Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Are they alive? Some people think so, others say that they are pre-biotic. I take the latter view. Chemical reactions are not life. And it is chemical reactions that form amino acids.

Essential amino acids cannot be made by the body. As a result, they must come from food. The 9 essential amino acids are: histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine. Source: various, including Arizona State University, "Ask a Biologist".

All life depends on twenty amino acids, although there are hundreds or even thousands in nature. So the human body cannot produce nine essential amino acids. They have to come from food.

This post is to answer to some who doubt that I research statements prior to making them.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Biblical definition of life only referred to creatures with a soul and consciousness. So while plants and some other things may be 'alive' it is a different form of life and a different word would have been used.

Any breathing creature was said to be nephesh in the Old Testament and psuche in the New.
Plants, bacteria, fungi were not considered to be nephesh.

The Bible makes a sharp distinction between plants and animals.
http://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs/...lants-and-the-Biblical-Definition-of-Life.pdf
"The Bible never refers to plants as living. They may “grow,” or “flourish,” but they do not “live.” Neither do they “die.” The Bible teaches that they may “wither,” or “fade,” but not “die,” since they are not “alive,” having neither “life”(nephesh),nor breath of life”(ruach),nor “blood” "

Likewise amino acids would not be considered to be life by the Bibles definition of the word even if science decides they are. I don't think they do though.
I think this confusion over life is more to do with the limitations of English words more than anything else, as we certainly consider our plants to be 'alive or dead' even though they are not alive or dead according to scripture. There are plenty of word choices we use though such as 'sunrise' and 'sunset' and we know Biblical love had at least 3 meanings all of which were quite different.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Are they alive? Some people think so, others say that they are pre-biotic. I take the latter view. Chemical reactions are not life. And it is chemical reactions that form amino acids.
As i said, they are organic and are formed from inorganic materials and they can form independently of any living system.

Essential amino acids cannot be made by the body. As a result, they must come from food. The 9 essential amino acids are: histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine. Source: various, including Arizona State University, "Ask a Biologist".

All life depends on twenty amino acids, although there are hundreds or even thousands in nature. So the human body cannot produce nine essential amino acids. They have to come from food.

This post is to answer to some who doubt that I research statements prior to making them.
essential amino acids are called that because they are essential to our diet

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The Biblical definition of life only referred to creatures with a soul and consciousness. So while plants and some other things may be 'alive' it is a different form of life and a different word would have been used.

Any breathing creature was said to be nephesh in the Old Testament and psuche in the New.
Plants, bacteria, fungi were not considered to be nephesh.

The Bible makes a sharp distinction between plants and animals.
http://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs/...lants-and-the-Biblical-Definition-of-Life.pdf
"The Bible never refers to plants as living. They may “grow,” or “flourish,” but they do not “live.” Neither do they “die.” The Bible teaches that they may “wither,” or “fade,” but not “die,” since they are not “alive,” having neither “life”(nephesh),nor breath of life”(ruach),nor “blood” "

Likewise amino acids would not be considered to be life by the Bibles definition of the word even if science decides they are. I don't think they do though.
I think this confusion over life is more to do with the limitations of English words more than anything else, as we certainly consider our plants to be 'alive or dead' even though they are not alive or dead according to scripture. There are plenty of word choices we use though such as 'sunrise' and 'sunset' and we know Biblical love had at least 3 meanings all of which were quite different.
Yes, it's tricky. And evolutionists are prone to make it up as they go along. So some are saying amino acids are alive, hence "life" has been produced in a lab, somehow justifying 70 years of research. I'm not buying it.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
As i said, they are organic and are formed from inorganic materials and they can form independently of any living system.

Essential to our life and found only in food. Please be precise.

Upvote 0

Roqsbox

Jan 1, 2021
Holland, Pennsylvania
✟8,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Amino acids have been found on the Moon, on Mars and within meteorites.
I’ve never heard anyone consider an amino acid alive.
They are an organic compound.
Some (not all) amino acids are building blocks for life as we know it, forming protein molecules.

Rob

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Amino acids have been found on the Moon, on Mars and within meteorites.
I’ve never heard anyone consider an amino acid alive.
They are an organic compound.
Some (not all) amino acids are building blocks for life as we know it, forming protein molecules.

Rob
My post was in direct response to someone on the forum who considers amino acids to be alive. It seems more like OOL researchers grasping at straws to me.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I haven't either, that was Aussie's claim
I don't claim that amino acids are alive, that was why I wrote the post - to back up my statement that so annoyed someone on the forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't claim that amino acids are alive, that was why I wrote the post - to back up my statement that so annoyed someone on the forum.
the statement was "I’ve never heard anyone consider an amino acid alive." to which I responded that i haven't hear anyone say that either noting that you are the one who made the claim : "Are they alive? Some people think so" Please pay attention.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The same person who complained that I quote no research to back up my claims. I don't remember and I'm not about to trawl through all the responses I got to an innocuous (to me) statement. Evolution theory is surely the sacred cow of science.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
My contention is that whatever the body is made of, it is the "soul" that gives it life.

Responding to the soul you have been given, cannot happen without the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Even if you respond to your soul, it might be the will of God, to destroy it, hence we all fear "God" (and our soul, learns to live).

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The same person who complained that I quote no research to back up my claims. I don't remember and I'm not about to trawl through all the responses I got to an innocuous (to me) statement. Evolution theory is surely the sacred cow of science.
if it's innocuous then you would keep bringing it up

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums