• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured American Conservative Republican Jesus

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Grip Docility, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Just that. We all sin and to judge by the law is to be condemned by the law

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. Christians can judge everyone, but everyone can’t judge Christians

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Whatever it needs to mean. It’s just a guideline

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Jesus meant we should judge others!

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Devin P

Devin P Well-Known Member

+613
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    We're supposed to judge, but righteously. As in, we see a brother struggling with something we've overcome in Christ, and pull him aside and rebuke or help him. If it doesn't work, try it again. If it then doesn't work, we go before the rest of the fellowship we share, and rebuke them as a group, and if they still don't try to adjust, then we kick them out untill they get it under control.

Sounds harsh, but it's what the bible says to do. We're supposed to judge righteously, not judge by the flesh.

A righteous judgement is like: You see a brother stealing a flashlight from someone, and you confront him, rebuke him, and he pushes you off and insults you and walks away. Well, then you get the rest of the fellowship group together and confront him. Try your best to guide him in a way to straighten it out, starting by replacing or giving back the light.

An unrighteous judgement:
    Judy wears those shoes? Pfft, only losers wear shocks still... *proceeds to mock and belittle Judy to others.

Or also: *struggles with masturbation, but proceeds to condemn or rebuke a brother who also struggles with masturbation*

We are to judge, but righteously. What that means is to judge someone that struggles with something you've been delivered from, by helping them to also overcome it. Warning them of the punishment of such a sin. Also, it will lead to kicking them from fellowship if they refuse to change and it's serious enough. A concept that seems strange today, but it's all throughout the scriptures.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,881
    Christian
    Private
    Judge not or you will be judged.

James 3:1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Grip Docility

Grip Docility Well-Known Member

+1,666
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Jesus says Judge not but commands us to judge?

Copy and paste?

4. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+28,281
    Anglican
    Married
    That's correct. If it doesn't seem to make sense, read AveJoe's post again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,881
    Christian
    Private
    1 Corinthians 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

6. Grip Docility

+1,666
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    To be sincere... The copy and paste of another person’s ideas and searchable answers seems to take away from the delivery... for me.

I’m into human interaction, not cut and paste responses.

This is not meant to be harsh or rude, but to point out that I value human expression in conversation over widely publicized commentary.

7. Biblewriter

Biblewriter Senior Member Supporter

+1,333
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Libeals pretend that what Jesus meant was that we should never judge anyone for anything. But this is a total distortion of His message. He also told all the people that "unless you repent, you will all perish." And He told the Scribes and the Pharisees (the Liberals of His day) "You are of your father the Devil" and called them "snakes," and a "generation of vipers."

8. Grip Docility

+1,666
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The Holy Spirit convicts of sin. Repentance... I.E. “Admission of guilt” and “Turning to Jesus (John 5:39)

Judgement remains law based condemnation of our fellow human being.

9. SoldierOfTheKing

SoldierOfTheKing Christian Spenglerian

+2,684
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Well, perhaps not judging Donald Trump is a start...
    ^_^

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+33,584
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The situation you quote from 2 Corinthians 2 is how Paul instructed to bring a repentant brother back to the fold. Once repentant the flock should encourage and restore the church member. He is not negating the judgement of 1 Corinthians 5 but showing the desired fulfillment is restoration. And as your own quoted shows the member was disciplined. Now Paul tells those who administered the discipline to show compassion and restore the repentant member.

This actually shows rebuke for sin. Is that not a judgment? And if so what is the judgement based on? God's Holy standards not the whim of the church leaders.

What is the relevance to James 2:10 for church discipline?

11. expos4ever

expos4ever Well-Known Member

+4,150
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    About that Luke text about getting a sword. Jesus clearly states that the instruction to buy a sword fulfills a prophecy that Jesus would be seen as numbered with transgressors. If the instruction to get the sword was for self defence, how does this make Jesus "numbered among transgressors"?

It doesn't. Therefore, this cannot be what Jesus is getting at.

If, on the other hand, the instruction is given so that Jesus would be seen as a member of an armed band of rebels, the prophecy is clearly fulfilled.

The only question here is whether you ignore the prophecy and force Jesus to be promoting armed self-defence. Or you go with what the text actually says.

