An interesting quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evangelion

<b><font size="2">δυνατός</b></font>

• The god of Judaism is the devil. The Jew will not be recognized by God as one of His chosen people until he abandons his demonic religion and returns to the faith of his fathers--the faith which embraces Jesus Christ and His Gospel.

Chilton, David (1984), The Days of Vengeance: An Exposition of the Book of Revelation.
What do people think of this quote?

Evangelion

Well, of course it is sick. It was written by a man who was clearly sick in the head.

He's dead now, thank God. But his disciples live on, and what he has written here, is only the logical conclusion of what they believe.

I would be interested to hear what they have to say about this quote. :cool:

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Evangelion

• The god of Judaism is the devil. The Jew will not be recognized by God as one of His chosen people until he abandons his demonic religion and returns to the faith of his fathers--the faith which embraces Jesus Christ and His Gospel.

Chilton, David (1984), The Days of Vengeance: An Exposition of the Book of Revelation.
What do people think of this quote?

Evangelion, The quote (page 127 in his book) may appear sick when read outside of the context. However david is then commenting on the letter to the church of Philadelphia. In that letter, God says... I will cause those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews, and are not, but lie - behold, I will make them to come and bow down at your feet, and to know that I have loved you.

The point being made here is that it is possible to claim to be jewish yet not truly be a Jew. See Romans 2:28-29, 9:6-8, Galatians 3:6,7,29.

For even stronger language go to John chapter 8 where Jesus tells the Pharisees (who were 'elite' Jews) that there Father was the Devil!

I'm not neccesarily condoning the language used in David's commentary, just that I can understand how he arrived there. And that the Bible itself uses rather harsh language at times.

Upvote 0

Evangelion

Hello Data Guy. Thankyou for responding.

Evangelion, The quote (page 127 in his book) may appear sick when read outside of the context.

I think we're about to find that it looks just as sick within the context, as it does out of it.

However david is then commenting on the letter to the church of Philadelphia. In that letter, God says... I will cause those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews, and are not, but lie - behold, I will make them to come and bow down at your feet, and to know that I have loved you.

The quote does not seem to fit this context very well. I would like to see a copy/paste which covers a great deal of room on either side of the quote, please.

The point being made here is that it is possible to claim to be jewish yet not truly be a Jew. See Romans 2:28-29, 9:6-8, Galatians 3:6,7,29.

I agree that it is possible to claim to be Jewish, yet not truly be a Jew. But Chilton does not appear to be saying this at all.

What he says is this:

None of this makes any sense in the context of Revelation 2. Chilton refers specifically to "the God of Judaism", and in the same context, "the Jew." He is clearly contrasting the unbelief of modern Jews, against the belief of Christians.

References to the Philadelphian ecclesia are notable by absence.

For even stronger language go to John chapter 8 where Jesus tells the Pharisees (who were 'elite' Jews) that there Father was the Devil!

...by which he clearly does not mean the Father (i.e. God), and so your point is irrelevant.

Indeed, if he had been saying what you claim, he would have been guilty of blasphemy.

I'm not neccesarily condoning the language used in David's commentary

Agreed. You're simply trying to find some other way of justifying it.

just that I can understand how he arrived there.

Well, that scares me, and speaks volumes about you.

And that the Bible itself uses rather harsh language at times.

...but not in the way that Chilton has done. :cool:

Upvote 0
...I would like to see a copy/paste which covers a great deal of room on either side of the quote, please....

Evangelion, at risk of copywrite laws... a fuller quote:

Therefore, Iwill cause those of the synagogues of Satan, who say they are Jews, and are not, but lie - behold, I will make then to come and bow down at your feet, and to know that I have loved you. Again the apostate Jews are revealed in their true identity: the synagogue of Satan (cf. 2:9). Again there is no such thing as "orthodox" Judaism; there is no such thing as a genuine belief in the Old Testament that is consistent with a rejection of Jesus Christ as Lord and god. those who do not believe in christ do not believe in the Old Testament either. The god of Judaism is the devil. The Jew will not be recognized by God as one of the chosenpeople until he abandons his demonic religion and returns to the faith of his fathers - the faith which embraces Jesus Christ and His gospel. When Christ-rejecting Jews claim to follow in the footsteps fo Abraham, Jesus says, they lie. ...

re: Revelation 3:8,9 pg. 127

I agree that it is possible to claim to be Jewish, yet not truly be a Jew. But Chilton does not appear to be saying this at all.

I'm glad you agree on this point (BTW, I would never call you sick, even if you didn't).

None of this makes any sense in the context of Revelation 2. Chilton refers specifically to "the God of Judaism", and in the same context, "the Jew." He is clearly contrasting the unbelief of modern Jews, against the belief of Christians.

References to the Philadelphian ecclesia are notable by absence.

Please note the use of a little 'g' in "the god of Judaism'. He is contrasting the true heart of the OT and the law - which always leads to Christ - vs. Judaism, a religion which opposes the Messiah yet claims God as their Father. Judaism includes countless man-made traditions and commandments, many of which explicitly contradict the scriptures. The commandments are often held in higher esteem than the scriptures themself.

...by which he clearly does not mean the Father (i.e. God), and so your point is irrelevant.

Indeed, if he had been saying what you claim, he would have been guilty of blasphemy.

