United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Opinion | America’s New Religion: Fox Evangelicalism

Journalists and scholars have spent decades examining the influence of conservative religion on American politics, but we largely missed the impact conservative politics was having on religion itself. As a progressive evangelical and journalist covering religion, I’m as guilty as any of not noticing what was happening. We kept asking how white conservative evangelicals could support Mr. Trump, who luxuriates in divisive rhetoric and manages only the barest veneer of religiosity. But that was never the issue. Fox evangelicals don’t back Mr. Trump despite their beliefs, but because of them.

It’s meaningful, Mr. Martin says, that scions of the religious right like Jerry Falwell Jr. are not pastors like their fathers. “There was a lot I didn’t agree with him on, but I’m confident that it was important to Senior” — Jerry Falwell — “that he grounded his beliefs in Scripture,” Mr. Martin said. “Now the Bible’s increasingly irrelevant. It’s just ‘us versus them.’”

The result is a malleable religious identity that can be weaponized not just to complain about department stores that hang “Happy Holidays” banners, but more significantly, in support of politicians like Mr. Trump or Mr. Moore — and of virtually any policy, so long as it is promoted by someone Fox evangelicals consider on their side of the culture war.

“It explains how much evangelicals have moved the goal post,” said Mr. Martin. “If there’s not a moral theology or ethic to it, but it’s about playing for the right team, you can do anything and still be on the right side.”

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And whiteness is the original sin.

Even my white liberal friend tries to make me feel guilty for my being born white.

Babies being born not of color are flogging themselves in hospital incubators.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Even my white liberal friend tries to make me feel guilty for my being born white.

M-Bob

Life is so hard in California sometimes. Poor white people.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Life is so hard in California sometimes. Poor white people.

Not we of this house for we feel very blessed and (thank God) the One up above for our blessings each and every day.

We do not feel guilty for being born white or the fact that we have and had good jobs for all of our lives. The goats eat very good and so do we.

And we also do not feel guilty for the beautiful weather here. True, we pay a little extra for it but, it's worth it.

As a little boy raised in the ghetto with all of my friends being minorities. Back then they did not want white ones to feel guilty because of their color.

Truthfully these days it seems to be the white liberals who wish for us to flog ourselves.

Oh I forgot about the Obama apology tour true the whole country should have bought flogging sticks.

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

M-Bob

It's only perceived as guilt in your worldview because you judge their motivations from the perspective of a particular worldview, one they do not necessarily share, and are quite unwilling to consider their point of view. They are speaking a different grammar altogether, one not based on 18th-19th century puritan-pietist religion, and one more based in modern realities based on the insights of science and modern philosophy.

• Agree
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Not we of this house for we feel very blessed and (thank God) the One up above for our blessings each and every day.

We do not feel guilty for being born white or the fact that we have and had good jobs for all of our lives. The goats eat very good and so do we.

And we also do not feel guilty for the beautiful weather here. True, we pay a little extra for it but, it's worth it.

As a little boy raised in the ghetto with all of my friends being minorities. Back then they did not want white ones to feel guilty because of their color.

Truthfully these days it seems to be the white liberals who wish for us to flog ourselves.

Oh I forgot about the Obama apology tour true the whole country should have bought flogging sticks.

M-Bob

I am happy things are good on the mountain. If life is good on the mountain, they why care what you liberal white friends think? Live in the lowlands is also good and I could care less of what liberal white people think about me or how I was born the way I was.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Got any comments about the topic of the thread?
There's the term, "Power of the press". At one time long ago that mostly, if not only came from the pulpit. In both cases a person's job is to spin a narrative for the organization they are a part of. Much like the NYT also does. They pick and choose their stories to create ideas that will resonate with the larger public, hoping to begin a momentum that will lead to polices and laws we all will live under.

So in a sense all the news media evangelizes too. They just use other words to promote their particular world view on the news.

Upvote 0

Terminal_Marxicity

Dec 16, 2017
Texas
✟17,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
What is the intersectional bit about?

Intersectionality is the means by which Islamists and Marxists hijack and subvert divergent civil rights movements and groups. From increasing Islamizing of BLM, Sarsour in the Woman's March and it's hojob glorification as well as ex-Muslim LGBTQs being shunned from wider events due to 'Islamofauxbia'.

It establishes a hierarchy in the victimhood totem pole.

It's classic Marxism, only replacing wealth class with race, sex, religion, disability, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Terminal_Marxicity

Dec 16, 2017
Texas
✟17,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
It's only perceived as guilt in your worldview because you judge their motivations from the perspective of a particular worldview, one they do not necessarily share, and are quite unwilling to consider their point of view. They are speaking a different grammar altogether, one not based on 18th-19th century puritan-pietist religion, and one more based in modern realities based on the insights of science and modern philosophy.

You sure know a lot about his friends...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status