Sandiwich
✟314,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I watched a Paul Harrel video where he shot 30- I believe 50yo ammunition next to new ammo with basically no appreciable difference. As I recall some of that was shotgun in paper hulls too. Good question though.

Another good one might be what exactly is a cool dry place lol ! Paul might address that as well. If you've never watched his videos, imo he's got some of the best out there on gun handling and self and home defense logistics. Not to mention bits on hunting as well.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know...
In a cool, dry place.

But how long can it stay there and still be safe to shoot?

Many people are buying a lot of ammunition and storing it. Then fail to use it either target practice or hunting.

So how long can you legitimately keep it in storage?

I shot some really old 38 ammo this year. Still does the job. Been sitting in a drawer for at least 20 plus years.

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟46,421.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reason I was asking was that a few years ago I was talking to a gunpowder manufacturer in West Tennessee and they were saying that the powder gets "hotter" after being stored too long. Meaning more volatile and if not kept cold can spontaneously combust.

IE don't throw it away in a dumpster in the summer because of the heat unless you want to start a dumpster fire.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have some ammunition inherited from the 1950s, and it fires reliably. I haven't noticed it becoming "hotter" or less stable. I suspect that the storage conditions make a large difference in the old-ammo performance.

Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there are expiration dates on reloading components or ammo so it'll come down to whatever you're comfortable with. I've read that powder will get "stronger" as it gets older also. Firefighter friend told me that deteriorated powder can spontaneously combust. I'll take a good look at and sniff old powder before using. And as always, will start with a low powder charge and work up. Have powder 20plus years old. Oldest ammo I have is 30 06, 1961 lake city match, still good.

Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟301,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad I stocked up on 9mm ammo while it was still $14.99 a box (on sale $12.99 a box). Now the price is up to $23.95 a box and I can only find 9mm ammo at the gun range. 9mm ammo always seems to be sold out at Bass Pro Shops and Academy Sports where I live.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟46,421.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad I stocked up on 9mm ammo while it was still $14.99 a box (on sale $12.99 a box). Now the price is up to $23.95 a box and I can only find 9mm ammo at the gun range. 9mm ammo always seems to be sold out at Bass Pro Shops and Academy Sports where I live.

Reloaders make out during these times.

Especially if they have a good supply of supplies and dies.

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My father in law was telling me about reloads for his hunting rifles...

Said that they only reload shells twice before throwing them away. Something about jamming but I don't really remember well.
You need to run brass through a neck resizing process after being shot, a couple of times is to be safe. Then the brass itself gets weak or has the potential to weaken is the best way to describe it.Not to mention the main shell can balloon after several reloads. And forget reloading of aluminum casings like you find with certain brands of ball ammo or solid practice rounds in other words ( Blazer 9mm comes to mind off hand).

Right now it's tough to even find reloaders and reloading supplies fwiw.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,053.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You need to run brass through a neck resizing process after being shot, a couple of times is to be safe. Then the brass itself gets weak is the best way to describe it.Not to mention the main shell can balloon after several reloads. And forget reloading of aluminum casings like you find with certain brands of ball ammo or solid practice rounds in other words ( Blazer comes to mind off hand).

Right now it's tough to even find reloaders and reloading supplies fwiw.
Speaking of neck sizing...

I just got a set of Lee Collet dies for my 6.5 x 55; only way to go IMO.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Speaking of neck sizing...

I just got a set of Lee Collet dies for my 6.5 x 55; only way to go IMO.
That's a good video Mark. Thanks for posting it !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums