• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

An atheist sticks her nose in

Garnet2727

Illogical, irrational, reprobate
Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I see that these forums are open now for non-believers I thought I'd stick my toe in and test the waters.

This is my story. I drank socially for most of my adult life and never really had a problem with it. Until...

In 2003, I started drinking every night. A few beers. Maybe a couple of glasses of wine. I was under a lot of stress and I reckoned that the alcohol was helping me sleep at night. The stress worsened and my drinking increased. Within a few months, I was drinking at least a 6 pack every night and much, much more on the weekends.

In March of 2004, I was laid off by my company. However, I had another job lined up which would mean a move from Michigan to Alabama. I looked forward to the move. It turned out to be the worst decision of my life. In April of 2004, two days before I was to leave for Alabama, I fell down the basement stairs after finishing off a 12-pack. Luckily, I only cracked my head open and had a few bumps and bruises. This scared me sober for a short time.

Fast forward through the rest of 2004, 2005 and part of 2006. Horrible experiences with job and people in Alabama. Husband trying to fix house to sell in Michigan becomes ill and can't finish. We end up living apart for over a year. Bankruptcy followed by getting fired in Alabama. Three months of unemployment, almost ending up homeless and then...a job offer in back in Michigan! :clap:

Throughout all this, I drank like a proverbial fish. It was not uncommon for me to drink 12-pack every night. I joked about being a functional alcoholic. After all, I was making it to work every day.

After my husband and I moved back to Michigan, the stress decreased and we were both much, much happier. Nevertheless, I continued to drink every night.

Now, beer was not enough. On the weekends, I would drink 12 to 16 beers then top it off with 3 or 4 double shots of whiskey. I started having black outs. I was turning into a mean drunk, saying horrible things to my husband and becoming combative. I would find things broken in my house with no memory of having done anything.

The final straw was this last September 10th. I woke up on the couch downstairs at about 7:30 in the morning. The last thing I remembered was getting nasty with my husband when, at around 3 am, he tried to get me to stop drinking and go to bed. He gave up and finally went to bed.

I also got on-line and made an obviously drunken post in GA here as well as in another board I belong too.

I had no memory of posting, but reading them that morning was frightening in a way I cannot describe.

When my husband got up later that day, I apologized profusely and told him that I could not put him through this anymore. I found out from him that not only did I polish off 20 beers, I also drank 5 double shots of whiskey. I was completely out of control and there was nothing he could do to stop me.

I have not had a drink since.

I will not drink again.

I cannot put my beloved through that mess anymore.

But sometimes, it's hard.

Anyway, that's my story.

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Hey Garnet2727 - welcome to the recovery forums! After your done stickin your toe in, do like I did and jump on in. I am not an athiest but not a christian either and recovery is recovery despite personal beliefs and you are most weclome.

So, you got a month sober. congratulations! Are you going to any AA meetings?

there are several different threads here i teh recovery forums that yo might want to check out and meet the others that post here. some good folks here.

anyways, welcome and remember, it really is one day at a time.

Upvote 0

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the welcomes, justanobserver and Lion of God.

To answer your question, justanobserver, I haven't joined AA. To all outside appearances, I'm a social person who is comfortable in groups. But it's just an appearance. The idea of going into a group of people that I don't know, outside of being on-line, gives me the wooly boogers. I'm much more comfortable with the relative anonymity of the web.

However, I'm not without support. My husband has been my rock. I have the support of both friends and family. In addition to this group, I belong to another bulletin board where I'm very comfortable.

So far, so good...and yesterday was one more day. :)

Upvote 0

formykidsiwill

Remember to FORGET!
Aug 18, 2006
✟7,976.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello. I see that these forums are open now for non-believers I thought I'd stick my toe in and test the waters.

This is my story. I drank socially for most of my adult life and never really had a problem with it. Until...

In 2003, I started drinking every night. A few beers. Maybe a couple of glasses of wine. I was under a lot of stress and I reckoned that the alcohol was helping me sleep at night. The stress worsened and my drinking increased. Within a few months, I was drinking at least a 6 pack every night and much, much more on the weekends.

In March of 2004, I was laid off by my company. However, I had another job lined up which would mean a move from Michigan to Alabama. I looked forward to the move. It turned out to be the worst decision of my life. In April of 2004, two days before I was to leave for Alabama, I fell down the basement stairs after finishing off a 12-pack. Luckily, I only cracked my head open and had a few bumps and bruises. This scared me sober for a short time.

Fast forward through the rest of 2004, 2005 and part of 2006. Horrible experiences with job and people in Alabama. Husband trying to fix house to sell in Michigan becomes ill and can't finish. We end up living apart for over a year. Bankruptcy followed by getting fired in Alabama. Three months of unemployment, almost ending up homeless and then...a job offer in back in Michigan! :clap:

Throughout all this, I drank like a proverbial fish. It was not uncommon for me to drink 12-pack every night. I joked about being a functional alcoholic. After all, I was making it to work every day.

After my husband and I moved back to Michigan, the stress decreased and we were both much, much happier. Nevertheless, I continued to drink every night.

Now, beer was not enough. On the weekends, I would drink 12 to 16 beers then top it off with 3 or 4 double shots of whiskey. I started having black outs. I was turning into a mean drunk, saying horrible things to my husband and becoming combative. I would find things broken in my house with no memory of having done anything.

The final straw was this last September 10th. I woke up on the couch downstairs at about 7:30 in the morning. The last thing I remembered was getting nasty with my husband when, at around 3 am, he tried to get me to stop drinking and go to bed. He gave up and finally went to bed.

I also got on-line and made an obviously drunken post in GA here as well as in another board I belong too.

I had no memory of posting, but reading them that morning was frightening in a way I cannot describe.

When my husband got up later that day, I apologized profusely and told him that I could not put him through this anymore. I found out from him that not only did I polish off 20 beers, I also drank 5 double shots of whiskey. I was completely out of control and there was nothing he could do to stop me.

I will not drink again.

Anyway, that's my story.

Hi Garnet2727! Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you came by to say hi. I agree with justanobserver, but you said your not comfortable going to a group. Just know, if you ever find yourself in over your head and need a place to go where you'll be accepted and understood, that is the place to go.

Blessings,
B~:groupray:

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the welcomes, justanobserver and Lion of God.

To answer your question, justanobserver, I haven't joined AA. To all outside appearances, I'm a social person who is comfortable in groups. But it's just an appearance. The idea of going into a group of people that I don't know, outside of being on-line, gives me the wooly boogers. I'm much more comfortable with the relative anonymity of the web.

However, I'm not without support. My husband has been my rock. I have the support of both friends and family. In addition to this group, I belong to another bulletin board where I'm very comfortable.

So far, so good...and yesterday was one more day. :)

heres some online support sites for you besides this site :) :

http://www.e-aa.org/forums/

http://www.aa-intergroup.org/

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

http://www.recovery.org/aa/

I think all these have online message boards and chat rooms to post and interact with others in.

dont know if this applies to you but heres another link:

http://www.adultchildren.org/

BUT you are so more than welcome to hang out, post, ask, tell, share. :wave:

Upvote 0

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the sites. I'll check them out. They may be just what I need.

I really appreciate how welcome everyone has made me feel here. I think that there are some things that transcend differences in beliefs and that we can help each other out.

I hope that my story can help in some way.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

I will not drink again.

Anyway, that's my story.

Howdy from another atheist. And like you, my spouse is the main impetus for me to get my drinking problem under control. It makes things a heck of lot easier when you've got a strong, loving partner to back you up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Howdy from another atheist. And like you, my spouse is the main impetus for me to get my drinking problem under control. It makes things a heck of lot easier when you've got a strong, loving partner to back you up.
Howdy Skaloop. It certainly does help! I can't imagine trying to do this on my own.

Upvote 0

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This evening, a friend invited hubby and myself to go out to a bar this Saturday to throw darts. Yikes! No way am I going! I don't think I'm ready to be around a bunch of people drinking. My dart playing is going to have to suffer for a while.

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
This evening, a friend invited hubby and myself to go out to a bar this Saturday to throw darts. Yikes! No way am I going! I don't think I'm ready to be around a bunch of people drinking. My dart playing is going to have to suffer for a while.

When I got sober 2 yrs ago, I could not be around anyone drinking for a while. I could not handle seeing it or being around it and I share a house with my stepdad's brother who drink every day! cant afford to move BUT in about a year or so that will change! :clap: da\\saving up to get a 5th wheel adn move into a RV park in the area. 'least wize, thats the plan

But now, have grown stronger and more confident with my sobriety that I will sit in front room and talk with him as he is drinking and most times aint a bother. Sometimes, well, I just get up, sometimes I can get a meeting and sometimes I just go to my bedroom , log on here and see whats up.

Am wishing you the best in your walk with sobriety. hook up with folks that are working the program (AA lingo) on line here at CF and other cyber spaces you may find. Loved ones is a big help but sometimes one just needs to talk with someone else thats been there.

Norm :wave:

Upvote 0

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Good luck with with the move Norm! Thank you for the good wishes. :)

Hubby still drinks but I find it doesn't bother me. But then, he doesn't get stumbling drunk either.

I agree though, I think it's best to stay away from environments where a lot of drinking is going on. It'd be too easy to think, well...just one won't hurt.

ETA: I'm Garnet on HH. :D

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Good luck with with the move Norm! Thank you for the good wishes. :)

Hubby still drinks but I find it doesn't bother me. But then, he doesn't get stumbling drunk either.

I agree though, I think it's best to stay away from environments where a lot of drinking is going on. It'd be too easy to think, well...just one won't hurt.

ETA: I'm Garnet on HH. :D

whats "HH"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums