American Constitution: Is it primarily informed by the Enlightenment or by Christianity?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟836,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In undergrad, the thread title was the essay for the final exam of our Social and Political Philosophy class. I argued that the Constitution was primarily informed by the Enlightenment. I am curious what others think. Please, give reasons for the position you hold.

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
In undergrad, the thread title was the essay for the final exam of our Social and Political Philosophy class. I argued that the Constitution was primarily informed by the Enlightenment. I am curious what others think. Please, give reasons for the position you hold.

Since most of its contributors were Deists, not Christians, I'd have to go with the enlightenment.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟277,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Its historical model is the Roman Republic. Its content is derived largely from English Common Law. It could be said to be informed by Christianity insofar as English Common Law is, and that it arose from a Christian culture.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

It's a romanticism of the Enlightenment at best. It definitely wasn't Christian if we are being honest.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟372,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There were 55 delegates at the 1787 Constitutional Convention. They all made contributions, but the final form of the document was the work of James Madison. Who also wrote the Bill of Rights. Madison was strongly influenced by the Enlightenment philosophy, especially that of John Locke. As regards government and religion, Madison was a very strict separationist. Who opposed not only a publicly paid Congressional chaplain, but also paid chaplains for the military. He (along with Oliver Ellsworth of Connecticut) were major supporters of the no religious test clause in Article VI. Even though some states had laws establishing a state religion for a while, these were gone in the 19th century. And state laws requiring office holders to swear or affirm a belief in God were also voided by SCOTUS, based on Article VI.

These all reflect liberal thinking of the Enlightenment. But Biblical values were also incorporated. The Constitution did not eliminate the ancient practice of one man owning another as a slave.

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since most of its contributors were Deists, not Christians, I'd have to go with the enlightenment.

Eh for the most part the founding fathers were at least nominal Christians.

To answer OP's question: the enlightenment.

Upvote 0