Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,094.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was passed this link to this Icon this evening.

I like it - never seen anything like this before

adelfotita34.jpg

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lol, yes it means "duplicate post". But now I see the real one is gone. I posted something like "I really like that too! Thank you for sharing it." And three posts popped up exactly the same. I changed the 2nd and 3rd to "DP" ... which CF made the 1st and 3rd. Now I see the one I meant to leave has disappeared?

Computer servers are fun sometimes. ;). Sorry for being the object of confusion though.

I really do like the icon, very much! It's almost the entire Gospel. :)

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm really glad it appeals to you all - I was stunned when I saw it - as Kylissa says 'almost the entire Gospel '

Annunciation

Nativity

Resurrection

Pentecost
That's how I read it too. My very first thought is that I'd rather see the Crucifixion included than Pentecost, but the Crucifixion is right in the center of it all.

I think the only part of the Gospel that's missing is what necessitated it in the first place.

That really is an awesome icon. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is truly beautiful, but I am always bothered and ashamed because of my lack of russian language knowledge and I don't understand what the icon says hehe

PS: I just looked at it more carefully and realized it's actually greek and not russian, sorry!

Upvote 0

MilesVitae

Nov 12, 2012
Massachusetts, New England
✟9,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That should be Pentecost. :)

Oh, that makes sense now - I only just noticed the tongues of fire (I guess that's just more confirmation for me that I'm on my way to needing glasses). Who are the two men in the middle?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, that makes sense now - I only just noticed the tongues of fire (I guess that's just more confirmation for me that I'm on my way to needing glasses). Who are the two men in the middle?
Well, most often I've seen only one man shown in the bottom center - a king. He is usually called King Cosmos/ Kosmos and I believe he represents the world - in the sense that the Holy Spirit descends and is received by those present, and through them He will be carried to the world.

(Forgive me if I've used the wrong way of expressing any of these ideas - like if one says "taking" Communion - any corrections appreciated.)

I don't know who the other figure represents?

It's like the icons of the Harrowing of Hades, to me. Usually I see one man beneath the broken doors. Sometimes there are two, sometimes it is a devil. The figures may be the devil, or death, or both.

I believe I have seen a robed woman in the Pentecost icon with the king figure as well, in at least one icon.

Maybe someone else will be so kind as to clear up the confusion? :)

Upvote 0