Aug 3, 2004
✟68,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Sooo glad that Mike got the save! I just knew they would. He's too good to let go this early. The only downside is that if someone like Chrystal gets the least amount of votes sometime between now and the final 5, she can't be saved. But Mike should not have been in the bottom 3. His fans need to come through for him from now on.

Agree--from my point of view, the bottom, 3 this week would have been Tim, Lee, and Aaron--alt for the bottom--Casey.

Upvote 0

Rich48

Legend
Aug 3, 2004
✟68,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow-1st time I have been called an old person! :wave:

But--my opinon of Katie is not based on, as you state, her choice of songs. It is strictly her voice. I have a lot of musical training, and can see the talent that she has; but she needs some vocal training, and time to mature. She is only 17, but the tonal quality of her voice is far beyond her age. This is not her year--but we will surely hear from her in the future. I stand by my statement that she is, by far and above, the most talented this year. That does not mean that I think she should win.

If, at this point in the competition I had to pick the best, I would chose Crystal, with Siobhan a very close 2nd.;) 3rd? Big Mike:clap:

Bottom would be all the other guys except Casey--but he is so up and down from week to week.

Please remember that we are all entitiled to our opinions.

But now for a question--of all the previous season winners, who in your opinion, is the best?? From my point of views, there is no doubt. Although I absolutely hate new country music, I have to pick Carrie Underwood. I must admit that both my daughter and I loved her from her audition to the finals.

Reactions: Maren
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Wow-1st time I have been called an old person! :wave:

:) I don't see where I called you old, per se, merely stated that people seem to be divided on some singers based on age groups -- and I count myself in a similar age group to you.

But--my opinon of Katie is not based on, as you state, her choice of songs. It is strictly her voice. I have a lot of musical training, and can see the talent that she has; but she needs some vocal training, and time to mature. She is only 17, but the tonal quality of her voice is far beyond her age. This is not her year--but we will surely hear from her in the future. I stand by my statement that she is, by far and above, the most talented this year. That does not mean that I think she should win.

I agree that Katie has a great voice but that she still needs training. My problem is I look at how each is competing and Katie just isn't on the level as Siobhan and Crystal. So, in essence I agree with you.

I suspect Katie will have a successful career (though the most talented voices don't always have the best careers) and it will be better for her to lose. I am sure she will be offered a recording contract and hopefully with someone who can see her talent, trains her, and works with her to build a long and successful career; rather than someone that just wants to capitalize and make a quick buck off her Idol fame.

If, at this point in the competition I had to pick the best, I would chose Crystal, with Siobhan a very close 2nd.;) 3rd? Big Mike:clap:

Bottom would be all the other guys except Casey--but he is so up and down from week to week.

Please remember that we are all entitiled to our opinions.

I realize that my opinion is just that and I think the "IMO" is implied without starting each paragraph that way. ;) Just trying to stimulate some discussion and get some other comments on the thread. I'm interested in what other people here think.

But now for a question--of all the previous season winners, who in your opinion, is the best?? From my point of views, there is no doubt. Although I absolutely hate new country music, I have to pick Carrie Underwood. I must admit that both my daughter and I loved her from her audition to the finals.

And I think we run into the same problem here as we do when discussing Idol in general, what is 'best'? It bothers me sometimes how the judges are often inconsistent in terms of what they want -- what they judge the best. As to my opinion, I'd probably agree that Carrie is best (and I'm not a country fan, either).

Reactions: Rich48
Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Mike deserved to be on the bottom, or even in the bottom three. I think that one of the problems is that he, alone, did a song that was not one of John or Paul's popular hits. The rest did. And I think that is what hurt him the most. I am glad the judges saved him, I think he's doing well-enough, over all, to be in the top five.

IMO, the top five are Crystal, Lee, Mike, Siobhan, and either Casey or Andrew. I don't think the others have star power or staying power.

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think Mike deserved to be on the bottom, or even in the bottom three. I think that one of the problems is that he, alone, did a song that was not one of John or Paul's popular hits. The rest did. And I think that is what hurt him the most. I am glad the judges saved him, I think he's doing well-enough, over all, to be in the top five.

I doubt that it was that Eleanor Rigby was not that well known. I think that it is a Beatles classic! When David Cook did the same song, it did not hurt him at all. :)

YouTube - Eleanor Rigby - David Cook [HQ]

IMO, the top five are Crystal, Lee, Mike, Siobhan, and either Casey or Andrew. I don't think the others have star power or staying power.

I agree, except that I would include Casey and not Andrew.

Siobahns studio recording of Across the Universe is so much better than her live performance of it.

