WV
✟15,563.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So I realize this is an old topic but today was the first time I've actually tried to sit down and watch it. Presently, I am 20 min deep and already I have the following thoughts a) the first 5 minutes was perhaps the slowest, most dragged out and non-engaging intro I've ever seen like wow b) my immediate thoughts are this seems like a hodge podge of basic astrology, pop mythology and religious comparisons aka absolute drivel. The reason for this post is I am curious as I continue if there has been any responses written by Church Fathers or theologians in response to this mockumentary?

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hodge podge is right. I know they are guilty of not recognizing that there were two very different forms of Mithraism separated by time, culture, and geography. The earlier Persian version is not the same as the post-Christian Roman version. They lose major credibility points when they try to claim Christianity copied Mithraism when the version of Mithraism that has similar elements to Christianity came after Christianity. That's just one example off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No historians or scholars take this seriously enough to merit a response, with two exceptions:

1. Bart Ehrman wrote "Did Jesus Exist?" against it after he was falsely associated with the Zeitgeist movement.
2. The host of http://labarum.net/ has written several detailed ebooks and put out youtube videos where he breaks down the sources and history of this movement.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hodge podge is right. I know they are guilty of not recognizing that there were two very different forms of Mithraism separated by time, culture, and geography. The earlier Persian version is not the same as the post-Christian Roman version. They lose major credibility points when they try to claim Christianity copied Mithraism when the version of Mithraism that has similar elements to Christianity came after Christianity. That's just one example off the top of my head.
So true - was wondering on that myself when thinking where they were coming from in the video.

Upvote 0