Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've been sent an article to see if I can come up with a way round a problem.

It's for inclusion in a Bulletin and my GodPapa needs to have some ideas within the next 12 hours. The bulletin need to be sent out by midday tomorrow [ UK Time ]

Here's the part with the problematical word

<<
The Burial Shroud (Ukrainian: Plaschanytsia) is a sacred icon of our Lord Jesus Christ laid in the tomb, which is depicted on a canvas. It became part of the rites of Good Friday Vespers and Holy Saturday Matins. During those services, we honour the holy shroud in a special way, because the history of the salvation of the human race is written in bloody letters on it.

The veneration of the shroud in the Church developed gradually. This tradition is associated with the veneration of the Lord’s Cross, which was found in the early 4th century by St. Helen, mother of Emperor Constantine, in the Church of Jerusalem. The custom of venerating the Holy Cross, especially on Good Friday, later passed to the Greek Church, and later still to the Latin Church – where it is preserved to this day. The spread of iconography, however, led to the development of a slightly different tradition in the Greek Church, which focused more on the image of Christ laid in the tomb. During the Divine Liturgy at the Preparation (Ukrainian: Proskomydia, the priest covers the Holy Gifts with a large rectangular veil. This veil, also called aer, is a symbol of the naked and dead Jesus Christ, who is carried to the tomb. That is why the laying of Christ to the tomb is sometimes depicted on the aer. At the Great Entrance, the deacon carries this aer before the Precious Gifts. And then the priest covers the bread and wine on the Holy Table with the aer and quietly says the troparion “The noble Joseph…” >>

Yes , the word is correct BUT sadly so often now it is used in a different way so he wants to use something different if at all possible.

I would be most grateful if you can suggest something. The original article [ much longer !! ] is in Ukrainian and the Bulletin is bilingual

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I see where he is coming from. What about "salvation is written in Christ's Holy Blood"?

...because the history of the salvation of the human race is written on it in Christ's precious blood.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"because the history of the salvation of the human race is written in ruddy letters on it."

Lam_4:7 Her Nazarites were purer than snow, they were whiter than milk, they were more ruddy in body than rubies, their polishing was of sapphire:

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
OK - we have been talking and your ideas have been a great help :)

I'm waiting to see his final draft - it does need to be brief so when it's in the bulletin things line up correctly when it's in the side by side format [ he's very very particular about that ]

Thank you all for your contributions

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
GodPapa has finally finished the bulletin - all 14 pages of it [ bilingual] !!

this is the phrase he finally used << ....because the history of the salvation of the human race is written on it in Christ’s precious blood >>

Now he can start preparing for all the Services for Great and Holy Week and Pascha. I could do with a chat with him - but there's no chance now till after Pascha

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums