catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
RAZ: That's - well, that's what we all assume, right? You take heroin for 20 days, you're probably going to be addicted.

HARI: Exactly. And I only began to understand what's really going on and, in fact, what had gone on in my family when I went and met an incredible professor called Bruce Alexander in Vancouver. And Professor Alexander explained to me, this theory of addiction that I had in my head - that it's caused by the chemical hooks - comes from a series of experiments that were done earlier in the 20th century. You take a rat, and you put it in a cage, and you give it two water bottles. One is just water. The other is water laced with either heroin or cocaine. If you do that, the rat will almost always prefer the drugged water and almost always kill itself quite quickly. But Professor Alexander was looking at these experiments in the '70s, and he had this kind of realization. Wait a minute. We put the rat alone in an empty cage. It's got nothing to do except take these drugs.

RAZ: Yeah.

HARI: What would happen, he thought, if we did this differently? So he built a cage that he called Rat Park, and it's basically heaven for rats, right? They've got loads of friends. They got loads of grain. They got loads of tunnels to scamper around. They can have lots of sex. And they've got both the water bottles - the normal water and the drugged water. But this is the fascinating thing. In Rat Park, they don't like the drugged water. None of them ever used it compulsively. None of them ever overdosed. So you go from almost 100 percent compulsive use of overdose when their lives are bad to none when their lives are good and they have the things that make life meaningful for rats.
--
Johann Hari: Does Stigmatizing Addiction Perpetuate It?

Good 12 minute program explaining more, especially about the key of connection.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's interesting. Unhappiness is what drives us to God. What do you believe is the drive behind the epidemic? Is it lack of God?
Actually. I've known plenty of people that did drugs. That are really into God. So, Its not the lack of God. I'm not sure. That being unhappy turns a person to God. Therapy helps .

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually. I've known plenty of people that did drugs. That are really into God. So, Its not the lack of God. I'm not sure. That being unhappy turns a person to God. Therapy helps .

I was pretty happy, and partly because I'd spent time and effort to do things I really liked, took some emotional risks, and notice, I decided to try out and put into action (because I was trying out all sorts of things in my 20s, many things) , I tried out Christ's instruction: "love your neighbor as yourself", even when agnostic. That last resulted in a wonderful new friendship within a year, through a person I met at a party at one neighbor's house.

I was happy.

But I decided to continue to test out Christ's ideas, as I thought of them. To try more of them, since that first one ("love your neighbor as yourself") worked so well...honestly, almost miraculous really, like wildly well, like buying Apple stock in 2001 or something like that. Just way well. Far better than anything I'd hoped or imagined. That's the objective truth about it. It was unimaginably good in its outcome.

Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was pretty happy, and partly because I'd spent time and effort to do things I really liked, took some emotional risks, and notice, I decided to try out and put into action (because I was trying out all sorts of things in my 20s, many things) , I tried out Christ's instruction: "love your neighbor as yourself", even when agnostic. That last resulted in a wonderful new friendship within a year, through a person I met at a party at one neighbor's house.

I was happy.

But I decided to continue to test out Christ's ideas, as I thought of them. To try more of them, since that first one ("love your neighbor as yourself") worked so well...honestly, almost miraculous really, like wildly well, like buying Apple stock in 2001 or something like that. Just way well. Far better than anything I'd hoped or imagined. That's the objective truth about it. It was unimaginably good in its outcome.
Can you give an example? Did you volunteer, or just change how you treated others? That's interesting for those trying to find their way and test God's promises.

Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You will never be able to stop drugs. That's a persons choice. They will seek somewhere. You can make certain drugs in America.
Do you believe cutting off the supply will help? Our town was flooded with drugs and almost every kid there was on them. I just don't know that all the internal work in the world will not help you if its around you 24/7.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you give an example? Did you volunteer, or just change how you treated others? That's interesting for those trying to find their way and test God's promises.

I tested "love your neighbor as yourself" in an immediate and very direct way at age 27 through 29, by actually going to meet and talk with -- in a very friendly way (at that was hard!) -- to the 4 different strangers that lived immediately adjacent to me.

All of my adjacent neighbors. With a real attempt at love.

That took some real effort for me, at that point in my life, to cold meet total strangers by initiating contact (all 4), myself, without any indication from them ahead of time of being friendly.

I really put myself out. In a big way. (no exaggeration there at all!)

Result was that in about 3 years, I'd increased the amount of love in my life by....well, in terms of getting love first hand directly from others, by about a factor of 15 to 20 times as much love. (I'd moved to a new city, and didn't yet know people except my nearby Aunt and Uncle and Grandmother who all lived about 25 miles away by chance, and I would see occasionally before this time, so I went from having some real love that was significant but limited in opportunity, to having a great abundance of strong love from several other wonderful friends)

My life got very sharply better. While one could attempt to reframe this as merely 'meeting people', it was not.

It wasn't.

It was instead me making a gigantic effort of loving random nearby strangers for real, without having anything in common to begin with except for one, and then how they responded.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you believe cutting off the supply will help? Our town was flooded with drugs and almost every kid there was on them. I just don't know that all the internal work in the world will not help you if its around you 24/7.
No. I think people will always find drugs. Unless they choose to get off of drugs.

Upvote 0