YouTube - Siobhan Magnus - Across The Universe Studio Version American Idol top 9

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I doubt that it was that Eleanor Rigby was not that well known. I think that it is a Beatles classic! When David Cook did the same song, it did not hurt him at all. :)

Man, if that was Eleanor Rigby, then I'm going to have to go listen to it again. I did not recognize it at all. :doh:

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

Rich48

Legend
Aug 3, 2004
✟68,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
This may well be my last post here. I think that I am done with the show for this year.

Sorry, but it is now obvious that, this year, it is not about the talent; but about the sex appeal of the guys. Yes, Andrew needed to go; but not Katie (not yet--her performance on Tues was one of the best.). Aaron was terrrible, and, although the judges loved it, I thought that Tim butchered Can't Help Falling In Love. And again--I can not see what anyone sees in Lee.

Only 2 gals remain; and this just goes to support my opinion. Didi (although she was far from the best) was cut far too soon. Paige suffererd from an afflection, and she did her best--had she not been sick, she should still have been in--but will agree that due to her performance, had to go.

Casey is just there--should have gone several shows ago. Survived on his looks.

Lee--cannot stand him--his vocals are all over the place; has survived on his looks.

Big Mike--I like him--he is not the best of the remaining; but glad the judges chose to save him.

Of those remaining, my choice for the best is Siobhan; followed by a close 2nd, Crystal.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
This may well be my last post here. I think that I am done with the show for this year.

Sorry, but it is now obvious that, this year, it is not about the talent; but about the sex appeal of the guys. Yes, Andrew needed to go; but not Katie (not yet--her performance on Tues was one of the best.). Aaron was terrrible, and, although the judges loved it, I thought that Tim butchered Can't Help Falling In Love. And again--I can not see what anyone sees in Lee.

Only 2 gals remain; and this just goes to support my opinion. Didi (although she was far from the best) was cut far too soon. Paige suffererd from an afflection, and she did her best--had she not been sick, she should still have been in--but will agree that due to her performance, had to go.

Casey is just there--should have gone several shows ago. Survived on his looks.

Lee--cannot stand him--his vocals are all over the place; has survived on his looks.

Big Mike--I like him--he is not the best of the remaining; but glad the judges chose to save him.

Of those remaining, my choice for the best is Siobhan; followed by a close 2nd, Crystal.

Rich, you have to remember the average voter is a tween or teen girl. Who do you think they want to win? The only way things will change is if older guys like you start rockin' the vote.

Upvote 0

Rich48

Legend
Aug 3, 2004
✟68,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Rich, you have to remember the average voter is a tween or teen girl. Who do you think they want to win? The only way things will change is if older guys like you start rockin' the vote.

I cannot vote--work the 4p to 12a shift on Tuesdays. I just think that it is sad. I stated before that I thought that Katie was, by far, the most talented; but no, she should not have won it all--at least, not this year. Either of the remain gals are far better than any of the remaining guys.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I agree, Rich. I don't think Katie should have been sent home. She was much better than a few of the guys. I think Casey and Tim, and although I like Aaron, I believe that she is better than him, too. It was an unfair turn of events this week. :(

Reactions: Rich48
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,703.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I find Tim to be charmingly sincere, but I agree that he had the worst performance last week. He took breaths between almost every word. But he looked at the audience as if he was falling in love, individually, with each and every one of them...and the lack of breath control was due to his passion.

I have never liked Katie, probably because my hubby, who watched the early episodes, kept saying she was like a young Katherine McPhee, and when I saw her she suffered severely from the comparison.

In general (except for Siobahn) I find that the Idol females sing like tenors. Heaven help it if they should hit some of the higher alto notes. I don't think that good female singers belt from start to finish.

But my primary reason for disliking Katie was that I think her goal was "winning." I think for many of the others, part of their goal was to express themselves, to bring joy to others, to connect with an audience, to be their own unique people with their own unique songs to sing.

With Katie, I felt her primary goal was just to win, and if she had to change her style, or her genre, or her preference, she would do so to win. When she sang, "Wild Horses," what motivated her was the desire to win, to stay...

She was just a little too shallow for me.

Upvote 0

Rich48

Legend
Aug 3, 2004
✟68,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I find Tim to be charmingly sincere, but I agree that he had the worst performance last week. He took breaths between almost every word. But he looked at the audience as if he was falling in love, individually, with each and every one of them...and the lack of breath control was due to his passion.

I have never liked Katie, probably because my hubby, who watched the early episodes, kept saying she was like a young Katherine McPhee, and when I saw her she suffered severely from the comparison.

