• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Americans are Destroying America

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by FaithLikeARock, May 28, 2011.

1. katautumn

katautumn Wandering, not lost.

+155
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    US-Others

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
  2. GigageiTsula

GigageiTsula Legend

+7,457
    Christian
    Private
    Back in 1776, all the flowery oratory about freedom did nothing for black slaves, women, indentured servants or Native Americans. If we forget that fact, we are remembering only fairy tales instead of real history. The so-called home of the free and the brave has been corrupt and infected with racism since its inception. As an American Indian, I know that the birth of this nation is nothing to celebrate or be proud of. The birth of the so-called "great nation" brought about the death and destruction of my race. The American Indian is still feeling the effects of the birth of this "great nation" today. I don't think that's something to be proud of or celebrate. Religious or not, the "founding fathers" were nothing more than greedy, racist bigots. And I know I'm not the only NDN who thinks or feels that way.

3. Martingale

Martingale Guest

+0
    the examples of strawman argumentation keep getting better and better on this forum. yours is among the very best of the misleading, intentional misrepresentations of history I've seen here.

damning the founding fathers in 1776 for not sharing your personal political agenda in 2011 is clever, but fools no one.

4. GigageiTsula

GigageiTsula Legend

+7,457
    Christian
    Private
    Yeah OK. Whatever. :doh:

No, condemning the actions of the so-called founding fathers is telling it like it was and not sugar-coating the real history of this so-called great nation of America.

5. Martingale

Martingale Guest

+0
    Yeah, OK. Exactly.

6. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+5,477
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Obama does not deserve respect for booting the Deep Water Horizon incident, for getting involved in Libya too late to do enough good for it to be worth our while, for giving us that disgrace commonly known as the health care bill, for ignoring the rights of the unborn, and for being just as partisan as (if not more than) his detractors. Most of what he did right has actually been a continuation of Bush's policies, and he went back on his promises to repeal them - so we either have another fake or someone who was too stupid during his campaign to see that they were really good ideas.

I'm not someone who gets on Obama for his faith, or where he was born (Hawaii is good enough for me). I get on him for his bad ideas, and his bad execution of the office. I suppose the only thing worse than an incompetent man with bad ideas is a competent one with bad ideas, but last I checked, incompetence hasn't been something considered to be praiseworthy or worthy of respect.

7. Sketcher

+5,477
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Look from 1791 to the present. Which theocracy in that timeframe has been around the whole time and done at least as well as America has?

8. Umaro

Umaro Senior Veteran

+199
    Atheist
    Private
    I can see where you might argue the other points, but how can he possibly be more partisan against the republicans than anyone else while also following all their policies? Obama has not been partisan at all, in fact he's been so spineless it cost him a good number of his base.

9. Douger

Douger Veteran

+788
    Christian
    Just you watch, Obama's base is equally spineless and will vote him another term.

10. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+1,956
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising them the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over a loss of fiscal responsibility, always followed by a dictatorship. The average of the world's great civilizations before they decline has been 200 years. These nations have progressed in this sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith,
    From spiritual faith to great courage,
    From courage to liberty,
    From liberty to abundance,
    From abundance to selfishness,
    From selfishness to complacency,
    From complacency to apathy,
    From apathy to dependency,
    From dependency back again to bondage."

---Anonymous; attributed to various.

From bondage to spiritual faith,
    From soiritual faith to great courage,
    From courage to liberty......................(1775 to 1783)

From liberty to abundance..................(1783 to 1900)

From abundance to selfishness...........(1900 to 1960)

From selfishness to complacency.........(1960 to 1990)

From complacency to apathy...............(1990 to 2005)

From apathy to dependency................(2005 to present)

From dependency back again to bondage...(dead ahead)

ymmv

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  11. branchofthevine

branchofthevine Newbie

+56
    Christian
    Single
    CA-Others
    Johnathan Edwards on Revival of 1740-1742 there would be your time frame for going to Spiritual Faith.

From an outsider position (Canadian born and raised) he Americans spend a lot of time talking about politics and whatnot. How many people actually get involved and try and change things instead of just talking about it?

also, isn't the USA a Republic and not a Democracy?

12. FaithLikeARock

FaithLikeARock Let the human mind loose.

+264
    Deist
    Single
    US-Green
    It's both. The two aren't mutually exclusive. A democracy is a method of voting, a republic is a structure of government. We have a Republican structure of government, and a Democratic structure of suffrage (not a pure structure, but still far more on the Democratic side).

13. branchofthevine

branchofthevine Newbie

+56
    Christian
    Single
    CA-Others
    ah, I have never heard anyone explain it like that.

That is pretty nifty ain't it?

14. Brother Lawrence

Brother Lawrence Newbie

+2
    Private
    AMEN! We need to get rid of freedom of speech, starting with Chris Matthews.

Honestly, you need to really listen to yourself.

15. FaithLikeARock

FaithLikeARock Let the human mind loose.

+264
    Deist
    Single
    US-Green
    Because that's CLEARLY what I said. /sarcasm

16. Sketcher

+5,477
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Health care and the additional bailouts. He pretty much locked the Republicans out of negotiation with "I won." He also has not taken responsibility for his screwups, somehow blaming the Republicans when until this last November, they couldn't stop a single bill on a strict party-line vote. I agree he has also been spineless, but you don't need to have a spine in order to be partisan.

As far as continuing Bush's policies, again he is either a fraud, or he learned the hard way that the policies he's continuing (WoT, Gitmo) really were the right way to go.

17. Icewater

Icewater Guest

+0
    This has never been shown to be true.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  18. Mixolydian

Mixolydian Lord I believe; help my unbelief.

+80
    Pentecostal
    Married
    MOD HAT ON

When folks are passionate about a topic it's best to keep in mind the follow forum rules BEFORE posting:

Flaming and Harassment
    ●
    Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.
    ● If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button. Do not report another member out of spite.
    ● Do not make another member's experience on this site miserable. This includes, making false accusations or persistently attacking them in the open forums.

MOD HAT OFF

19. Ringo84

Ringo84 Separation of Church and State expert

+4,379
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    Tsk....poor, defenseless Republicans.
    Ringo

20. Anovah

Anovah Senior Member

+177
    Atheist
    Single
    Isn't it equally ridiculous to blame him for absolutely NOTHING. I'm sure you're allowing for legitimate criticism yes?

See, your posts usually have me until you take it over the top. Example...

Dangerous rhetoric my friend. Dangerous rhetoric.