make their views or ideas go away, at the same time he mentioned that empirically, disruption does have some affect on preventing the propagation of these views (which if they really did propagate, would result in a truly unfree society). But again, there is no silver bullet when it comes to these discussions. But there is still no good argument for saying, "Just ignore it," because that's only something you can say when you're not the target of that hate speech.

I recently saw a news story about lawmakers wanting to make disruption illegal, but that actually curtails free speech also. He made the point that you should be able to defend yourself against hecklers, much like a comedian must be able to deal with people that boo their act during a show. I think the main point is that disruption should not prevent the speech of others, but disruption in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

Those that walk around thinking the issue has a simple solution, probably have not thought about it much, in my opinion. I think the Constitution is always about edge cases, this is an edge case, and I believe this is the very reason we have a Bill of Rights. However, I dislike the groups that invite the likes of far-right elements claiming it is purely based on free speech because I've never seen them invite fools preaching Hotepism and other ridiculous Black Israelite-type garbage... although that would be quite the panel.

Upvote 0

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm rather fond of this idea from Alligator Brewing Co. for dealing with Spencer and his ilk.

DMZPJpfWAAAhynn.jpg:large

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm rather fond of this idea from Alligator Brewing Co. for dealing with Spencer and his ilk.

DMZPJpfWAAAhynn.jpg:large

Thak you! That's a wonderful approach. This is absolutely Canadian.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Thak you! That's a wonderful approach. This is absolutely Canadian.
Despite an initial guffaw, I feel kind of honoured you said that!

What a FANTASTIC idea. I hope they have put the notice up around campus.

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
They're reportedly spending lots of $$$ for security, all to protect a worthless Nazi's life.

I'm just wondering what it's going to take before people start...you know...blaming actual Nazis for the trouble they cause. We've already had one death at their hands in Charlottesville, VA, and you still have people performing Olympics-level gymnastics feats to somehow spin that as Heather Heyer's fault or to blame antifa.

These people have never hidden what they are or what they believe. They've openly threatened synagogues, chanted "Jews will not replace us", and proudly marched under swastika banners. I know it's tough to accept that white supremacy is on the rise in this country, but we need to stop blaming the people who oppose Nazis (antifa) for what Nazis do.
Ringo

Interesting. And sad.

Like the end of Animal Farm, eh? Where in the end you can't tell anyone apart. Your life is worthless because you think that, no, your life is worthless because you think the other. And oink oink go we all.

(Hint: Once you start thinking of life in these terms, especially when everyone who disagrees is labeled a "white supremacist", we're in big trouble. But hey, I already knew that.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
especially when everyone who disagrees is labeled a "white supremacist"
If one says they are a white supremacist, or they sympathize with white supremacist ideology, they just might be a white supremacist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
If one says they are a white supremacist, or they sympathize with white supremacist ideology, they just might be a white supremacist.

@Ringo84 supports and glorifies Antifa. Antifa considers anyone to the right of Marx as being a Nazi or a Nazi Supporter. This is something Ringo apparently agrees with as he took posts from @Ana the Ist and put them on images of Neo-Nazis, just because Ana disagrees with supporting Antifa.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Are we yet again seeing an attempt to deflect from a topic about white supremacists and make it not about white supremacists? The topic is a story about a self-avowed white supremacist. The mental gymnastics to change the topic from white supremacy does nothing but make one look like a white supremacist or sympathetic to that ideology.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. And sad.

Like the end of Animal Farm, eh? Where in the end you can't tell anyone apart. Your life is worthless because you think that, no, your life is worthless because you think the other. And oink oink go we all.

(Hint: Once you start thinking of life in these terms, especially when everyone who disagrees is labeled a "white supremacist", we're in big trouble. But hey, I already knew that.)

That would be a horrible thing to believe about someone.....if I had actually said them.

Next time, please engage the real Ringo84 and not the dummy made of straw that you set up to knock down. It saves us all a lot of time.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Are we yet again seeing an attempt to deflect from a topic about white supremacists and make it not about white supremacists? The topic is a story about a self-avowed white supremacist. The mental gymnastics to change the topic from white supremacy does nothing but make one look like a white supremacist or sympathetic to that ideology.

Maybe you should bring it up to the person who started discussing Antifa?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That would be a horrible thing to believe about someone.....if I had actually said them.

Next time, please engage the real Ringo84 and not the dummy made of straw that you set up to knock down. It saves us all a lot of time.
Ringo

You did not say, and I quote directly, "To protect a worthless Nazi's life"?

Note the context was security to protect someone's life. Listen, I think racism and Naziism is vile and disgusting. But if we label people as "worthless" because they hold vile and disgusting ideologies, are we better than they are?

I think the best way to view the situation--the Biblical way, not my way--is that we are all made in the image of God, and therefore NOT "worthless", but indeed invaluable. Some people go horribly awry in disgusting and evil ways. But that does not make them worthless, does it?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It's just another view...

3 arrested after shooting following white nationalist speech

Neo-Nazis are no different than ISIL. They have attacked, murdered, committed acts of terrorism in order to fulfill their desire for a nation that is racially "pure." They are only helped by the people attempting to treat their ideology as simply a view like a favorite pizza topping that is on par with any other views.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think the best way to view the situation--the Biblical way, not my way--is that we are all made in the image of God, and therefore NOT "worthless", but indeed invaluable. Some people go horribly awry in disgusting and evil ways. But that does not make them worthless, does it?

You can value peoples basic humanity without valuing their hate.

Upvote 0