In general (except for Siobahn) I find that the Idol females sing like tenors. Heaven help it if they should hit some of the higher alto notes. I don't think that good female singers belt from start to finish.

But my primary reason for disliking Katie was that I think her goal was "winning." I think for many of the others, part of their goal was to express themselves, to bring joy to others, to connect with an audience, to be their own unique people with their own unique songs to sing.

With Katie, I felt her primary goal was just to win, and if she had to change her style, or her genre, or her preference, she would do so to win. When she sang, "Wild Horses," what motivated her was the desire to win, to stay...

She was just a little too shallow for me.

I totally disagree

Katie has a great voice, but no, she was not the best of the top 12. But she IS in the top 5; just not her year. She needs some professional voice training; and if she gets it, and comes back in a couple of years, will wipe everyone out of the competition. That is, IF the voting does not go as this year--too many guys with great sex appeal.

Of the remaining (and this is just my opinion!)

Casey--nice looking, but nothing else--very boring vocals
Lee--I know everyone is gaga over him, but personally, cannot stand him. His vocals are all over the place, yet the judges constantly love him.
Aaron--should have gone this week instead of Katie.
Tim--as bad as I did not like Andrew, would have kicked him before Andrew.
Mike--his is like a big, cuddly teddy bear; but lacks what it takes to go all the way.
Crystal--very good--but she seems to lack belief in herself.
Siobhan--the best this year. Constantly great perfomances.

Upvote 0

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Please don't give to the fundraiser tonight. "Idol Gives Back".
Sadly, the charities that recieve the donations for Idol Gives Back also promote abortion. Save The Children (turns out Simon Cowell is CEO) gives money to other groups including Planned Parenthood. How ironic that "save the children" gives money to kill children.

Also, there has been no full and fair disclosure of where the money goes or Simon's connection to Save the Children. The contestants themselves who may be prolife, have not been informed either.

http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/4843313685.html

Be patient with the loading of this link. It's very slow probably due to high traffic.

If you watch this show, please don't give and let others know as well. I realilze that there may be divergent opinions here on abortion, but people who give and those requesting donations have a right to know where the money goes and who's involved.

That said, I really enjoyed Crystal's performance last night and I hope/believe she will win. I like watching her perform and not much anybody else at this point. How sad that a once good show is going down the tubes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Veritas

Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
My parents didnt record it for me(we watch it together every wed ) do you guys know where I can watch it at all????

Have you tried YouTube? Crystal was phenomenal last night. Her song was the only really inspirational one, which was the theme for the night. LOVE HER!!!!

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
thanks I just saw it your link was a gift!:)
My parents didnt record it for me(we watch it together every wed ) do you guys know where I can watch it at all????

You can watch the videos of each of the performances here:

American Idol 9 Top 7 – Songs of Inspiration – Recap | mjsbigblog

I'll hide my comments, since you haven't watched it yet.

As usual, Crystal was fantastic. But why are the judges throwing Siobahn under the bus? She sang the most difficult song and sang it well, yet received the most criticism and least amount of praise. I can't believe that I am saying this, but I wonder if Paula was still there if she would have supported Siobhan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I watch on youtube - that way usually I see the performances and the judging and very little of the unnecessary nonsense. Though I don't know what order they actually sang in..... (exc. Crystal was last)

top 7

Tim - I think this is the only performance of his that I actually kind of liked. I was surprised at the judges' responses.

Michael - I have actually thought of this song for him and was happy he was singing it, but I found the actual performance to be lacking. And why was he holding the guitar? It seems like a sort of security blanket to me. Not my favorite Michael performance.

Siobhan - As much as her personality appeals to me, I just don't get the musical appeal. Yes, she can hit high notes - if there was any doubt before this performance, there is certainly no doubt now. But I thought her voice sounded shaky and I found it hard to listen to.

Aaron - wow, this was a surprise. First time I have not purposely skipped part of Aaron's performance. I could so see him on a Macy's Thanksgiving Parade float, singing that. (not that that is the best endorsement, but.....)

Casey - he's really really good but this is not his gig. He should front a band and do his own music. Whatever happens with this contest, I'll bet he gets a record deal.

Lee - I had to look at a list to remember who I'd left out, and it was Lee. Nuff said.

Crystal - Like Simon said, in a class by herself. That last note, right before the sob, was magic. And I want a mic stand like that.

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think the bottom three were correct this week, but I felt that Aaron should have gone. I think Tim has been improving and was better than Aaron, so I was disappointed that he went.

I also felt that Big Mike's performance was a bit weak, but overall was in the top three or four. I think Siobhan has talent, but I'm getting tired of her. It is always the same no matter what she sings.

Upvote 0