Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I shot a doe Saturday morning the opening of our antlerless private land hunt and I have had yet another ammo issue. Last year I killed three deer with this same ammo, Wolf 150 Gr 308 [Back Box} and had the same problems.

My problem is there is no blood trail. I shoot across a powerline and sometimes in the 350 yard range. The ammo is accurate but does not cause a deer to bleed well. I usually find the deer 100 yards or so away dead of course but hardly any to no blood trail getting there.

I guess it would have to be an expansion problem? I have never had this problem until I started using Wolf 150

Any ideas? I think I will go back to Federal power shocks

• Useful
Reactions: tampasteve

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never used Wolf, but I have used Federal and liked them. I would stick with the ones you know works best. It does sound like an expansion problem to me.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Never used Wolf, but I have used Federal and liked them. I would stick with the ones you know works best. It does sound like an expansion problem to me.
Yes I have had good luck with Federal and I will go back to them. Thank You

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
You guys shooting Bambi's? I can have no parts of this...........how does it taste?
Num NuM nUM ....PURTY DARN GOOD IF YA ASK ME :D Mine is fried with some tators with oinion and gravy and buscuits...

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Yep. This fits :]

Attachments

• e5e7ac2513ec1071e5b14c448fb77c36--funny-deer-so-funny.jpg
    e5e7ac2513ec1071e5b14c448fb77c36--funny-deer-so-funny.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 2
  • deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I shot a doe Saturday morning the opening of our antlerless private land hunt and I have had yet another ammo issue. Last year I killed three deer with this same ammo, Wolf 150 Gr 308 [Back Box} and had the same problems.

My problem is there is no blood trail. I shoot across a powerline and sometimes in the 350 yard range. The ammo is accurate but does not cause a deer to bleed well. I usually find the deer 100 yards or so away dead of course but hardly any to no blood trail getting there.

I guess it would have to be an expansion problem? I have never had this problem until I started using Wolf 150

Any ideas? I think I will go back to Federal power shocks
The Wolf brand bullet goes completely through and does not expand allowing the hole to close up and stem the blood letting. Blood trail usually comes from the exit side of the wound with very little coming from the entrance side. Penetration and expansion. Also, the speed a bullet is going will contribute to expansion, meaning it is going too fast to allow a sufficient amount of "pressure over time" to form the flower.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
The only Wolf black box .308 I can find is a full metal jacket that does not expand.
These are wolf 150 gr with lead tip. They are not the full metal jackets .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
These are wolf 150 gr with lead tip. They are not the full metal jackets .
I understand but my experience with Wolf is that their materials may be too hard to expand at the speed they are going. You are not the first Wolf brand I have heard to see their game run off without nary a drop of blood trail to follow. Later comparison suggested that the hardness of the lead was not consistent but they might have gotten better over the years.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I understand but my experience with Wolf is that their materials may be too hard to expand at the speed they are going. You are not the first Wolf brand I have heard to see their game run off without nary a drop of blood trail to follow. Later comparison suggested that the hardness of the lead was not consistent but they might have gotten better over the years.
I see, Ok that explains a lot. It seemed to group really good at 100 yards so I thought that I would like it but just cause it's good on paper doesn't mean it is in the field. I appreciate your information

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You guys shooting Bambi's? I can have no parts of this...........how does it taste?

Its a pretty gamey meat, more so than bison if you have ever had that. I'm not a huge venison fan.

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

The Gryphon

Sep 26, 2018
Canyon Country
✟23,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wolf is pretty inexpensive ammo. Back when I hunted I used Federal, Nosler, and Barnes are first rate. I hunted with premium controlled expansion ammo because I hunted in grizzly country and carried rounds that could stop one just in case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums