May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
My goal, in this post, is simply to enumerate all known doctrinal or practical errors taught by the Seventh Day Adventists under the influence of various false prophets.

The format of this post will consist of bullet points expressing the doctrinal statement as they make it. In some cases, where the view is not universally held by all Adventists, this will be noted through a qualification in parentheses:

Theological Errors
  • St. Michael and Jesus Christ are the same person.
  • Rejection of the Trinity (a belief historically mainstream in Adventism, now a minority view)
Eschatological Errors
  • An "investigative judgement" began in 1849
  • Annhilationism
  • Chiliasm
  • Impending enactment of worldwide legislation compelling Sunday worship
Mystagogical Errors
  • Ellen G. White is an inspired prophet
  • The "outpouring of prophecy" refers not so much to Pentecost as to her
Liturgical Errors
  • Sunday worship is an evil Roman Catholic conspiracy. (Minority view)
  • Christmas is pagan (Minority view)
  • Easter is pagan (Minority view)
  • Christians are required to keep the Sabbath
Practical Errors
  • Chrisrians may not consume pork or other "unclean" foods
  • Circumcision is mandatory An error on my part, the Adventists prohibit this. Mea culpa.
Historical Errors
  • The period 538-1798 corresponds to the "1260 days," despite a clear lack of meaning.
  • Albigensians, Cathari, Donatists, Montanists, Waldensians et al were good, proto-Protestant, proto-Adventists

There are doubtless several errors I've missed. There are also peculiar Adventist practices like Academy for tweens which are not strictly speaking theological errors, but which are nontheless strange and contribute to a sectarian culture existing in a state of disharmony with the world.

Last edited:

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do know a couple of former SDA's and I have never heard one of them say circumcision was mandatory. If you read the bible in proper context, Christians really shouldnt be eating unclean foods, but thats another topic all by itself. Christmas and Easter are based off Pagan customs, as neither are in the bible. When you look at the customs practiced during those holidays, you can easily trace where they came from, even though Christians arent holding those celebrations to remember Nimrod, but the origins of them are ancient Babylonian practices and can easily be proven.

When I asked them about the Trinity belief, many said they believe in God, he sent is Son Jesus to die for our sins, and God sent down the Holy Spirit, so its like they do believe they exist, but that all 3 are not the same...ie Jesus isnt the Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit isnt God, God isnt the Son etc.

After looking into the Sabbath and biblical history, it should more be that Christians "should" keep the Sabbath vs Christians are required to keep the Sabbath, but the Sabbath is really more about a day of rest rather than a day of worship. Being honest with ourselves, Jesus kept the Sabbath, The apostles kept it and so did Paul, so we cant take 3 lines of scripture that have the work "FIRST DAY" and form an entire new doctrine off it.

I dont understand why many hold so dearly to the false prophetess Ellen to the point where it is borderline Idolatry, but the same can be said for the RCC and the Pope, and the Mormons with Joseph Smith.

But the other doctrines of being Vegan, no dancing, no jewelry, no makeup....etc are just ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Are Pagan" and "have Pagan origins" mean two quite different things, however. And it's the former that I've heard Adventists insist to me is the case with Christian holy days.

The fact is that the survival of some customs that date from earlier religious movements was a deliberate move on the part of the early Christians and it didn't mean for a moment that they were accommodating themselves to Paganism. It would be more correct to say that they were mocking these Pagans by taking some of their sacred stuff and giving it a totally new (and better) meaning.

Of course, there is almost nothing in the way of religious symbolism that hasn't been used by some other group at an earlier time, whether that's an evergreen tree or light or something else. Incidentally, I don't quite "get" why you'd say that Christmas and Easter are not in the Bible, since the birth of Christ and his resurrection from the dead are among the events in his life that are described in the greatest detail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I do know a couple of former SDA's and I have never heard one of them say circumcision was mandatory. If you read the bible in proper context, Christians really shouldnt be eating unclean foods, but thats another topic all by itself.
Even though Peter, when saying that nothing unclean had ever entered his mouth, was told that nothing God makes is to be considered 'unclean'?
Christmas and Easter are based off Pagan customs, as neither are in the bible.
The birth and resurrection of Jesus aren't in the Bible? Gotcha.
When you look at the customs practiced during those holidays, you can easily trace where they came from, even though Christians arent holding those celebrations to remember Nimrod, but the origins of them are ancient Babylonian practices and can easily be proven.
Non-religious customs.
When I asked them about the Trinity belief, many said they believe in God, he sent is Son Jesus to die for our sins, and God sent down the Holy Spirit, so its like they do believe they exist, but that all 3 are not the same...ie Jesus isnt the Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit isnt God, God isnt the Son etc.

After looking into the Sabbath and biblical history, it should more be that Christians "should" keep the Sabbath vs Christians are required to keep the Sabbath, but the Sabbath is really more about a day of rest rather than a day of worship. Being honest with ourselves, Jesus kept the Sabbath, The apostles kept it and so did Paul, so we cant take 3 lines of scripture that have the work "FIRST DAY" and form an entire new doctrine off it.

I dont understand why many hold so dearly to the false prophetess Ellen to the point where it is borderline Idolatry, but the same can be said for the RCC and the Pope, and the Mormons with Joseph Smith.

But the other doctrines of being Vegan, no dancing, no jewelry, no makeup....etc are just ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
If you read the bible in proper context, Christians really shouldnt be eating unclean foods, but thats another topic all by itself.

It's not. The pernicious error that some foods remain unclean and that merit is gained by avoiding those foods is a clear example of the SDA preaching a false gospel in contravention of Galatians 1:8.

Christmas and Easter are based off Pagan customs, as neither are in the bible.

Not true. In fact, it is such an astonishing calumny against Christians as to be utterly worthy of derision.

When you look at the customs practiced during those holidays, you can easily trace where they came from, even though Christians arent holding those celebrations to remember Nimrod, but the origins of them are ancient Babylonian practices and can easily be proven.

Not true; in several threads I and other members have thoroughly discredited these malicious untruths. Christmas and Easter have nothing to do with Nimrod, nothing to do with Babylon, and nothing to do with Pagan customs or superstition.

If they deny the deity of Jesus Christ or reject the consubstantiality of the members of the Trinity, they have gone off the reservation.

After looking into the Sabbath and biblical history, it should more be that Christians "should" keep the Sabbath vs Christians are required to keep the Sabbath, but the Sabbath is really more about a day of rest rather than a day of worship.

It is about our Lord resting in the tomb on Holy Saturday.

Being honest with ourselves, Jesus kept the Sabbath, The apostles kept it and so did Paul, so we cant take 3 lines of scripture that have the work "FIRST DAY" and form an entire new doctrine off it.

Commemorating the resurrection of our Lord on the day He rose from the dead is not a new doctrine, rather, it is the ancient praxis of the Christian Church since the First Century.

I agree.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Admin Hat...

Since this addresses a particular group of Christians, this is off topic to this forum. It is being moved from General Theology to Denomination Specific Theology.

Mark
CF Admin.

Thank you. I was not sure whether or not this belonged here, or in S&L, or CT, so I posted it in GT.

Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Adventist teaching and Jehovah's Witnesses are similar in a great many ways. I was raised a JW and while I have great affection towards some of the members, some theological and logical questions present themselves upon even a cursory look at their beliefs.

To their questions about "pagan inspired" holy days: what came first, knowledge of the true, Most High God, or pagan practices? If we believe the Genesis account as true, there can be no doubt about the answer.

Further: who cares. To the victor go the spoils, and Lord Jesus has triumphed over sin and death and His people proclaim this on everyday, but with particular emphasis on certain days throughout the calendar.

Every day on every calendar belongs to God, and He may be rightly magnified.

If we accept Paul's Letters as authoritative, how can Romans 14 not put to rest any concerns about dietary restrictions?

The Sabbath? Romans 14:5.

One really has to engage in significant linguistic and logical gymnastics to get around the plain text understanding of these texts.

Upvote 0

Commander Xenophon

Member of the Admiralty
Jan 18, 2016
St. Louis, MO
✟3,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Adventist teaching and Jehovah's Witnesses are similar in a great many ways. I was raised a JW and while I have great affection towards some of the members, some theological and logical questions present themselves upon even a cursory look at their beliefs.

To their questions about "pagan inspired" holy days: what came first, knowledge of the true, Most High God, or pagan practices? If we believe the Genesis account as true, there can be no doubt about the answer.

Further: who cares. To the victor go the spoils, and Lord Jesus has triumphed over sin and death and His people proclaim this on everyday, but with particular emphasis on certain days throughout the calendar.

Every day on every calendar belongs to God, and He may be rightly magnified.

If we accept Paul's Letters as authoritative, how can Romans 14 not put to rest any concerns about dietary restrictions?

The Sabbath? Romans 14:5.

One really has to engage in significant linguistic and logical gymnastics to get around the plain text understanding of these texts.

You are very blessed to have escaped JWism, my friend!

Is it true that JWs like Adventists believe Michael the Archangel and Jesus Christ are the same person?

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
@Wgw, I'm a lifelong adventist and I'll try to put this as mildly as possible, but I'm afraid that your ideas of adventist theology is quite flawed.

1. Many of the things you claim about adventists are simply not true. I have no idea about where your mistaken ideas come from... Perhaps you've met a zealous adventist belonging to the theological fringes, who espoused non-official viewpoints? Please keep in mind that there are over 18 millions adventists, and random SDA members that you meet on discussion forums aren't necessarily representative of adventist belief in general. For instance, I know a I know a catholic who is a sedevacantist, but I wouldn't dream of taking his divergent opinions as an expression of official Catholic theology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedevacantism Hopefully you understand that the same is the case when it comes to the adventist church, not everything you'll hear from an adventist will be in accordance to our faith.

2. You stated a few things which best can be characterized as half-truths.

3. Finally there are things which you are right about, for instance, we unapologetically keep the Sabbath. And yes, we are annihilationists and we don't eat unclean foods...

Things you're wrong about:
  • Adventists do not practice circumcision.
  • Adventists are free to celebrate Christmas and Easter (if they wish).
  • Adventists are trinitarians, we believe in the Trinity. (This is our official viewpoint.)
  • Adventists do not believe in Chiliasm.
Half truths:
  • Adventists are certainly not the only protestants to claim that Waldensians, Lollards and Hussites are “proto-protestants”. This is a widespread protestant viewpoint. (The Cathars were heretics in some respects.)
  • This is no official “fundamental belief”, but adventists tend to argue that Michael is identical with Jesus. It is perfectly okay to disagree with this, and you don't have to believe in this in order to be an adventist. Furthermore, our argumentation is completely different from the JW's in this respect. Jesus is no created being, he is fully God and has existed from eternity. The word “angel” means “messenger”, and in the original biblical languages this word is actually used about "human messengers, prophets, and priests", in addition to celestial beings. We believe that Jesus is an “archangel” only in the sense that he is the supreme leader of the heavenly host. See Joshua 5:13-15. For more information, see: http://spectrummagazine.org/article/ross-winkle/2012/08/20/jesus-and-archangel
  • Yes, adventists believe that Ellen White had the gift of prophecy, but we don't deny that “the outpouring of prophecy” in connection with Pentecost was a fulfilment of the prophecies in Joel. We don't claim that the ministry of Ellen White was predicted in the Bible, if that is what you infer...
- - -

To sum everything up, you are of course free to disagree with adventist theology, but I would recommend you to get your facts straight before you go on a crusade against us...

there are also peculiar Adventist practices like Academy for tweens
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here. Care to elaborate?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
@Wgw, I'm a lifelong adventist and I'll try to put this as mildly as possible, but I'm afraid that your ideas of adventist theology is quite flawed.

1. Many of the things you claim about adventists are simply not true. I have no idea about where your mistaken ideas come from... Perhaps you've met a zealous adventist belonging to the theological fringes, who espoused non-official viewpoints?

Regarding Easter and Christmas, these aspects of my post have been in reaction to posts by @EastCoastRemnant and certain other SDA members, and various online polemics claimimg to be Adventist.

If these views are not normative of the SDA, then I am prepared to accept that these are fringe positions.

Please keep in mind that there are over 18 millions adventists, and random SDA members that you meet on discussion forums aren't necessarily representative of adventist belief in general. For instance, I know a I know a catholic who is a sedevacantist, but I wouldn't dream of taking his divergent opinions as an expression of official Catholic theology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedevacantism Hopefully you understand that the same is the case when it comes to the adventist church, not everything you'll hear from an adventist will be in accordance to our faith.

Indeed, Orthodoxy also has fringe groups, like some of the Old Calendarists, and some (but not all) of the Russian "Old Believers."

2. You stated a few things which best can be characterized as half-truths.

3. Finally there are things which you are right about, for instance, we unapologetically keep the Sabbath. And yes, we are annihilationists and we don't eat unclean foods...

Things you're wrong about:
  • Adventists do not practice circumcision.

Is this a theological rule, or are Adventists merely not required to? Because I have encountered polemics suggesting otherwise. There is also the case of Graham crackers and Kellogg's Cereal being invented to suppress the male sexual drive and auto-eroticism.

• Adventists are free to celebrate Christmas and Easter (if they wish).

Indeed, and in my youth I samg at a Christmas choir at an Adventist parish. I have no recollection of Adventist Easter, however. When you say "free," do you mean Christmas amd Easter are not official observances of the Church? Because if so, that's unacceptable, particularly in the case of Easter. Also where Easter is observed, on what date is it observed?

The observance of Easter on the date specified in the Nicene Paschalion is obligatory for all Trinitarian Christians, based on the ruling if the Council of Nicea. Why does the Council of Nicea have this authority? Because this council protected the Trinity from Arius, and St. Athanasius, who led the charge to defend the Trinity at this council, also defined our 27 book New Testament canon, coincidentally in his 39th Paschal Encyclical (in which he informed his bishops of the Alexandrian Patriarchate when Easter would be celebrated, calculated according to the Nicene formula).

It is unimaginably inconsistent to accept the Athanasian Canon of 27 books on the one hand, while rejecting on the other the celebration of Easter specified in the same letter in which that canon is first defined.

• Adventists are trinitarians, we believe in the Trinity. (This is our official viewpoint.)

You will note in my post I said non-Trinitarianism is a minority viewpoint among Adventists. It was mainstream prior to Ellen G. White, who had the effect of correcting for it to a degree, however, there has been in recent years an increase in the number of non-Trinitarian adventists. The SDA can and should, IMO, excommunicate them, and confess the Nicene Creed in all church services, but for the time being it has not.

@EastCoastRemnant has stated that he is a non-Trinitarian adventist, by the way, and I believe I have debated with two or three others on this forum as well.

• Adventists do not believe in Chiliasm.

Please clarify on this point, in that case.

Half truths:
  • Adventists are certainly not the only protestants to claim that Waldensians, Lollards and Hussites are “proto-protestants”. This is a widespread protestant viewpoint. (The Cathars were heretics in some respects.)

The Cathars were heretics in all respects. Now, regarding Lollards, Waldensians and Hussites, I myself regard them as proto-Protestants; my objection is that Adventists regard them as proto-Adventist, when in fact, ecclesiastically speaking, they looked rather more like Methodists, Lutherans, Calvinists or Anglicans. And as far as the Donatists, Paulicians and Montanists are concerned, these groups looked nothing like Adventism; the only ancient sects that bore any resemblance to the Adventistd are the Ebionites and certsin related groups.

