Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He might have worn one in his left ear. I don't really remember, but if he did, that was the way it would have been done. It wasn't that popular yet.

I remember various "action man" phases. I never had any interest in them. But I did have a set of green army men (who also didn't interest me) and a set of cowboys and Indians, who I sometimes used as extras in my farm set.

The doll I think was a "My Buddy" doll, if something like it. Life sized, and I guess meant to accompany a boy who was playing alone on his adventures. It didn't interest me either, except as a minor blip that a lot of people got pretty bent out of shape at the idea of a boy wanting a doll.
Sometimes cowboys and Indians would include cowgirls and squaws. I guess the action men era coincided with the Bionic Woman also.

I don't have a problem with young men wearing earrings, though maybe not in formal business situations. It's probably sensible for both genders of adolescents to have them put in under safe and hygienic conditions so they can be worn when desired.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The doll I think was a "My Buddy" doll, or something like it. Life sized, and I guess meant to accompany a boy who was playing alone on his adventures. It didn't interest me either, except as a minor blip that a lot of people got pretty bent out of shape at the idea of a boy wanting a doll.

Ack! I've seen that movie.
Child's Play (1988 film) - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
LOL!

Just the previews game me the creeps! I don't do horror.

I remember some less well-known films that made their way to TV in the 70s that scared me. I'm glad I didn't connect his doll to those!

They tended to be about ventriloquist's dummies though, but just about the same idea.

<SHUDDER>

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He might have worn one in his left ear. I don't really remember, but if he did, that was the way it would have been done. It wasn't that popular yet.

I remember various "action man" phases. I never had any interest in them. But I did have a set of green army men (who also didn't interest me) and a set of cowboys and Indians, who I sometimes used as extras in my farm set.
PS: Also, action men with uniforms seemed to go with the emerging practice of reenactments, such as of the American Civil War, etc.

Mainly men were involved, but some women also.

(Traditionally also some sailors wore an earring, so it's not just a recent custom for men.)

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
LOL!

Just the previews game me the creeps! I don't do horror.

I remember some less well-known films that made their way to TV in the 70s that scared me. I'm glad I didn't connect his doll to those!

They tended to be about ventriloquist's dummies though, but just about the same idea.

<SHUDDER>

Magic, 1978.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
PS: Also, action men with uniforms seemed to go with the emerging practice of reenactments, such as of the American Civil War, etc.

Mainly men were involved, but some women also.

(Traditionally also some sailors wore an earring, so it's not just a recent custom for men.)
Don't they usually depict pirates with earrings too?

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Magic, 1978.
And I just did a web search, because I wasn't sure if that was the right one or not. I'm still not sure ... I think I saw it on TV sometime close to 1978, but maybe sooner.

But anyway, now I've just read the synopsis of about 30-something doll-related scary movies. Some really creepy, and some downright laughable. I really hope this doesn't affect my dreams tonight.

I have some dolls in my bedroom too. (Funny I use them as decorations now when I never liked to play with them as a child.)

:D

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems like "American Girl" is just concerned with high-end dolls these days. Kind of sad, but I guess not surprising since it belongs to Mattel now rather than the lady who began the line. She did a good thing by beginning it, though.
Yes, that would help explain it. They seem to be popular among adult collectors, it's its own genre.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that would help explain it. They seem to be popular among adult collectors, it's its own genre.

It worked well for us. We picked up a handmade doll closet at a thrift store, intending to use it for a gift, but the family was downsizing and didn't want it. We ended up selling it to a doll collector for a very nice profit, and I think she felt she was getting a good deal - it folded out into a dressing room and had a number of sets of doll dress-up clothing.

Amazing what people are happy to pay for such things. I could probably make them at nice profit, if I were inclined.

Upvote 0