An Exegetical Commentary on the Paul’s Plea for Unity of Mind with and in Christ Jesus

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In his letter to the Philippians, Paul exhorts the community there saying: τοῦτο φρονεῖτε ἐν ὑμῖν ὃ καὶ ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ (2:5). Many different exegetes of this confusing Greek verse have offered many different interpretations and translations of it in light of their interpretation of the Christ Hymn which immediately follows (2:6-11). Each exegete’s unique interpretation certainly offers its own insights and critiques of other interpretations. For my part, I propose that, since Paul addresses apparent internal struggles threatening division among the Philippian community (1:17; 2:3; 4:2) by exhorting them to be “one minded” (2:2, 5; 3:15; 4:2), a proper translation of the text concerned with the historical situation ought to reflect the letter’s ethical purpose. Paul’s command in 2:5 then should to be translated in such a way as to convey that the Philippians ought to think with the same mind as is in the person of Christ Jesus among themselves; for the Church in Philippi will be unified in the Body of Christ only if they imitate, by their thoughts and actions, the Son’s humble obedience to the Father.

Continued below.
An Exegetical Commentary on the Paul’s Plea for Unity of Mind with and in Christ Jesus - Clarifying Catholicism

• Winner
Reactions: pdudgeon

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In his letter to the Philippians, Paul exhorts the community there saying: τοῦτο φρονεῖτε ἐν ὑμῖν ὃ καὶ ἐν Χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ (2:5). Many different exegetes of this confusing Greek verse have offered many different interpretations and translations of it in light of their interpretation of the Christ Hymn which immediately follows (2:6-11). Each exegete’s unique interpretation certainly offers its own insights and critiques of other interpretations. For my part, I propose that, since Paul addresses apparent internal struggles threatening division among the Philippian community (1:17; 2:3; 4:2) by exhorting them to be “one minded” (2:2, 5; 3:15; 4:2), a proper translation of the text concerned with the historical situation ought to reflect the letter’s ethical purpose. Paul’s command in 2:5 then should to be translated in such a way as to convey that the Philippians ought to think with the same mind as is in the person of Christ Jesus among themselves; for the Church in Philippi will be unified in the Body of Christ only if they imitate, by their thoughts and actions, the Son’s humble obedience to the Father.

Continued below.
An Exegetical Commentary on the Paul’s Plea for Unity of Mind with and in Christ Jesus - Clarifying Catholicism
Another good article Michie! Thank you once again.

Every Christian should at least read the last 2 paragraphs. Practical thinking. Think and act like Christ in order to be unified in Him. This "practical thinking" parallels a conclusion I came to in some work in the Greek Text some time ago on the word "epignosis". In my view it means "practical knowledge" - knowledge we put into use. This practical knowledge is God's desire for us to have and is paralleled to salvation in 1 Timothy 2:4. It's related to godliness in Titus 1:1 and expanded on in Titus 2:11-13.

It has seemed to me many of us get too ethereal in our thinking of what Christ has done for us. With information like this we can see that it is actually very practical, usable, to be lived out. It's related to the maturity of the Church, the goal in Christ spoken of in Ephesians 4. The practical is the heavenly - His will done on earth as in Heaven - not this nonsense seen as real by the world or the pseudo-spiritual thinking of some in the world.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another good article Michie! Thank you once again.

Every Christian should at least read the last 2 paragraphs. Practical thinking. Think and act like Christ in order to be unified in Him. This "practical thinking" parallels a conclusion I came to in some work in the Greek Text some time ago on the word "epignosis". In my view it means "practical knowledge" - knowledge we put into use. This practical knowledge is God's desire for us to have and is paralleled to salvation in 1 Timothy 2:4. It's related to godliness in Titus 1:1 and expanded on in Titus 2:11-13.

It has seemed to me many of us get too ethereal in our thinking of what Christ has done for us. With information like this we can see that it is actually very practical, usable, to be lived out. It's related to the maturity of the Church, the goal in Christ spoken of in Ephesians 4. The practical is the heavenly - His will done on earth as in Heaven - not this nonsense seen as real by the world.

Thanks again!
You’re welcome GDL. :)

Upvote 0