12. Apologetic_Warrior

Apologetic_Warrior Pilgrim

+3,184
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    To answer the question, the problem, based on my collective experiences of mingling with people, is so many ungodly people with very little knowledge of Scripture, can be found quoting that passage to shut Christians up and at the same time in a twisted fashion as an excuse to (in their defiled minds) justify or excuse their sinful words, deeds, behavior, etc. To twist things even further, are those calling themselves Christians whom would have the least compassion, mercy, and love for their bruised, downtrodden, suffering, lonely, struggling with sin brothers and sisters in Christ. In other words, many would rather walk a mile with hopes of a convert rather than walk next door to comfort a suffering brother or sister in Christ. These type of things can produce a hardening effect on even the most faithful.

13. Introverted1293

Introverted1293 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,566
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Christians are supposed to judge sin. I am the last person who has the right to say this because I still have a problem with sin. But I do know that Christians are supposed to judge sin as long as they take the log out of their own eye. But Christians are not supposed to judge sin to condemn people, but to restore them to Jesus Christ.

I actually don't know if I understood the op right.

But actually from what I understood from Paul we are not supposed to judge people outside the church by Christian standards. We are actually supposed to judge the things inside the church. It is actually Christians that we are supposed to judge whether they are truly Christians or not. That's what I understood what Paul meant when he said people outside the church he leaves them up to God, it is the matters inside the church that we are supposed to judge.

But the only focus I am trying to focus on is myself. I do not have the right to judge anyone because I still have a problem with sin. But I'm just saying those whose hearts are blameless. My heart is not blameless. So I'm not making an excuse of becoming judgmental. I'm just saying what I understood what Paul was saying.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+28,281
    Anglican
    Married
    Nevertheless, the content of that post covered the issue quite well and did answer your question, so I would still say you could waste a lot of time looking elsewhere.

15. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain

+5,905
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I didn't vote because I don't believe that the right answer is on the poll.

"Judge not..." does not mean that we can make no moral judgments. If that were the case then many Old Testament prophets, New Testament Apostles, and Jesus himself would be guilty of violating this very command.

Jeremiah repeatedly made judgments about the behavior and disobedience of Israel and called them to repentance. Jesus himself made judgments about the behavior - and even the motivations - of his opponents. Jesus said: "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand." Jesus also said: "Unless you repent you will likewise perish." Peter made judgements about the sinful behavior of the Gentiles and said that the enemies of Jesus would perish at his coming (2 Peter 1).

So "Judge not..." does not mean that we can make no moral judgments. It means, first, that we should not judge concerning matters that are unknown to us - such as invisible thoughts, motivations, and dispositions of the heart. We can only judge based on what we see, not on what we assume or presume about people. Secondly, "Judge not", means that we cannot act as judge in terms of passing sentences on people and punishing them for their misdeeds. God alone is judge. Only he can condemn and punish sins. We cannot punish the sins of others, though we can declare that behaviors are sinful and call people to repentance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Apologetic_Warrior

Apologetic_Warrior Pilgrim

+3,184
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I didn't vote for the same reason. Nicely stated and informative.

17. Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth Active Member

+259
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    BW, Another habit I've noticed from contemporary (so-called) Liberals (translation: cultural Marxists).. They are loudly & ubiquitously condemning hate.. by harassing & hating on Conservatives & right-wingers. The irony of their own bigotries, seems to be completely lost on them [sort of like the implication in the title of this thread, only Conservative Republicans are judgmental hypocrites (?)].
    It is what it is, y'know. peace

18. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Member since 2005 Supporter

+1,063
    United States
    Baptist
    Private
    Yes, He does.

Absolutely, I'll post them each and every time that a question is asked, that has already been so thoroughly answered by another, whom also, so graciously, allows the use of that work, in exchange, for a link back to the work.

19. Grip Docility

+1,666
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Interesting...

Righteous judgment would be Love based and void of the 613 Mitzvahs.

Jesus says He Alone is our “Teacher”.

If the Pharisees were moral experts and received Jesus’ most scathing rebuke (Matthew 23)...

Where does that leave us... from your perspective, in your own words?

20. Grip Docility

+1,666
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    American Liberal Democrat Jesus is also a false notion...

Jesus is unique to scripture and void of politics

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List