Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I just read that this morning. It's a pretty good article.

It's true that "PC" is not well-defined - the article does discuss that as well and what it tends to mean to the various groups. That was one of the parts I found most interesting.

The majority of the people of the disaffected middle dislike PC culture and, at the same time, equally dislike hate speech. One of the most troublesome things to them about the PC culture is the vagueness and, especially, the ever-changing terms such that it is difficult to get "right" all the time and getting it wrong carries too much of a social stigma. So, it's frustrating and unfair.

Does anyone like "hate speech" except for those engaging in it?

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Large Majorities Dislike Political Correctness - The Atlantic

Acording to the report, 25 percent of Americans are traditional or devoted conservatives, and their views are far outside the American mainstream. Some 8 percent of Americans are progressive activists, and their views are even less typical. By contrast, the two-thirds of Americans who don’t belong to either extreme constitute an “exhausted majority.” Their members “share a sense of fatigue with our polarized national conversation, a willingness to be flexible in their political viewpoints, and a lack of voice in the national conversation.”

Most members of the “exhausted majority,” and then some, dislike political correctness. Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.” Even young people are uncomfortable with it, including 74 percent ages 24 to 29, and 79 percent under age 24. On this particular issue, the woke are in a clear minority across all ages.

Youth isn’t a good proxy for support of political correctness—and it turns out race isn’t, either.

So what does this group look like? Compared with the rest of the (nationally representative) polling sample, progressive activists are much more likely to be rich, highly educated—and white. They are nearly twice as likely as the average to make more than $100,000 a year. They are nearly three times as likely to have a postgraduate degree. And while 12 percent of the overall sample in the study is African American, only 3 percent of progressive activists are. With the exception of the small tribe of devoted conservatives, progressive activists are the most racially homogeneous group in the country.

I think that it is always valuable to remember that these forums, and online in general, do not represent reality.
This OP is an excellent example of this OP :thumbsup:

From the article

Some 8 percent of Americans are progressive activists

From the OP

The Progressives represent less than 10% of the American population.
Notice the missing word?

Whether intentional or not, it just goes to show ...
This is why you should be wary of thinking that your social media feed and/or local bubble is a good measure of how your fellow citizens feel.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Probably. Some people get a kick out of perversity and contrarianism; and there are those who do like to indulge in it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
All the folks that listen to it with thunderous applause.

Thunderous applause?

I'd have to double the numbers I could find for just the white racist hate groups to get to 30k people. Maybe if we threw them all together....which obviously won't happen....we could reach 50-80k people.

I don't think we could get them to applaud the same things though.

It's a negligible amount of people.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Depends on what you call hate speech. According to some people, it's hate speech to say that homosexuality is considered a sin or that women can't have male genitalia.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Depends on what you call hate speech. According to some people, it's hate speech to say that homosexuality is considered a sin or that women can't have male genitalia.
According to some people it depends on the context of the speech, and the intent of the speaker, and the critical thinking skills of the audience.

Upvote 0