Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I feel so awful right now. I'm going to school to become a social worker, and today in class, we discussed our social work ethics and values. I posed a very important question to the teacher, and what I got in response was... bad.

My question was: "Being that I am pro life and referring my clients to abortion services would go against my religious values and beliefs, what should I do in the event that my client wants an abortion?"

His answer was: "According to the social work code of ethics, everyone has the right to self-determination. That means people have the right to make decisions for themselves. So, in that case, you would have to give your client the information needed to allow them to make their decision." He then went on to say that it would be unethical for me to try to convince her to do otherwise or withhold information.

While I understand where my teacher is coming from and the logic behind his reasoning... I can't refer people for abortion services when I'm out in the field. It's just not right, and I resolved a long time ago to not have blood on my hands at any time during my life. I can't do this. I can't become an accomplice to the murder of babies. Not after all of my changes of heart and such. It would be a spit in the face of God.

And it's too late for me to change my major now. I start internship next semester and if I changed my major now, I'd never get a degree before my financial aid ran out. So, basically, I'm stuck here.

I don't know that I'll ever have to make such a referral, but the possibility that I might have to is breaking my heart. I sincerely want to cry right now. But I have faith in the Lord and made an earnest prayer to him on the way home from school, asking Him to send me a sign on what I should do.

I believe that I could do great things as a social worker. I believe that I could, ultimately, be a tool for good and possibly even save lives... but how am I supposed to do that if I'll possibly be forced to refer to abortion services? Dear God, please help me...

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There are Catholic organizations that hire social workers and would not require you to do that. There are also other uses for a social work degree that would not put you in that situation.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Must of shook you to your core. I wonder what your professor would of said about an organization like Birthright? I realize he was most likely saying you can refer them to various places to make their own decision. But what is a Christian (Catholic especially) to do that wants to go into this field?

I remember my first confession my priest specifically asked me if I had aided or suggested to someone how to procure an abortion. It really upset me. I cannot imagine being in a field where that was a requirement. But as David said, you have other options. Prayers for you and the wisdom of God to guide you and His peace to give you.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not everyone has a right to self-determination... In our society, these babies have no rights and no voice. We need to speak up for them and defend the helpless.

I have heard all kinds of arguments (from other Christians included) for possible situations in which abortion is okay. For nearly all of the "reasons" there is an option that no one is considering. Even when the mother's life is at risk, there are medical procedures that can be tried which no hospital will tell you about.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He then went on to say that it would be unethical for me to try to convince her to do otherwise or withhold information.

Very interesting to hear what they are actually taught in school and know how they act on the job.

FWIW, I can assure you that most social workers not only do it, but in many many cases, make it a point to withhold information in order to save the state money. I've little doubt they are actually told to, and this is nothing new.

Use that however you like, if at all, but in my experience it's an absolute fact.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel so awful right now. I'm going to school to become a social worker, and today in class, we discussed our social work ethics and values. I posed a very important question to the teacher, and what I got in response was... bad.

Well, first, your ethics as a Christian trump anything your teacher says about professional ethics. Ethics is about right and wrong, and you don't look to teachers to tell you that.

Second, the law is the law (and ditto for professional rules of conduct, which is what some "codes of ethics" are). Sometimes the law and the rules run counter to your ethics as a Christian. This is true for many occupations. When such a collision happens, you do the right thing and let the consequences happen.

Third, you have a range of options. For example, you can, quite happily graduate, get a job, and quit your job if ever that choice between rules and ethics came up. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble (Matthew 6:34).

Fourth, as several people have said, there are social work jobs where you won't have to make that choice. Catholic organisations won't ask you to do that. Any organisation dealing with little kids or elderly people won't ask you to do that either, because 2-year-old girls and 90-year-old grandmas never get abortions.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoneyBee
Upvote 0