America's Founding Fathers And Christianity.

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟83,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
George Washington

Judge; Member of the Continental Congress; Commander-In-Chief of the Continental Army; President of the Constitutional Convention; First President of the United States; Father of His Country:

You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are.

While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. to the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian.

The blessing and protection of Heaven are at all times necessary but especially so in times of public distress and danger. The General hopes and trusts that every officer and man will endeavor to live and act as becomes a Christian soldier, defending the dearest rights and liberties of his country.

I now make it my earnest prayer that God would… most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of the mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion.

John Adams

signer of the Declaration of Independence; Judge; Diplomat; One of Two Signers of the Bill of Rights; Second President of the United States:

The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.

Without religion, this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in polite company: I mean hell.

The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity and humanity.

Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only law book and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited. . . . What a Eutopia – what a Paradise would this region be!

I have examined all religions, and the result is that the Bible is the best book in the world.

Dr. Benjamin Rush

signer of the Declaration of Independence; Surgeon General of the Continental Army; Ratifier of the U. S. Constitution; Father of American Medicine; Treasurer of the U. S. Mint; Father of Public Schools Under The Constitution

The Gospel of Jesus Christ prescribes the wisest rules for just conduct in every situation of life. Happy they who are enabled to obey them in all situations! . . . My only hope of salvation is in the infinite transcendent love of God manifested to the world by the death of His Son upon the Cross. Nothing but His blood will wash away my sins [Acts 22:16]. I rely exclusively upon it. Come, Lord Jesus! Come quickly! [Revelation 22:20]

I do not believe that the Constitution was the offspring of inspiration, but I am as satisfied that it is as much the work of a Divine Providence as any of the miracles recorded in the Old and New Testament.

By renouncing the Bible, philosophers swing from their moorings upon all moral subjects It is the only correct map of the human heart that ever has been published.

[T]he greatest discoveries in science have been made by Christian philosophers and . . . there is the most knowledge in those countries where there is the most Christianity.

[T]he only means of establishing and perpetuating our republican forms of government is the universal education of our youth in the principles of Christianity by means of the Bible.

The great enemy of the salvation of man, in my opinion, never invented a more effective means of limiting Christianity from the world than by persuading mankind that it was improper to read the Bible at schools.

[C]hristianity is the only true and perfect religion; and in proportion as mankind adopt its principles and obey its precepts, they will be wise and happy.

The Bible contains more knowledge necessary to man in his present state than any other book in the world.

The Bible, when not read in schools, is seldom read in any subsequent period of life [T]he Bible should be read in our schools in preference to all other books because it contains the greatest portion of that kind of knowledge which is calculated to produce private and public happiness.

Christian Heritage Fellowship

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
George Washington

Judge; Member of the Continental Congress; Commander-In-Chief of the Continental Army; President of the Constitutional Convention; First President of the United States; Father of His Country:

You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are.

While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. to the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian.

The blessing and protection of Heaven are at all times necessary but especially so in times of public distress and danger. The General hopes and trusts that every officer and man will endeavor to live and act as becomes a Christian soldier, defending the dearest rights and liberties of his country.

I now make it my earnest prayer that God would… most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of the mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion.

John Adams

signer of the Declaration of Independence; Judge; Diplomat; One of Two Signers of the Bill of Rights; Second President of the United States:

The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.

Without religion, this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in polite company: I mean hell.

The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity and humanity.

Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only law book and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited. . . . What a Eutopia – what a Paradise would this region be!

I have examined all religions, and the result is that the Bible is the best book in the world.

Dr. Benjamin Rush

signer of the Declaration of Independence; Surgeon General of the Continental Army; Ratifier of the U. S. Constitution; Father of American Medicine; Treasurer of the U. S. Mint; Father of Public Schools Under The Constitution

The Gospel of Jesus Christ prescribes the wisest rules for just conduct in every situation of life. Happy they who are enabled to obey them in all situations! . . . My only hope of salvation is in the infinite transcendent love of God manifested to the world by the death of His Son upon the Cross. Nothing but His blood will wash away my sins [Acts 22:16]. I rely exclusively upon it. Come, Lord Jesus! Come quickly! [Revelation 22:20]

I do not believe that the Constitution was the offspring of inspiration, but I am as satisfied that it is as much the work of a Divine Providence as any of the miracles recorded in the Old and New Testament.

By renouncing the Bible, philosophers swing from their moorings upon all moral subjects It is the only correct map of the human heart that ever has been published.

