Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
institutionalized racism
Institutionalized racism is when the policies of an institution is racist. An example would be Jim Crow laws in the US or Apartheid in South Africa.

If an institution is racist, (as opposed to having racist people using their position within the institution to bring power to their racism) that would mean regardless of the people employed it would be racist.

Lets use a racist Police Department as an example of the institution. If replacing all the cops within the department with honest, non racist, non corrupt cops will cure the police department (institution) of racism, that would mean the Police Department (institution) was never an example of institutional racism, it was just racist cops using their position to bring power to their racism.

However; if after replacing the racist cops with non corrupt, non racist cops, the department still remains racist due to the department rules the honest cops are required to follow, that would be an example of institutional racism.

An example would be Jim Crow laws; under Jim Crow even if the bus driver was non racist, he would still require black people to sit in the back of the bus because that was the law of the transit system (institution).

Which institutions currently in Baltimore (or even in the USA) do you know of that are racist?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
dismissing something out of hand doesn't make it go away
There’s nothing to dismiss. It’s not true. And pretending it’s true doesn’t make it true.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
American Sports Are Letting Down America

“The entire American sports world—a culture that traditionally celebrates victors, meritocracy, colorblindness, and patriotism—has suddenly immersed itself in black victimization and left-wing radicalism. This immersion threatens to do permanent damage to American culture as a whole. It has certainly undermined national pride. A country that no longer believes in its founding ideals cannot prosper and survive.”

“As fans, we can only hope and pray that these feckless leaders will reconsider their embrace of the BLM cult—a necessary first step to returning American sports to what it has been in the past: a force for unity and a model of a diverse and colorblind meritocracy.”
Black sports athletes have different political views than lazy white people watching sports on TV--what's the controversy?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Black sports athletes have different political views than lazy white people watching sports on TV--what's the controversy?
How are their views different from yours?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The controversy is the Black sports athletes don't live in the real world; the lazy white people do. People who struggle with paying bills and putting food on the table don't tend to like it when a rich kid with more money, women and fans than he knows what to do with tells him what's wrong with his life

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,673.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The controversy is the Black sports athletes don't live in the real world; the lazy white people do. People who struggle with paying bills and putting food on the table don't tend to like it when a rich kid with more money, women and fans than he knows what to do with tells him what's wrong with his life

And people who have a day in, day out experience with overt and implicit racism don't tend to like it when people tell them they're immersing themselves in "black victimization and left-wing radicalism".

Or to get over it because sport is a meritocracy - like that has anything to do with their lives off the field - or to stop bringing attention to the issue or "find a country that works better for him" by using their freedom of speech (perhaps by refusing to stand when others do).

But hey, as long as the multi billion dollar business is still making money and celebrating patriotism, whatever. Right?

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
You think those rich black athletes grew up that way?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And people who have a day in, day out experience with overt and implicit racism don't tend to like it when people tell them they're immersing themselves in "black victimization and left-wing radicalism".
Do you really think these rich athletes deal with racism day in and day out? These guys live in some of the richest neighborhoods you can imagine. They are playing the black victimization because that is the flavor of the month; it’s popular now. Had racism been an issue, I think we would have heard about this long before the death of Floyd.
Or to get over it because sport is a meritocracy - like that has anything to do with their lives off the field - or to stop bringing attention to the issue or "find a country that works better for him" by using their freedom of speech (perhaps by refusing to stand when others do).
Refusing to stand is freedom of speech now? Refusing to stand is now in line with the powers that be! Of anything the one who refuses to kneel would be the one actually making a statement
But hey, as long as the multi billion dollar business is still making money and celebrating patriotism, whatever. Right?
BLM has made black victimization a million dollar business thanks to some of these athletes.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
How are the athletes views different from yours?
They are an entirely different cohort for one, and most of them have a different cultural background than me--I'd say the political differences would likely be significant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They are an entirely different cohort for one, and most of them have a different cultural background than me--I'd say the political differences would likely be significant.
Why?

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Because I grew up in a rural area, I am white, and I and I am not rich. We are speaking in generalities because we are discussing large groups and at that elevation of demographics we cannot get specific. It should be obvious that my experiences should be different from others who have radically different life experiences. Such differences often result in different political perspectives.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because I grew up in a rural area, I am white, and I and I am not rich. We are speaking in generalities because we are discussing large groups and at that elevation of demographics we cannot get specific. It should be obvious that my experiences should be different from others who have radically different life experiences. Such differences often result in different political perspectives.
Can you speak for all the White folks from the sticks?

Upvote 0