✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi All,

Lately we have had a marked increase in reports from members of this forum teaching, debating, and goading members of OBOB in their congregational forum. We have also seen an increased and marked tension between the two groups manifested in a number of complaints from both sides. This needs to stop please.

Here is a friendly reminder about the congregational posting rules located here.

Congregational Forum Restrictions, Christian Only Forums, and Off-Topic posts
Do not teach or debate in any Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.

This means that a member of one congregational forum can not go into a congregational forum where they are not a member and correct what they perceive to be an error. It also means that honest questions are allowed but veiled attempts at teaching or goading are not. It means that a member of another congregational forum can not come into TAW and do the same.

Secondly, all posts and threads in the congregational forums are subject to CF's site wide posting rules. If a thread is started in any congregational forum that flames another denomination please report the thread instead of replying in it. Please let staff resolve the situation. If anyone has a question related to any posting issue please start a thread in the Member Services Center here. All inquiries, complaints, suggestions, etc. will be addressed.

Thanks for reading this and for your cooperation. May God bless you.

Reactions: jacks

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This means that a member of one congregational forum can not go into a congregational forum where they are not a member and correct what they perceive to be an error. It also means that honest questions are allowed but veiled attempts at teaching or goading are not. It means that a member of another congregational forum can not come into TAW and do the same.

So, does this mean that we can make false statements about what Catholics believe/teach here and they can do the same to Orthodox in their forum and neither side can make corrections? Will there be a means by which false statements (or outright lies) can be addressed?

I'm just curious because of some of the things I've read in the threads here regarding statements made in OBOB. I personally have no problem with a Catholic correcting me or another Orthodox who makes an incorrect statement about their faith but it really bugs me that either side can do so with impunity.

Regardless, that is my only concern with the issue as I never post in OBOB and don't really have a dog in this hunt.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is someone telling them that they need to stop coming in here posting "reunion" threads and then running to other forums trashing us when it isn't received the way they want?

Is it considered goading when they have done the same thing over and over again for years and KNOW that it will cause problems between TAW and OBOB?

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, does this mean that we can make false statements about what Catholics believe/teach here and they can do the same to Orthodox in their forum and neither side can make corrections? Will there be a means by which false statements (or outright lies) can be addressed?

I'm just curious because of some of the things I've read in the threads here regarding statements made in OBOB. I personally have no problem with a Catholic correcting me or another Orthodox who makes an incorrect statement about their faith but it really bugs me that either side can do so with impunity.

Regardless, that is my only concern with the issue as I never post in OBOB and don't really have a dog in this hunt.

There are several forums in Theology where both groups can discuss issues. I understand that sometimes posts can be deemed by one group to be inaccurate, even to be a grossly false statement, but that is the nature of a safe heaven.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is someone telling them that they need to stop coming in here posting "reunion" threads and then running to other forums trashing us when it isn't received the way they want?

Is it considered goading when they have done the same thing over and over again for years and KNOW that it will cause problems between TAW and OBOB?

Yes. Please report the posts.

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are several forums in Theology where both groups can discuss issues. I understand that sometimes posts can be deemed by one group to be inaccurate, even to be a grossly false statement, but that is the nature of a safe heaven.

Fair enough, thank you. :)

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

This is the necessary consequence of the safe haven rule for any group. A very similar situation happened with two other groups on CF recently, actually. The "means" is and always has been the Theology forums or debate subforums in a given congregation if they happen to have one (which TAW does).

The benefits of the safe haven rule outweigh its negatives, in my opinion. Without it, people would be constantly harassing each other across denominational boundaries. There are a lot of people on this website who view as their sacred calling in life to "preach to the lost" (read: harass people who disagree with them). It's the Congregational Rule which keeps them in check, and it's the only way to keep them in check.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hentenza, this really needs to be addressed. The provoking by certian OBOB members really needs to stop.

Reactions: Gwendolyn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Be careful where you are too...

I went off on someone the other day thinking he was in TAW (and I should have used the report button)... He was in GT. :blush:

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

^^I have the same concerns as my friend.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Just reading down the thread. Thanks, Henry. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On a side note though, I think there is a bit of hyper-sensitivity going on. As an example, Cuncator's thread that was closed. What kind of place is this that guests are uncomfortable asking an honest inquiry?

I agree. TheCunctator has always been a sweet friend in our forum. He had some simple questions. I think this mess with the past couple threads bled into his by accident.

I don't ever visit OBOB unless someone posts something about a person who needs prayers. Then I go there to post that I'm praying for them. I have a very good friend who's Catholic, so I do not feel the need to post in OBOB.

Upvote 0