American pastor still behind bars in Turkey.

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Our American brother Andrew Brunson is still behind bars in Turkey – a year after he was arrested – yet his faith remains strong.

He faces four life sentences based on allegations that he was involved in the plot to overthrow the Turkish Government last year. Andrew strongly denies these charges.

Pray that God will be with Pastor Andrew in his prison cell in Izmir.

In the midst of persecution and intense stress, Andrew has been inspired to write a worship song to our heavenly Father, which includes the lines:

You are worthy, worthy of my all
This is my declaration in the darkest hour Jesus, the Faithful One who loves me, always good and true You made me yours, you are worthy of my all.

I want to be found worthy to stand before you on that day With no regrets from cowardice, things left undone To hear you say, “Well done, my faithful friend, now enter your reward”
Jesus, my Joy, you are the prize I’m running for.

During a visit last week by a delegation from the US Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), Andrew expressed his thanks to those praying and lobbying for his release. ‘Knowing that I am not forgotten is important to me,’ he said.

• Please use the words of Andrew’s song to inspire your prayers for Andrew and his wife, Norine: pray that God will fill them both with His peace and joy. Stress has caused Andrew to lose three-and-a-half stone in weight.
  • Pray that Andrew’s legal team will have wisdom and courage in negotiating his release.
  • Thank God that the Turkish Government is coming under increasing scrutiny over Pastor Andrew’s case, due to international prayer and advocacy. Pray they will release him soon.
(Sources: Middle East Concern, USCIRF)

UPDATE

Please continue to pray for our Algerian brother Slimane Bouhafs who has gone on hunger strike after a court rejected his application for conditional release. He is now demanding to be moved to a prison in his home province, Bejia. Convicted of ‘blasphemy’ over a Facebook post, he has nine months left to serve of his sentence. His family applied for parole after he received a partial presidential pardon in July. (Source: Middle East Concern)

Release International

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Father, we love you. YOU love us. In our embrace, may the Holy Spirit bless these prisoners (and any others) right now, today. May each know the Presence of the Holy Spirit as they lift their voices in praise to you, Lord."

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We recently told you that the U.S. Senate passed the NDAA, including Sec. 1269, by an overwhelming majority vote of 85-15. This bill, with the inclusion of Sec. 1269 prevents the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) from selling F-35 fighter jets to Turkey. The provision essentially denies Turkey these key fighter jets they want as long as Pastor Andrew remains a hostage of the Turkish regime. It’s the key military aid they need, and hopefully they will cooperate for Pastor Andrew’s sake.

https://aclj.org/persecuted-church/...e-un-to-demand-pastor-andrew-brunsons-freedom

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Trump Speaks Out for Pastor Andrew Brunson After 'Disturbing' Trial Twist

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/cwn/201...sent-back-to-prison-in-disturbing-trial-twist

He faces 35 years in prison.

“I’ve never done something against Turkey. I love Turkey. I’ve been praying for Turkey for 25 years. I want truth to come out,” Brunson told the court, according to Reuters. “I do not accept the charges mentioned in the indictment. I was never involved in any illegal activities."

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo recently advocated for Pastor Brunson’s release, sitting face-to-face with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu. In his June 4 meeting with Cavusoglu, Pompeo talked about Brunson

and his unjust imprisonment. https://www.opendoorsusa.org/christ...e-to-free-u-s-pastor-andrew-brunson-heats-up/

Last summer, Erdogan said he would release Brunson in exchange for Gülen, who is currently in U.S. custody. Later in the year, he said he would not extradite any foreign prisoners unless the U.S. returns Gülen to Turkey.

In response to the letters from U.S. lawmakers, Turkey’s ruling party sent a letter to Trump reminding him of Erdogan’s demand for Gülen’s release.

The Turkish leader has denied that the case is politically motivated.

There IS religious freedom in Turkey. This IS a politically motivated case and is clear in that by the demand for the US to release Gülen.

The Turkish leader has denied that the case is politically motivated.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
9 hours ago....
He has been sent back to prison after the 3rd day of trial, in 3 months. They allowed only 1 defense witness. ACLJ says the judges have already decided he is guilty.

His next "trial" date isn't until October. The judicial channel will not let him go however, the diplomatic channel is showing some imminent action..."imminent" being days or weeks perhaps no one knows? Often "hurry up and wait". ACLJ has added 4 more lawyers working on this in Wash DC...today.

It could be that Erdogan is considering intervening,,,and we know that President Trump has stopped the delivery of the fighter jets to Turkey because of the (sham) trial of this innocent Christian pastor. Turkey says they have freedom of religion there.

PRAY!
and if you are so inclined, sign the petition at the ACLJ.org website

American Pastor Andrew Brunson is now facing what could amount to the rest of his life in a Turkish prison.

He has been charged with “Christianization.”

A 62-page indictment – a diatribe against Christianity and Israel – claims that the Christian pastor living out his Christian faith, including through “humanitarian aid, education, and training,” is terrorism. If convicted, he faces 35 years in a Turkish prison – essentially a life sentence for the 50-year-old American pastor.

His trial starts on April 16th. Time is of the essence.

Christianity is on trial. Christianization isn’t terrorism. It’s an absolute outrage.

Pastor Andrew peacefully served the people of Turkey as a Christian pastor – following the law without issue – for 23 years.

We cannot allow Turkey – our supposed NATO ally – to sentence a U.S. citizen to the rest of his life behind bars for being a Christian and living out his faith.

We’re urging the U.N. Working Group on Arbitrary Detention to intervene in the case. Take action with us before it’s too late.

Petition to Free American Pastor Andrew Brunson
Pray for his release. Pray for POTUS to stand firm and continue to talk firm regarding demanding the release of Pastor Andrew!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
President Trump put pressure onto Erdogan, Turkey before the world. He tweeted:

A total disgrace that Turkey will not release a respected U.S. Pastor, Andrew Brunson, from prison. He has been held hostage far too long. @RT_Erdogan should do something to free this wonderful Christian husband & father. He has done nothing wrong, and his family needs him!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Backstory:

Turkish authorities arrested pastor Andrew Brunson of North Carolina in October of 2016 and charged him with membership in a terrorist organization after the U.S. refused to extradite imam Fethullah Gülen. Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan claims Gülen orchestrated the failed 2016 coup in Turkey.

Turkish prosecutors made clear in their indictment of Brunson on Tuesday that they seek to imprison him for life, according to The Associated Press.

A court must still approve the indictment before prosecution against Brunson can proceed. The goal of life imprisonment lends further credence to Erdogan’s threat in May 2017 that Turkey would not release any foreign captives until their respective governments extradite Erdogan’s enemies, Gülen foremost among them.

Gülen is a Turkish Muslim cleric who has lived in Pennsylvania for 20 years and who some acknowledge as the second most powerful man in Turkey. He is the head of a large Islamic movement known as Hizmet, which translates as “service,” whose followers are known as Gülenists. The movement largely promotes a tolerant version of Islam centered around education and the principles of modesty and altruism.

"
“Ankara sees Brunson as a hostage that they can use as leverage in their relations with the United States,” he added.

Erdogan confirmed Erdemir’s analysis in 2017, when he suggested that the U.S. trade Gülen for Brunson.

“They say ‘give us the pastor’. You have a preacher (Gülen) there. Give him to us, and we will try (Brunson) and give him back,” Erdogan said, according to Daily Mail.
"

PRAY FOR HIS RELEASE! PRAY FOR PRESIDENT TRUMP as he negotiates this. POTUS has orchestrated 14 hostage releases so far, without having to trade anyone! :prayer:

Upvote 0