This is no official “fundamental belief”, but adventists tend to argue that Michael is identical with Jesus. It is perfectly okay to disagree with this, and you don't have to believe in this in order to be an adventist. Furthermore, our argumentation is completely different from the JW's in this respect. Jesus is no created being, he is fully God and has existed from eternity

As stated above, an increasing number of Adventists are non-Trinitarians; in the 19th century, many, in fact, I would say most, Adventists, held to an Arian Christology. Indeed, one Adventist on this forum defended the identification of St. Michael with our Lord on the basis that Michael means "Like God." This is classically Arian or rather semi-Arian; compare homoiousios. This individual, it emerged, was a non-Trinitarian adventist, but I am glad they made the argument, because it actually positively refutes this grotesque doctrinal error on the part of Adventists.

Because Jesus Christ is God, of one essence with the Father, homoousious ("and the Word was with God, and the word was God", "I and the Father are one," et cetera), we know the proper theological name for our Lord in that sense is Emanuel, meaning "God with us," not "Michael" meaning "like God."

Yes, adventists believe that Ellen White had the gift of prophecy, but we don't deny that “the outpouring of prophecy” in connection with Pentecost was a fulfilment of the prophecies in Joel. We don't claim that the ministry of Ellen White was predicted in the Bible, if that is what you infer...

Perhaos you personally do not, but several of your coreligionists have made such claims, on CF.com.

- - -

To sum everything up, you are of course free to disagree with adventist theology, but I would recommend you to get your facts straight before you go on a crusade against us...

All of the criticisms I have posted here have been in response either to debates with Adventists on this forum, online polemical tracts by Adventists, or in the case of non-Trinitarian Adventists. historical articles in respected publications (sorry, old chap, I am afraid you are quite wrong on that point; whereas the SDA asa denomination does at least nominally embrace the Trinity, there is a wealth of historical material attesting to the predominance of non-Trinitarianism in Adventism in the 19th century, and a quick Google will connect you to scores of non-Trinitarian adventists active now, who in my opinion your church should immediately excommunicate until they repent.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here. Care to elaborate?

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Even though Peter, when saying that nothing unclean had ever entered his mouth, was told that nothing God makes is to be considered 'unclean'?

Read down a few more passages and the meaning of this statement is clear... this is clearly scripture taken out of context.

Acts 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

The birth and resurrection of Jesus aren't in the Bible? Gotcha.

You should take your time and actually read what was stated... he said "Christmas and Easter are based off Pagan customs, as neither are in the bible."
Now where in that did he say that the birth of Christ or the resurrection are not in the Bible? He said the holidays of Christmas and Easter are based off pagan customs which are not found in the Bible... I'll dumb it down a bit... no where in the Bible is anyone celebrating Christmas or Easter.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Read down a few more passages and the meaning of this statement is clear... this is clearly scripture taken out of context.

Acts 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

You should take your time and actually read what was stated... he said "Christmas and Easter are based off Pagan customs, as neither are in the bible."
Now where in that did he say that the birth of Christ or the resurrection are not in the Bible? He said the holidays of Christmas and Easter are based off pagan customs which are not found in the Bible... I'll dumb it down a bit... no where in the Bible is anyone celebrating Christmas or Easter.

Other than the Magi, the Angels, and the myrhh bearing women, and the Apostles...

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Other than the Magi, the Angels, and the myrhh bearing women, and the Apostles...
It was customary to bring a King gifts, as that is a custom back then and still is now. It was not saying, since some wise men brought Jesus some gifts, this means that you are to go and shop til you drop and buy all your friends and family some gifts for the birth of Christ on a random date picked in December. The gift giving custom came from the Saturnalia and any non-biased research will prove this. You will not find 12 days of Christmas in the bible and Christmas wasnt even celebrated in AMerica just 150yrs ago, so its clear this is an invention of Rome.

But Im not going to derail this thread, this is just a response to something that was copied form one of my threads and pasted about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It's not. The pernicious error that some foods remain unclean and that merit is gained by avoiding those foods is a clear example of the SDA preaching a false gospel in contravention of Galatians 1:8.

See my post above for clarification on the oft misquoted scripture of Acts 10.

