American Teachers Resign Over Oddly Similar Circumstances...

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Ad hominem.

Ad homiderp.

Ad derpinum.

So back to my question you ignored.

Let's say a police department is "systemically racist" according to you ...

Can we fix it by...

1. Removing all the people and replacing them with non-racist people, or at least reasonably non-racist people?

Or...

2. Going through all the policies, procedures, training, etc, and identifying the racist stuff so it can be removed or changed?
First off, those aren't ad hominems, not attacking you, I'm attacking the arguments you happen to use, don't delude yourself that I'm that interested in YOUR arguments, the arguments are poor, regardless of who uses them

Secondly, that's a false dichotomy, because those aren't the only two options and it doesn't address the issues either short term or long term, because replacing the people doesn't change the system and just thinking that if you change the system, it never needs changing again is naive.

The 2nd option would be preferable, but it's not going to just fix things immediately, because we've seen cops don't always care about protocol, just meeting their quotas and playing vigilante even with freaking bodycams. Accountability and removing qualified immunity would also help, because that's not a policy thing, that's legislation in the latter case

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
First off, those aren't ad hominems, not attacking you, I'm attacking the arguments you happen to use, don't delude yourself that I'm that interested in YOUR arguments

Addressing my arguments doesn't require talking about me.

Secondly, that's a false dichotomy, because those aren't the only two options

What's the third option? I chose the only two places I can imagine the racism residing within the system.

The 2nd option would be preferable, but it's not going to just fix things immediately, because we've seen cops don't always care about protocol, just meeting their quotas and playing vigilante even with freaking bodycams.

If cops are breaking laws and protocols I agree they should be held responsible. I don't see what that has to do with racism.

More importantly though.....do you think you'll actually find a racist policy? Like something that says "treat black people this way"?

Accountability

For?

and removing qualified immunity would also help, because that's not a policy thing, that's legislation in the latter case

What's racist about qualified immunity?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So talking to black people about police brutality should just be done with the same notion as one would with white people, that black people should just conform, obey and everything will be okay? That's not how the reality is

I am still waiting for you to explain how you would advise black people to react when being pulled over by police.

Upvote 0