• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

An interesting night out

Garnet2727

Illogical, irrational, reprobate
Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Last night hubby and I went out to a local steakhouse for dinner. This is a place that we used to go every week and "everyone knows our names." We had not gone there since I quit drinking as this was a place where I got blotto everytime we went.

So...we went last night and sat at the bar as usual. The bartenders and the regulars were happy to see us. Within about 2 minutes, I told them all I had finally realized that I am an alcoholic and that I quit drinking. I kind of expected some kind of discomfort from the people there but what I found was exactly the opposite. Everyone was totally supportive and glad for me. And not one person was judgemental. The bartenders were particularly wonderful. Not a single tease and they re-filled my iced teas with the same alacrity that they used to re-fill my beers.

We had a wonderful evening and a great dinner, sitting in our normal places at the bar and jawing with friends until closing.

So how did I do drinking wise? Still sober. :) I had one incredible, undeniable craving though. One I'd never had before. I wanted something sweet! It was startling because I'm not much of a person for sweets. But I also wanted something light and not cloying like cake or brownies. Hubby and I and the bartender were talking about it. She said, "I've got just what you need." She fixed me a frozen virgin peach daquiri. Man, that hit the spot. It was better than any alcoholic drink I'd ever had. I savoured every drop and it sure took care of that craving.

I still find it odd though. Does anyone else have cravings for things they never did before?

mustang_94

Sep 22, 2004
✟15,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Last night hubby and I went out to a local steakhouse for dinner. This is a place that we used to go every week and "everyone knows our names." We had not gone there since I quit drinking as this was a place where I got blotto everytime we went.

So...we went last night and sat at the bar as usual. The bartenders and the regulars were happy to see us. Within about 2 minutes, I told them all I had finally realized that I am an alcoholic and that I quit drinking. I kind of expected some kind of discomfort from the people there but what I found was exactly the opposite. Everyone was totally supportive and glad for me. And not one person was judgemental. The bartenders were particularly wonderful. Not a single tease and they re-filled my iced teas with the same alacrity that they used to re-fill my beers.

We had a wonderful evening and a great dinner, sitting in our normal places at the bar and jawing with friends until closing.

So how did I do drinking wise? Still sober. :) I had one incredible, undeniable craving though. One I'd never had before. I wanted something sweet! It was startling because I'm not much of a person for sweets. But I also wanted something light and not cloying like cake or brownies. Hubby and I and the bartender were talking about it. She said, "I've got just what you need." She fixed me a frozen virgin peach daquiri. Man, that hit the spot. It was better than any alcoholic drink I'd ever had. I savoured every drop and it sure took care of that craving.

I still find it odd though. Does anyone else have cravings for things they never did before?
Not uncommon at all. Lots of sugar in alcohol. Many alcoholic's have used candy, etc. to overcome cravings for a drink. Be careful of slippery places though.:wave:

Upvote 0

Garnet2727

Illogical, irrational, reprobate
Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not uncommon at all. Lots of sugar in alcohol. Many alcoholic's have used candy, etc. to overcome cravings for a drink. Be careful of slippery places though.:wave:
Good point. I've noticed that I'm dropping a bit of weight since I quit drinking. No more sugar cravings since that night, though. And as for slippery places...you got that right! I've dropped out of our darts league. I'm not ready to face playing darts without alcohol while everyone around me is drinking.

Upvote 0