Not true; in several threads I and other members have thoroughly discredited these malicious untruths. Christmas and Easter have nothing to do with Nimrod, nothing to do with Babylon, and nothing to do with Pagan customs or superstition.

In your own mind I'm sure you have convinced yourself but there was no "thoroughly discrediting these malicious unthruths". It's a pattern for you to make a hubric statement and then quote is later as some divine truth.

If they deny the deity of Jesus Christ or reject the consubstantiality of the members of the Trinity, they have gone off the reservation.
Nobody I know has ever denied the deity of Christ... as far as the equality of the Godhead, can you provide scripture for that? I can provide dozens that show the Son as deferential and obeisant to the Father. Also why is it they are always referred to as God the Father and our Lord Jesus? I can't find any reference to Lord Father or God the Son...

Commemorating the resurrection of our Lord on the day He rose from the dead is not a new doctrine, rather, it is the ancient praxis of the Christian Church since the First Century.
And yet it's still not found in the Bible...

Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You are very blessed to have escaped JWism, my friend!

Is it true that JWs like Adventists believe Michael the Archangel and Jesus Christ are the same person?
Yes!

This is absolutely what they believe. One cannot be a Christian with an incorrect view of Christ.

And YES I am blessed in that Jesus revealed Himself as the Son of, Second Person of the Trinity and welcomed me into a relationship and communion with Him.

Have you ever had a "close call"? You know, a half step this or that way, and you'd have been a goner, a half-second too early, or too late and BOOM!! no more you? Or maybe a medical scare that could have gone against you, but through grace and by faith, you're okay?

That's how I feel about my "escape" (although it wasn't all that dramatic: my mom just stopped going to their services) from JWs.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What are you on about now? Who said the birth of Christ wasn't a real event that was prophesied and long looked for by many people.

Where in the Bible does it say that the apostles gathered every Dec 25th to commemorate the birth of Christ.. chapter and verse please.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
It was customary to bring a King gifts, as that is a custom back then and still is now. It was not saying, since some wise men brought Jesus some gifts, this means that you are to go and shop til you drop and buy all your friends and family some gifts for the birth of Christ on a random date picked in December. The gift giving custom came from the Saturnalia and any non-biased research will prove this.

I said nothing anout gift giving, so this is a red herring. However, I would observe it seems just as likely to say that gift giving came from Chanukkah. I myself do not care much on this point as the exchange of presents is not a part of the Christmas liturgy.

You will not find 12 days of Christmas in the bible and Christmas wasnt even celebrated in AMerica just 150yrs ago,

The feast of the Nativity was definitely celebrated in the US 150 years ago. Indeed, we have accounts of Moravians in the US giving their children presents in the mid 18th century.

Here is a partial list of denominations present in the United States in 1786 celebrated "the Twelve Days of Christmas", which is to say, the period of time from Christmas Day until Epiphany/Theophany:

• The Protestant Episcopal Church
  • The Methodist Episcopal Church
  • The Lutherans (LCMS, various ELCA precursors)
  • The Moravian Church
  • The Russian Orthodox Church
  • The Greek Orthodod Church
  • The Roman Catholic Church
so its clear this is an invention of Rome.

Not at all. The fact that Christmas was celebrated from ancient times in the churches of Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, Constantinople, Ethiopia, Armenia, Seleucia-Cstesiphon, Edessa. Syria, Iran, Kerala, Malabar, Ceylon. Tibet, China, Mongolia, Bulgaria, Russia, Romania, and Georgia, among other places not under the jurisdiction of the Roman Pope (much to his annoyance) utterly disproves this theory.

But Im not going to derail this thread, this is just a response to something that was copied form one of my threads and pasted about.

Well, you did derail it, with entirely inaccurate information, no less.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
What are you on about now? Who said the birth of Christ wasn't a real event that was prophesied and long looked for by many people.

Where in the Bible does it say that the apostles gathered every Dec 25th to commemorate the birth of Christ.. chapter and verse please.

@Ubuntu claimed Adventists were free to celebrate Christmas...is this not the case?

Upvote 0