[T]he greatest discoveries in science have been made by Christian philosophers and . . . there is the most knowledge in those countries where there is the most Christianity.

[T]he only means of establishing and perpetuating our republican forms of government is the universal education of our youth in the principles of Christianity by means of the Bible.

The great enemy of the salvation of man, in my opinion, never invented a more effective means of limiting Christianity from the world than by persuading mankind that it was improper to read the Bible at schools.

[C]hristianity is the only true and perfect religion; and in proportion as mankind adopt its principles and obey its precepts, they will be wise and happy.

The Bible contains more knowledge necessary to man in his present state than any other book in the world.

The Bible, when not read in schools, is seldom read in any subsequent period of life [T]he Bible should be read in our schools in preference to all other books because it contains the greatest portion of that kind of knowledge which is calculated to produce private and public happiness.

Christian Heritage Fellowship
Even if the United States had been founded as a Christian nation, it is most certainly not a right-wing fundamentalist evangelical Protestant nation. The founders were deists or Christians belonging to denominations which today's "Christian Right" regard with nothing but contempt and hostility. We know full well that the Christian Right looks back on the 19th and early 20th century as a golden age when Evangelical Protestantism enjoyed an unwarranted hegemony as the unofficial state religion, and see yourselves as the only true heirs of that tradition.

But those days are never coming back.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We know full well that the Christian Right looks back on the 19th and early 20th century as a golden age when Evangelical Protestantism enjoyed an unwarranted hegemony as the unofficial state religion, and see yourselves as the only true heirs of that tradition.

I bet people in those times would have thought a pagan and anti-christian time would not be returned to as well....and they were wrong.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
America needs to look not only at the "founding fathers" but also the Pilgrim Fathers (who ever more so were the origins of the nation).

If they could see America today, they'd probably be looking for another new land to head to...

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I bet people in those times would have thought a pagan and anti-christian time would not be returned to as well....and they were wrong.
the Fundamentalists brought it on themselves. Better a pagan nation than one run by the Christian Right.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the Fundamentalists brought it on themselves. Better a pagan nation than one run by the Christian Right.

I'm sorry, WHAT did you just say?

You, an "anglican", would rather a Pagan nation than a Christian one?

Your name is well chosen, as the boat that leaked and turned back, letting down the Pilgrims on board.

• Agree
Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
America needs to look not only at the "founding fathers" but also the Pilgrim Fathers (who ever more so were the origins of the nation).

If they could see America today, they'd probably be looking for another new land to head to...

and bring their slaves with them whilst crushing innocent people with rocks for accusations of witchcraft?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

You bet. Because I would be better treated in a Pagan nation. I've lived in the Bible Belt as an Anglican--a "Bible-hating, Christ-denying commie." Why should I want the whole country to be run that way?

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
and bring their slaves with them whilst crushing innocent people with rocks for accusations of witchcraft?

...as opposed to relying on a cheap import economy propped up by sweatshop labor in the third world, you mean?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The founding fathers were probably more culturally Christian. By the time of the American revolution, Christian orthodoxy was in retreat in the Ivy League. Harvard was Unitarian by 1800. Only by going back to early colonial history can we find a truly Christian America.

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That you choose Pagan over Christian speaks volumes.
About my experience of the Christian Right. Pagans, at least, will acknowledge that I am a Christian.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟83,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your name is well chosen, as the boat that leaked and turned back, letting down the Pilgrims on board.

Matthew 7:13-20KJV
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

• Agree
Reactions: Inkfingers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I'm a practicing Baptist and I would prefer a pagan nation to one run by the phony, power-hungry charlatans who run the "Christian" right today.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm a practicing Baptist and I would prefer a pagan nation to one run by the phony, power-hungry charlatans who run the "Christian" right today.

Since when is a "practicing Baptist" someone described by "Other Religion"?

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟83,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...as opposed to relying on a cheap import economy propped up by sweatshop labor in the third world, you mean?
You mean like wearing Hanes underwear that are produced by child labor in Bangladesh at a scale of 7 cents an hour, and you claim slave labor, how dare you!

Bout time Liberals check their underwear!

Yor 100% correct, slaves are in sweat shops around the world now, and to stop the trade and abuse we need tariffs, exactly what Trump is doing!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Inkfingers
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even if the United States had been founded as a Christian nation, it is most certainly not a right-wing fundamentalist evangelical Protestant nation. The founders were deists or Christians belonging to denominations which today's "Christian Right" regard with nothing but contempt and hostility. We know full well that the Christian Right looks back on the 19th and early 20th century as a golden age when Evangelical Protestantism enjoyed an unwarranted hegemony as the unofficial state religion, and see yourselves as the only true heirs of that tradition.

