• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

An offer of help :-)

raggedycamel

Goodbye
Aug 21, 2012
✟8,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

I haven't been on CF in a long time. But I have been coming here for years, and I noticed that they have this self injury support thread up now.

I had been a cutter and burner since I was 10. I'm 29 now. I used to do it every day.

I just wanted to offer a little help. I don't know if it will help. But since I've been in this same situation before... and I've overcome it... I thought maybe I could possibly say something that might help somebody. Even if it's just one person out of 1,000. :)

I had been seeing a counselor since I was 15. She knew I had been a cutter and all. Her name is Carrie. I still see her, actually. But anyway, she and I were always trying to find ways, other ways, to cope with my anger toward myself and my need for relief.... I always cut because I felt that I deserved it when something went wrong.

Well, I began keeping a journal. I wrote in it about so many things. When I was angry, I'd scribble on the paper, or draw out my enemies and then tear them up. Even parts of my body that I hated, I'd draw them out, and then rip them up, or draw on them what I'd want done to them... sounds morbid, but it served it's purpose at the moment.

I also began writing stories and poetry, and would get out my frustrations through words of my choosing.

Now, I tried doing something else, and this I DO NOT recommend... I used to get tattoos instead of cutting, so I could feel the ease of tension through the procedure. I would NOT do this though...

Another thing I done was dyed my hair red... and watching the red come out into the water it somehow eased the frustration.

(I did end up getting into other harmful things, but I will not speak of them here, because they are worse than SI and don't help, but hinder.)

I do, though, highly suggest keeping a journal or diary, paint or draw, write poetry or stories... use your frustrations creatively, instead of using them on your body.

Once you get in the habit of using them creatively away from harming your body, it does become easier.

(I wasn't a light cutter either... I have 3 inch gashes that were not sewn up, and left scars... and if I can get away from cutting and SI - anyone can!)

I believe in you all. You can cease self harm! It's very tough, I know. But it's not impossible.

I wish you all the best of luck in stopping your harming. Remember, the LORD is with you, and when you are tempted:

James 1:2-4
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

James 1:12-15
Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

I'm praying for you all! :pray:

Aquadoodle

LEE <3
Dec 28, 2014
New England
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
raggedycamel said:
Hello,

I haven't been on CF in a long time. But I have been coming here for years, and I noticed that they have this self injury support thread up now.

I had been a cutter and burner since I was 10. I'm 29 now. I used to do it every day.

I just wanted to offer a little help. I don't know if it will help. But since I've been in this same situation before... and I've overcome it... I thought maybe I could possibly say something that might help somebody. Even if it's just one person out of 1,000. :)

I had been seeing a counselor since I was 15. She knew I had been a cutter and all. Her name is Carrie. I still see her, actually. But anyway, she and I were always trying to find ways, other ways, to cope with my anger toward myself and my need for relief.... I always cut because I felt that I deserved it when something went wrong.

Well, I began keeping a journal. I wrote in it about so many things. When I was angry, I'd scribble on the paper, or draw out my enemies and then tear them up. Even parts of my body that I hated, I'd draw them out, and then rip them up, or draw on them what I'd want done to them... sounds morbid, but it served it's purpose at the moment.

I also began writing stories and poetry, and would get out my frustrations through words of my choosing.

Now, I tried doing something else, and this I DO NOT recommend... I used to get tattoos instead of cutting, so I could feel the ease of tension through the procedure. I would NOT do this though...

Another thing I done was dyed my hair red... and watching the red come out into the water it somehow eased the frustration.

(I did end up getting into other harmful things, but I will not speak of them here, because they are worse than SI and don't help, but hinder.)

I do, though, highly suggest keeping a journal or diary, paint or draw, write poetry or stories... use your frustrations creatively, instead of using them on your body.

Once you get in the habit of using them creatively away from harming your body, it does become easier.

(I wasn't a light cutter either... I have 3 inch gashes that were not sewn up, and left scars... and if I can get away from cutting and SI - anyone can!)

I believe in you all. You can cease self harm! It's very tough, I know. But it's not impossible.

I wish you all the best of luck in stopping your harming. Remember, the LORD is with you, and when you are tempted:

James 1:2-4
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

James 1:12-15
Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

I'm praying for you all! :pray:

I'd like to just say, you've helped me quite a bit. Before I joined CF I saw this forum while surfing the Internet, looking for ways to quickly heal scars... Then after I read this I joined CF and I read on. You've helped me so much, I am now one month clean. Thank you so much <3

Last edited:
Upvote 0