Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Fifty-eight percent of Americans believe the U.S. rates "very" or "somewhat favorably" in the world's eyes. Though the current figure is up just slightly from the 55% recorded last year, it represents the highest figure Gallup has found since 2003.

The increase in the overall figure is the result of an increase in the percentage of political independents saying the U.S. is rated favorably abroad, up eight percentage points, from 50% to 58%. Meanwhile, the views of Americans identifying as Republican or Democratic haven't changed.

A relatively high proportion of Republicans say the U.S. is viewed favorably (80%), matching their views in 2018. This is the highest level of Republicans' confidence in the country's global image since 2002 during the post-9/11 period of the George W. Bush administration.

Far fewer Democrats during Donald Trump's presidency have said the country is viewed positively abroad, with their latest 36% matching last year's figure. Democrats current negativism on this measure is similar to what it was at certain points in President G.W. Bush's second term.

More: Americans' Perceptions of U.S. World Image Best Since 2003

Gallup.png

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a poll question of absolutely zero value.

"I think other people think I'm a good-looking guy. I think other people think I look better this year than I thought they thought I looked last year."

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a poll question of absolutely zero value.

"I think other people think I'm a good-looking guy. I think other people think I look better this year than I thought they thought I looked last year."
It's something Gallup has been tracking for years. Mainly to get a pulse on how independent voters view things.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...shouldn't that question be asked of people from other countries about how they view the US? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious) :wave:
Why do they matter ^_^

I'm sure some would love all foreigners to vote in our elections but that is not legal last time I checked.

The poll is useful to pollsters to get a pulse on what independents are thinking.

But it will warm your heart that although 58% of Americans with a favorable of Perception of U.S. World Image, only 31% feel that the President shares that favorable opinion.

So it does my heart good that good Americans can identify their nation in a positive light and not be saddled by that equating its political leaders. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I doubt anyone follows my posts, but I'm not a big fan of America.

That said, it would be depressing if you actually think Trump is a downturn. Considering that the last several presidents have embroiled the world in some pretty terrible wars (and other atrocities, like the sanctions in the 90s on Iraq that killed 500,000 children). This is the only guy in a long time, bellicose though may be, who is actually less supportive of war in practice. He just talks a lot of trash, but has tried to hold his hand back (hopefully he won't do anything stupid in Venezuela, but who knows).

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry! Didn't mean to introduce facts into a discussion of Americans opinions. :sorry:
tulc(will just sip his coffee and watch the world burn)
images
Tulc Gallup like other polling agencies use this data to get a pulse on what Americans are thinking.

For example, it could be results driven. China could have a very low opinion of the US right now based on Trump tariffs. Yet Americans might view that we just sold China rice as a sign our unpopular economic practices actually worked out in favor.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

I agree that the poll has value. I'm just not sure its a value we should be particularly concerned about. What the poll tells us is how self absorbed and overly proud Americans 'THINK' people of other nations see us. As tulc has pointed out, it really doesn't provide any evidence as to actually how other people see us. I think that it has long been the case that the average on the street American really doesn't have any idea how people of other countries see us or feel about us. So, this is just a poll that confirms for us that our rose colored glasses are still working fine.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Fifty-eight percent of Americans believe the U.S. rates "very" or "somewhat favorably" in the world's eyes. Though the current figure is up just slightly from the 55% recorded last year, it represents the highest figure Gallup has found since 2003.

The increase in the overall figure is the result of an increase in the percentage of political independents saying the U.S. is rated favorably abroad, up eight percentage points, from 50% to 58%. Meanwhile, the views of Americans identifying as Republican or Democratic haven't changed.

A relatively high proportion of Republicans say the U.S. is viewed favorably (80%), matching their views in 2018. This is the highest level of Republicans' confidence in the country's global image since 2002 during the post-9/11 period of the George W. Bush administration.

Far fewer Democrats during Donald Trump's presidency have said the country is viewed positively abroad, with their latest 36% matching last year's figure. Democrats current negativism on this measure is similar to what it was at certain points in President G.W. Bush's second term.

More: Americans' Perceptions of U.S. World Image Best Since 2003

View attachment 252029

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
58% say U.S. rates very or somewhat favorably in world's eyes
45% satisfied with U.S. position in the world
Most say Trump not respected by foreign leaders

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I doubt anyone follows my posts, but I'm not a big fan of America.

That said, it would be depressing if you actually think Trump is a downturn. Considering that the last several presidents have embroiled the world in some pretty terrible wars (and other atrocities, like the sanctions in the 90s on Iraq that killed 500,000 children). This is the only guy in a long time, bellicose though may be, who is actually less supportive of war in practice. He just talks a lot of trash, but has tried to hold his hand back (hopefully he won't do anything stupid in Venezuela, but who knows).
Add to that when the Sugar Daddy (the US) threatens to cut off funding to certain nations or organizations there will no doubt be some sour grapes.

Upvote 0