As far as I'm concerned, he just opened a gigantic can of worms and I'm thoroughly going to enjoy ripping the facade in the OP of America being founded on Christian principles to shreds.

First, let's take a look at what these Christian "Founding Fathers" said about Native Americans.

“If it be the design of Providence to extirpate these Savages in order to make room for cultivators of the Earth, it seems not improbable that rum may be the appointed means.” - Benjamin Franklin

“This unfortunate race, whom we had been taking so much pains to save and to civilize, have by their unexpected desertion and ferocious barbarities justified extermination and now await our decision on their fate.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The immediate objectives are the total destruction and devastation of their settlements and the capture of as many prisoners of every age and sex as possible. It will be essential to ruin their crops in the ground and prevent their planting more.” - George Washington

“The hunter or savage state requires a greater extent of territory to sustain it, than is compatible with the progress and just claims of civilized life, and must yield to it. Nothing is more certain, than, if the Indian tribes do not abandon that state, and become civilized, that they will decline, and become extinct. The hunter state, tho maintain’d by warlike spirits, presents but a feeble resistance to the more dense, compact, and powerful population of civilized man.” - James Monroe

Source: Nice Day for a Genocide: Shocking Quotes on Indians By US Leaders, Pt 1

Also see: Nice Day for a Genocide: Shocking Quotes on Indians by U.S. Leaders, Pt. 2

The only biblical aspects that can be honestly attributed to the founding of America was the attempted genocide and slavery that occurred during the continuous theft of stolen tribal lands through: (1) the hundreds of treaties the United States government had signed with sovereign Indian nations but refused to honor said treaties and broke every single one of them; (2) the countless massacres of Native American men, women and children, such as Sand Creek and Wounded Knee; (3) the forced removals of entire tribes onto barren wastelands called Reservations or also known to this day as Prisoner of War Camps; (4) the death marches such as the Trail of Tears into Indian Territory, which that land was later stolen to become the state of Oklahoma through the Oklahoma Land Run; and (5) the cultural genocide through the American Indian Boarding Schools whose primary purpose was to 'Kill the Indian, Save the Man' and forcibly Christianize Indian children with the purpose to utterly destroy anything and everything that had to do with being Indian.

(1) For 188 years in this alleged Christian nation, Black people and other minorities were racially oppressed, subjugated, segregated, discriminated against and denied equality.

(2) For 89 years in this alleged Christian nation, Black people were enslaved in legalized slavery and considered to be inferior to white people. From 1776 to 1865 slavery was legal.

(3) For 99 years after legalized slavery was finally abolished in this alleged Christian nation, the descendants of those freed slaves were denied equality to white people and legally segregated from white people until the Civil Rights Movement in 1964.

(4) For 148 years in this alleged Christian nation, Native Americans were denied U.S. citizenship until the American Indian Citizenship Act in 1924.

(5) For 202 years in this alleged Christian nation, Native Americans were denied religious freedom until the American Indian Religous Freedom Act in 1978. Native American religious dances such as the Ghost Dance and the Sun Dance were both illegal and punishable by imprisonment.

(6) For 214 years in this alleged Christian nation, Native American religious sacred sites and burial grounds where the remains of their ancestors and family lie could be descrecated and destroyed until the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act in 1990.

The United States of America is a nation built on perpetuated lies and stolen tribal lands. America was not founded on Christian principles or on freedom, liberty and justice for all. This nation was originally founded on attempted genocide, massive land theft, white supremacy, slavery, racism, discrimination and oppression of minorities. The perpetuated lies that America was founded on freedom, liberty and justice for all is just that, perpetuated lies. Native Americans and other minorities were not free nor did they have liberties or justice or the same equality as the White Anglo-Saxon Protestant male had. Genocide and slavery are definitely biblical and America had them both down to an art form.

To quote Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Our nation was born in genocide when it embraced the doctrine that the original American, the Indian, was an inferior race. Even before there were large numbers of Negroes on our shores, the scar of racial hatred had already disfigured colonial society. From the sixteenth century forward, blood flowed in battles of racial supremacy. We are perhaps the only nation which tried as a matter of national policy to wipe out its Indigenous population. Moreover, we elevated that tragic experience into a noble crusade. Indeed, even today we have not permitted ourselves to reject or feel remorse for this shameful episode. Our literature, our films, our drama, our folklore all exalt it."

Upvote 0