Oops - sorry about the "F" in 'father'. My point is still quite relevant, though. The Pharisees claimed Abraham (and therefore God) as their Father. But Jesus countered with, "your father is the Devil".

I doubt that David was attaking Jews individually. He was placing Judaism (salvation without Jesus) as an enemy to the cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
We must also keep in mind the fact that Chilton was a Theonomic Reconstructivist.

His theology cannot be divorced from that context. :cool:

Evangelion, We all have our understanding 'tainted' by our background. I am not a Theonomic Reconstructionist but I can still follow his reasoning(s).

Upvote 0

Evangelion

Data Guy -

Evangelion, at risk of copywrite laws...

There's no need to worry. This is only a tiny portion of the overall text, and you're not claiming it as your own. :)

a fuller quote:

Therefore, Iwill cause those of the synagogues of Satan, who say they are Jews, and are not, but lie - behold, I will make then to come and bow down at your feet, and to know that I have loved you. Again the apostate Jews are revealed in their true identity: the synagogue of Satan (cf. 2:9). Again there is no such thing as "orthodox" Judaism;

Yes, there is such a thing as "orthodox Judaism", and it is OT Judaism.

there is no such thing as a genuine belief in the Old Testament that is consistent with a rejection of Jesus Christ as Lord and god.

That is certainly true. But then, so too is the corollory. There is no such thing as a genuine belief in the OT that is inconsistent with OT Judaism and all that it taught.

Trinitarianism is clearly inconsistent with OT Judaism.

those who do not believe in christ do not believe in the Old Testament either.

True.

The god of Judaism is the devil.

False. The God of Judaism - regardless of what form it takes - is the God of Israel.

The Jew will not be recognized by God as one of the chosenpeople until he abandons his demonic religion and returns to the faith of his fathers - the faith which embraces Jesus Christ and His gospel.

False. The Jews are still the chosen people. Their status as "the chosen people" does not change.

Whether or not those chosen people will be saved, is another matter entirely - and yes, it requires their acceptance of Christ.

When Christ-rejecting Jews claim to follow in the footsteps fo Abraham, Jesus says, they lie. ...

re: Revelation 3:8,9 pg. 127

No, they do not lie - they only speak what they believe to be the truth.

We all do.

*snip*

Please note the use of a little 'g' in "the god of Judaism'.

I noticed it alright. That's one of the first things which concerned me.

He is contrasting the true heart of the OT and the law - which always leads to Christ - vs. Judaism, a religion which opposes the Messiah yet claims God as their Father.

Judaism is not "a religion which opposes the Mesisah yet claims God as their Father." Judaism is the religion of the OT.

Modern Judaism is quite another story. But even modern Judaism cannot rightly be said to worship a god who is no God. Modern Judaism worships the God Who made heaven and earth and all things therein. Modern Judaism worships the God of OT Judaism.

Judaism includes countless man-made traditions and commandments, many of which explicitly contradict the scriptures. The commandments are often held in higher esteem than the scriptures themself.

This is certainly true of modern Judaism. So Chilton should have said "modern Judaism."

*snip*

The Pharisees claimed Abraham (and therefore God) as their Father. But Jesus countered with, "your father is the Devil".

True. But that's not what Chilton is saying.

I doubt that David was attaking Jews individually.

I'm still not convinced.

He was placing Judaism (salvation without Jesus) as an enemy to the cross.

He was making insupportable generalisations about Judaism. This is indenfensible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why yes I am! Thanks for noticing ;)

Modern Judiasm is not Mosaic Judiasm. It is the cult of Talmudic Judiasm.
AD70 made obedience to Moses impossible.

Jews today are no more Gods chosen than Muslims, Hindus, Bhuddists or any of the myriad of other Christ rejecting, Gospel denying people out there.

There is no class or race of people today that are in any sense accepted or rejected by God because of DNA, but all are freely accepted in Christ.

Besides, there is no verifiable "Jewish race" today anyway. The Church is the Chosen Genos, the one Holy Nation today. (1Peter 2:9)

Upvote 0

Evangelion

Parousia -

Why yes I am! Thanks for noticing

You're welcome. (The tagline under your handle gave it away.) ;)

Modern Judiasm is not Mosaic Judiasm.

True. They are worlds apart.

It is the cult of Talmudic Judiasm.

No, it is not a cult at all. It is simply a modern form of the oldest monotheistic religion in the entire world.

AD70 made obedience to Moses impossible.

What do you mean by "obedience to Moses"? Do you mean "obedience to the Law"?

Jews today are no more Gods chosen than Muslims, Hindus, Bhuddists or any of the myriad of other Christ rejecting, Gospel denying people out there.

ROTFL! :D

There is no class or race of people today that are in any sense accepted or rejected by God because of DNA

Nobody said that they were!

but all are freely accepted in Christ.

No, the only ones who are accepted today, are those whose beliefs and practices are both apostolic and Biblical.

Besides, there is no verifiable "Jewish race" today anyway.

Yes, there is. You will find its remants all over the world - but particularly in Israel and the USA.

The Church is the Chosen Genos, the one Holy Nation today. (1Peter 2:9)

No, the Church is only the community of adopted sons and daughters. Without the Jews, we would have no hope of salvation.

Thou art the wild olive tree, Parousia - and the root beareth thee. Boast not against the branches, nor be wise in your own conceit... lest thou be cut off. :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.