Apr 8, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟18,472.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The following is from an email which I received about the subject of homosexuality on television, specifically ABC. It was a letter written by a man who confronted the television station, and ABC's response.

"Jim Neugent is a coach in Childress, Texas.

Jim writes:

My name is Jim Neugent. I wrote to ABC (on-line) concerning a program called "THE PRACTICE." In last nights episode, one of the lawyer's mothers decided she is gay and wanted her son to go to court and help her get a marriage license so she could marry her 'partner.' ! I sent the following letter to ABC yesterday and really did not expect a reply, but I did get one. My original message was:

ABC is obsessed (or should I say abscessed) with the subject of homosexuality. I will no longer watch any of your attempts to convince the world that homosexuality is OK. THE PRACTICE can be a fairly good show, but last night's program was so typical of your agenda. You picked the dufus' of the office to be the one who was against the idea of his mother being gay and made him look like a whiner because he had convictions. This type of mentality calls people like me a "gay basher." Read the first chapter of

Romans (that's in the Bible) and see what the apostle Paul had to say about it.... He, God and Jesus were all 'gay bashers'. What if she'd fallen in love with her cocker spaniel? Is that an alternative lifestyle? (By the way, the Bible speaks against that, too.)

--Jim Neugent

Here is ABC's reply from the ABC on-line webmaster:

How about getting your nose out of the Bible (which is ONLY a book of stories compiled by MANY different writers hundreds of years ago) and read the declaration of independence (what our nation is built on) where it says "All Men are Created equal" --and try treating them that way for a change!

Or better yet, try thinking for yourself and stop using an archaic book of stories as your lame crutch for your existence. You are in minority in this country and your boycott will not affect us or our freedom of statement.

Jim Neugent's second response to ABC:

Thanks for your reply. From your harsh reply, evidently I hit a nerve.

I will share it with all with whom I come in contact. Hopefully, the Arkansas Democrat Newspaper will include it in one of their columns and I will be praying for you.

- -Jim Neugent

Note:! Wouldn't Satan just love it if people stopped using the Bible for a crutch? Please resend this to everyone in your mailbox.

-- Thanks, Jim Neugent

I wonder if the person from ABC considered how many people would read this e-mail!
This is one we should definitely pass on."

I just thought everyone would like to know. :(

I have to say I have seen this email before, and from what I gather is most likely a hoax created by a Christian. Last time I checked major network corporations do not reply in such a tone. It sounds more like what a young adult would write. Not someone from ABC's customer relations department.

--Dan

EDITED (after first writing):

[I just noticed at the top of the page this is a Christians only area, so sorry for my post you may delete it if you wish]

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would like to get more info on if this is a true e-mail or not. There are many truths about ABC and their programming. To have someone from ABC reply like though seems unlikly, even though I wouldn't be surprised if that was their thoughts. You can judge a group by the fruits they bare. Of course when it comes to programming FOX seems even to care less about the values they have on their shows.

Upvote 0

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
This one is true, although it happened three years ago.

www.snopes.com is a good place to check about possible urban legends. They do indeed have a page about this one:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/practice.htm

The webmaster was not supposed to be acting as a spokesperson for an official ABC position, he was merely responding himself with his own opinion. ABC wrote Mr. Neugent an apology letter and terminated the webmaster who wrote the offending e-mail.

-Chris

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by dkewatson

[I just noticed at the top of the page this is a Christians only area, so sorry for my post you may delete it if you wish]

No worries Dan,

Thanks for being polite about it. While we do not neccessarily allow non-Christians to post here in order to keep this a friendly area, your insight was a valid and helpful.

God Bless,

Zach

Upvote 0