An apology to all members of the military and police!

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I just want to say that I am truly sorry for all those years that I was close to believing in near total pacifism! Rabbi Jesus/Yehoshua once asked a question of the Scribes and Pharisees that should have made it obvious to me that an extreme situation can call for drastic action by a Christian or Jew who feels called into a life in the military or police!

Mark 3:4 "And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace."

I am almost certain that Rabbi Jesus/Yehoshua was referring to the situation faced by the Machabees when Greco - Syrian armies were attacking Jewish communities on the Sabbath.

One community had refused to fight back....but the Machabees....in my opinion correctly judged that this is a violation of an admonition by King Solomon:

Ecclesiastes 7:16 "Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?"

Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible, First Book Of Machabees Chapter 2
http://www.drbo.org/chapter/45002.htm
"So they gave them battle on the sabbath: and they were slain with their wives, and their children, and their cattle, to the number of a thousand persons. [39] And Mathathias and his friends heard of it, and they mourned for them exceedingly. [40] And every man said to his neighbour: If we shall all do as our brethren have done, and not fight against the heathens for our lives, and our justifications: they will now quickly root us out of the earth.

[41] And they determined in that day, saying: Whosoever shall come up against us to fight on the sabbath day, we will fight against him: and we will not all die, as our brethren that were slain in the secret places."

D2wing

Feb 12, 2013
✟15,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus healed a member of the Roman Centurian's household, and also gave instructions on how a soldier should behave. I believe we are to be loyal subjects to civil authority. Each person must follow their own conscience. Otherwise all Armies and authority would be evil and that is not scriptural. I am proud to be one that fought the good fight for freedom. But I do not judge a pacifist. It can be difficult either way.

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Jesus healed a member of the Roman Centurian's household, and also gave instructions on how a soldier should behave. I believe we are to be loyal subjects to civil authority. Each person must follow their own conscience. Otherwise all Armies and authority would be evil and that is not scriptural. I am proud to be one that fought the good fight for freedom. But I do not judge a pacifist. It can be difficult either way.

Yes..... and also the words of John the Baptist to soldiers, could have transformed the flavour of the Roman Empire..... if he had been obeyed.

Luke 3:2

Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.

Luk 3:14

And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

Upvote 0