Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
IMO, as almost everything I write usually is, Jesus and Paul have argued that freedom is the gift of Christianity. Freedom, according to Jesus( the truth will set you free) is to find the truth. To find the truth, one must be open to it and seeking it . To refuse to consider that one does not already possess all the truth and that it is possible to find truth in the words of others that have a differing opinion is a form of idolatry because one is considering one's own opinion to be infallible rather than considering that only God can be infallible.

Fair enough. I just don't see how libertarianism of the sort you advocate fits with my understanding of Christian freedom. My faith teaches me that we have more complex social obligations than what you seemed to be presenting.

Upvote 0

Terminal_Marxicity

Dec 16, 2017
Texas
✟17,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Fair enough. I just don't see how libertarianism of the sort you advocate fits with my understanding of Christian freedom. My faith teaches me that we have more complex social obligations than what you seemed to be presenting.

Libertarianism is a political ideology, your faith is a personal ideology. Mixing the two only corrupts both.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Libertarianism is a political ideology, your faith is a personal ideology. Mixing the two only corrupts both.

My faith has consequences for my politics, as my church has ethical statements and guidelines about our social obligations. It doesn't dictate how I vote but it does shape how I approach politics.

Upvote 0

Terminal_Marxicity

Dec 16, 2017
Texas
✟17,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
My faith has consequences for my politics, as my church has ethical statements and guidelines about our social obligations. It doesn't dictate how I vote but it does shape how I approach politics.

Does that include censorship?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Terminal_Marxicity

Dec 16, 2017
Texas
✟17,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
People should not abuse their liberty in how they speak, but that is more a matter of personal ethics than social policy.

So you do not support laws to restrict speech based on offense or perceived hurt?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
So you do not support laws to restrict speech based on offense or perceived hurt?

That really misses the point of what I said.

You don't have a right to abuse other people and lie with your speech. Thats's not an opinion based on emotion, that's civility. And yes, in some cases you can even be taken to a civil court because of malicious speech, it's called a lawsuit.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Funny, I'm a WASP-ish looking guy and I've never been united against. Maybe you're doing something else to bring it on.

As a WASP-ish looking guy, you don't feel like you're being marginalized and/or discriminated against because you're a white man? I'm asking because I've seen a few complaints from male members on this site who feel like they're being left out of racial discussions and even mistreated because they are white men. I wonder what the difference is between you and them, if you don't feel the same way.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I don't have a lot of patience for that sort of thing on the left, either, but then, liberal Christians have never been hardcore proponents of sola scriptura in the way that conservatives/evangelicals have.

I've had arguments on here in recent weeks about how things like gun ownership are allegedly "god-given rights". If that's not a filtering of scripture through a political lens, I don't know what is.

I have no context for that quote, but gun ownership is listed as one of the unalienable rights, endowed by our Creator, according to our founding fathers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have no context for that quote, but gun ownership is listed as one of the unalienable rights, endowed by our Creator, according to our founding fathers.

I'm aware of where it came from, but anybody who's taken even a cursory look at the Bible can see that that claim is nonsense, at least from a Christian perspective. God doesn't promise anything like that.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm aware of where it came from, but anybody who's taken even a cursory look at the Bible can see that that claim is nonsense, at least from a Christian perspective. God doesn't promise anything like that.

Well, like I said, I have no context for the quote. Are they saying that scripture tells them to shoot people? Or are they saying that the right to own and use a gun is listed under natural or god-given rights?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, like I said, I have no context for the quote. Are they saying that scripture tells them to shoot people? Or are they saying that the right to own and use a gun is listed under natural or god-given rights?

The argument was that anything we're physically capable of doing, we have a sort of natural right to do.

Regardless, this was hardly the only case I've come across where people argued the point that you articulated - that the constitution's claims of divine provenance were actually somehow scriptural.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As a WASP-ish looking guy, you don't feel like you're being marginalized and/or discriminated against because you're a white man?

No, that kind of claim is pretty laughable.

I'm asking because I've seen a few complaints from male members on this site who feel like they're being left out of racial discussions and even mistreated because they are white men. I wonder what the difference is between you and them, if you don't feel the same way.

For one, I've never been one to try and find reasons to blame my failings on The Other.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We have those obligations as individuals we are not tasked by our Christian responsibilities with controlling the actions of others by use of coercive governmental force.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
We have those obligations as individuals we are not tasked by our Christian responsibilities with controlling the actions of others by use of coercive governmental force.

Humans are more than individuals.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The new religion of the left is Intersectional Feminist Social Justice. And whiteness is the original sin.
Whiteness isn't the originally sin. The sin is White men stole land, raped, kidnapped, killed Indians. They owned slaves, beat them, had them make them money , clean, cook, a lot of work. No pay. Some of the women were rape. Segregated after slaves were free , cops harassed killed them. I'm sure They ended up living in the worst areas, with very little education. They were treated like animals. Are white people worry over these things. No, they pretend it never happen. And complain about them being on welfare .And wonder why they are complaning.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s meaningful, Mr. Martin says, that scions of the religious right like Jerry Falwell Jr. are not pastors like their fathers. “There was a lot I didn’t agree with him on, but I’m confident that it was important to Senior” — Jerry Falwell — “that he grounded his beliefs in Scripture,” Mr. Martin said. “Now the Bible’s increasingly irrelevant. It’s just ‘us versus them

"Only using the Bible when it fits a political agenda is our thing! They're copying us!"
Very true. What’s that noise? Oh! Rion is turning over he tables in the Family Life Center/Holy Deli/Coffee and Juice Bar!

Upvote 0