May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Sure in this context of refusing to bake a cake... I acknowledge that the only viable harm is a physical harm. I already indicated that. See "floodgates principle" as to my reasons why.
Why is it only in the context of baking a cake? Sounds like special pleading to me. If I were to try to expand it to something like getting a job, then sure, other circumstances could be objectively measured such as income. But what about all other non-essentials? What makes cakes so special they deserve their own rule?

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟204,736.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right. Violating God's commandment to honor marriage would be wrong. This does not honor God's design for marriage. Hence, he took the expected attacks and ridiculously high fine.

Hebrews 13:4 Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

God's commands are written to and for Christians. Not for Christians to use against non-Christians. We are to spread the Good News to others, and offer our great testimony though our actions.

When God commands something in the Bible, He is saying---reader, do or don't do this. He is not saying reader---go and police the world and make others adhere to my commands, especially while you are disobeying Him in the process. He gave us free will, He does not expect us to remove said free will from those He gave it to.

So, yes God said do not engage homosexuality. No one asked the baker to engage in homosexuality. He was asked to bake a cake which did not violate God's commands. However, he choose to disobey God by not making the cake.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it was merely because they were gay, but largely because of the historical context in which homosexuality was conflated with pedophilia, communism "mind pollution", among some things. There was a large historic context of both ignorance and scapegoating of societal problems of various minority groups.

So, them being gay wasn't the issue as much as people were made believe that "gay" meant something else. The reason why in today's society homosexuality is normalized is precisely because those cultural myths were gradually and systematically were shown false.

Pedophilia is not the same thing as homosexuality, so there isn't reasons to make educational films like "Boys beware" and call the offenders homosexuals.

I'm not sure how important these distinctions are, though they do tend to support my idea that homosexuals were discriminated against -- for whatever reason -- and so the government (at least in some cities and states, and to a limited extend on the federal level) felt the need to extend protections toward them.

It seems your also using this as an argument to claim that these protections are no longer needed, as many of these "memes" have been debunked. First, there is the issue that many still believe many of these memes -- for example, you'll find threads here where people argue the homosexuals are pedophiles meme.

But even if that wasn't the case, even if no one still believed these memes, the fact remains that we still see plenty of examples of gays being discriminated against -- and likely the vast majority go unreported, particularly in those states and localities that have no protections for gays. As other stories here show, by complaining, these gays tend to open themselves up to further harassment (particularly from people who agree with the business doing the discriminating).

Likewise, yes, private homosexuals were blackmailed by Communists into becoming spies, but it doesn't make all homosexuals Communists, etc, etc, etc.

And I find this irrelevant. You could just as easily make the argument that adulterers are all Communists but that doesn't really fit either, despite the facts that Communists would blackmail adulterers into working for them.

That's a point that abstracts the "middle of the dispute" from the "beginning of a dispute". Virtually all of the disputes begin with one group of people doing something, and the other group of people disputing the validity of that action of idea by bothering them. Thus, I don't really see that as a viable distinction.

Again, the only reason they can be barred from doing anything is if they are openly homosexual (which few people were) , if they are labelled as such in close-knit community, or if they have a criminal record in broader context of community (like sexual offenders are today). Otherwise, how can you tell apart a homosexual walking into a store? Especially if they are not openly homosexual.

These issues were complex in the past because of generic "mental illness" category in which a lot of things were thrown together indiscriminately (yes, that last word is important). Thus, there were a lot of pedophiles who were "homosexuals" who lived among homosexuals. There was a broader societal confusion on this issue, even among people who were generically labeled homosexuals and thus believed it to be an adequate label.

But, that's besides the point, because below is the main reason why it's problematic.

Except there have always been the standard "stereotypes," such as the effeminate man or the butch woman -- and people (even if not homosexual) would frequently be discriminated against because they seemed to exhibit those traits. And it ignores the idea of a homosexual couple not being able to be "together" in public.

In this context, you'd have to justify connecting setting X to setting Y. Setting X is beating and murder, and setting Y is baking a cake for a wedding. In this context you'd have to consistently show that because X is wrong, therefore Y is also wrong in context of the "floodgate principle", meaning that if we are going to make up universal rules for people to live by, these would need to be consistently applied to various categories of mistreated people, if you are going to imply that because X then Y. That's the only reason I brought up this issue.

Otherwise, we are talking about two different settings - murder and beating is clearly wrong, and refusing to sell the cake is nowhere near or related to this issue, and you'd have to show how it's wrong apart from appealing to murder and beating.

Again, we should protect people against being beaten and murdered. I totally vote YES for that. But, that's not what you are arguing against in context of equality of rights.

All of us shouldn't be murdering each other, or be murdered by someone, right?

You can argue that no one should refuse to bake cakes for anyone... and I'll be the first one knocking on your door to prove that point wrong.

You can then say, but I don't bake cakes for living, but that's the point. You can't consistently transfer "Because no-one should be murdered" and then argue "This special category was beaten and murdered, and refused hosing and sales more than everyone, therefore no one should do that". You are mixing the settings and arguments.

I agree that murder is always wrong no matter who we are murdering or the reasons we have for murder. I disagree that refusing someone to sell something is always wrong no matter who we are selling to or the reason we have for refusal. Thus, you can't mix the two claims and throw these in the same category of claims as people did, and perhaps still do with homosexuality.

OK, now you are switching the context from "beating and murder" to "friendly and kind". There's a vast in-between gap with these concepts.

And I would say you are being naive here. You are trying to claim that a group despised enough to get "beaten and murdered," with law enforcement often looking the other way, does not effect a persons, who belongs to that class, ability to live their life; that they aren't going to face a lot of other forms of discrimination in their lives?

Beyond that, I did address the idea that they did face discrimination in trying to find housing or even to buy at the retail level. Again, that is the reason that the "gay ghettos" exist today.

Likewise, you are confused as to what's Government job should be. Government job is to protect against immoral extremes. It's not there to enforce ideals. If someone is crabby hermit by nature of their existence, it's not government's job to force them to be a polite socialite.

I'd say that is your opinion as to the job of government. I would say in the US we've gotten to the point, at least back in the 1960's (with the Civil Rights Act), where the idea was that government is there to protect people, including their ability to fully participate in society. And don't bother trying to show that the government isn't perfect at it, or that it doesn't protect everyone "equally" -- the idea here is more that it is an ideal, a goal.

I think there is a debate to be had about how far these protections should extend. I mean we currently have another thread on the board where a lesbian couple was denied housing. There was one, though it was a while ago, about a gay couple denied landscaping services, you have this thread about a florist. Additionally, there is an issue with how you construct a law which protects people from discrimination, while, at the same time, not putting an undue burden on businesses.

The issue being, as soon as you start carving out exemptions, such as a businesses not being required to make items for "events" (such as weddings); history shows us that some owners will start trying to abuse that exemption, such as claiming they only bake for "events" -- even if it is just (to use the baker again) an "event" to celebrate a Monday night at home or something equally nonsensical.

The other side is, these are businesses being required to provide services. Again, an argument can be made that perhaps there should be protections for sole proprietorships or family run businesses, to protect the business owner's beliefs. But, particularly for businesses with multiple employees, we have laws to try and protect employee's beliefs -- for example, where while a business would need to bake the cake for the gay wedding, they would give the cake to an employee who doesn't feel like it violates his beliefs.

Likewise no one owes anyone "the full participation in society". I know someone who is extremely shy and insecure with the world because of restrictions, expectations of him that were placed by his parents. As a result, he never dated a woman and is terrified of failure or rejection, and is afraid of job interviews, and the guy is 40. As a result of this psychological abuse by parents, he is also unable to fully participate in society... more so than many homosexuals today.

There are plentiful cases like that, and it's not up to the government to resolve these cases.

And while sad, this seems to, again, you trying to muddy the issues. Again, Civil Rights laws are to protect groups who have traditionally faced discrimination that limit there ability to participate in society. If your fried was gay, the law would do nothing to "force" him into society, or to solve his issues, that it does today. Civil Rights laws attempt to make it so that society does not prevent, or create artificial obstacles, people being able to be able to participate in society. But the laws are from the other side -- they open up society so these people can participate -- they do not force people to participate in this society being opened to them, much less provide help or incentive to participate.

Now, if we were talking about arguments for universal healthcare, then this story would likely become relevant -- that this person you know could get the medical (psychiatric) help to enable him to help him cope (and possibly in someways heal) from the years of abuse. But it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, at least directly.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not what I'm finding. They were charged 135,000 for discrimination. From here: https://christiannews.net/2015/04/2...s-for-declining-to-make-cake-for-gay-wedding/

"In February, a judge with the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries ruled that the Christian bakers are guilty of discrimination for declining to make the cake, thus moving the matter into the sentencing phase. The Kleins have expressed concern for months that if they were forced to pay a fine for declining the cake over their Christian convictions, the penalty would “definitely” bankrupt the family. Speculations were that the fine could range from $75,000 to $150,000.

On Friday, Alan McCullough, an administrative judge with the bureau, recommended a fine of $135,000, with one of the women receiving $75,000 and the other $60,000. Prosecutors had sought damages of $75,000 each.

According to the Daily Signal, the two women, who have been identified as Rachel Cryer and Laurel Bowman, submitted individual lists of just under 100 aspects of suffering in order to receive the damages. They included “acute loss of confidence,” “doubt,” “distrust of men,” “distrust of former friends,” “excessive sleep,” “discomfort,” “high blood pressure,” “impaired digestion,” “loss of appetite,” “migraine headaches,” “loss of pride,” “resumption of smoking habit,” “shock” “stunned,” “surprise,” “uncertainty,” “weight gain” and “worry.”

But the Kleins told the court that they too had suffered because of the attacks that they received over their desire to live out their Christian faith in the workplace. They stated that they endured “mafia tactics” as their car was vandalized and broken into on two occasions, their vendors were harassed by homosexual advocates resulting in some businesses breaking ties with them, and they received threatening emails wishing rape, death and Hell upon the family. As a result, they had to close their business and move it into their private home."

In some ways, it isn't surprising that many articles about the case didn't distinguish that the ruling separated the finding that discrimination occurred, which had no fine, and the fine for "emotional distress" -- we know news articles will often oversimplify things, particularly when it comes from a single "ruling." If you want to read the judgement, you can find it here. If you want, you can read Snopes summary here.

Sounds like they each should have simply moved on with their lives instead of this mess. Suffering all around.

And, in many ways, that is the reason for the fine. The lesbian couple attempted to move on with their life -- they had their ceremony. But the Klein's didn't -- they kept complaining and bringing more publicity to the case, particularly in evangelical circles, to garner sympathy (and donations) for how they were being "persecuted."

Some of what the ladies listed is ridiculous. "resumption of smoking", "distrust of men" "weight gain"? Really? Give me a break.

And, if you read the ruling, you'll find the judge agrees with you on some of that. OTOH, he found enough actually harassment existed to give them $135,000.

The Kleins suffered vandalism, death threats, loss of their vendors, and emails threatening rape, death, and hell to them and their kids. So pardon me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for the ladies and think they should have just found another bakery to get their "commitment cake" (because again, same sex marriage was not even a legally recognized entity).

The difference here, again, the lesbian couple tried to move on with their life, they didn't seek media attention or the spotlight. By contrast, the Klein's were the ones who kept the story in the news and, because of that, it is not surprising that some of the attention they received was negative.

Last, whether the same sex marriage was legal in Oregon at the time or not, it doesn't change the fact that Oregon law does not allow them to discriminate in this manner; at least with how the law is currently written and interpreted.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Not what I'm finding. They were charged 135,000 for discrimination. From here: https://christiannews.net/2015/04/2...s-for-declining-to-make-cake-for-gay-wedding/

"In February, a judge with the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries ruled that the Christian bakers are guilty of discrimination for declining to make the cake, thus moving the matter into the sentencing phase. The Kleins have expressed concern for months that if they were forced to pay a fine for declining the cake over their Christian convictions, the penalty would “definitely” bankrupt the family. Speculations were that the fine could range from $75,000 to $150,000.

On Friday, Alan McCullough, an administrative judge with the bureau, recommended a fine of $135,000, with one of the women receiving $75,000 and the other $60,000. Prosecutors had sought damages of $75,000 each.

According to the Daily Signal, the two women, who have been identified as Rachel Cryer and Laurel Bowman, submitted individual lists of just under 100 aspects of suffering in order to receive the damages. They included “acute loss of confidence,” “doubt,” “distrust of men,” “distrust of former friends,” “excessive sleep,” “discomfort,” “high blood pressure,” “impaired digestion,” “loss of appetite,” “migraine headaches,” “loss of pride,” “resumption of smoking habit,” “shock” “stunned,” “surprise,” “uncertainty,” “weight gain” and “worry.”

But the Kleins told the court that they too had suffered because of the attacks that they received over their desire to live out their Christian faith in the workplace. They stated that they endured “mafia tactics” as their car was vandalized and broken into on two occasions, their vendors were harassed by homosexual advocates resulting in some businesses breaking ties with them, and they received threatening emails wishing rape, death and Hell upon the family. As a result, they had to close their business and move it into their private home."

Sounds like they each should have simply moved on with their lives instead of this mess. Suffering all around. Some of what the ladies listed is ridiculous. "resumption of smoking", "distrust of men" "weight gain"? Really? Give me a break.

The Kleins suffered vandalism, death threats, loss of their vendors, and emails threatening rape, death, and hell to them and their kids. So pardon me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for the ladies and think they should have just found another bakery to get their "commitment cake" (because again, same sex marriage was not even a legally recognized entity).

What is most telling is that the the claims of the Daily Crier regarding Rachel Cryer and Laurel Bowman list of 100 aspects of suffering is no where to be found in the court records
file:///C:/Users/Michael/Documents/Sweet%20Cakes%20FO.pdf
in fact no record of the list the Daily Crier speaks of can be found.

of other interesting notes is that while Kleins have profited by taking hundreds of thousands of dollars Rachel Cryer and Laurel Bowman refused the court settlement because they never wanted the money in the first place.

What Rachel Cryer and Laurel Bowman have done is keep a record documenting the tens of thousands of threats made to them and their children. In contrast the threats the Klein's supposedly received were never reported to the police.

Oregon Live published a few of the death threats the family receives on a daily basis even though the case has been settled years ago.
"I am buying up my ammo right now you filthy, ugly, disgusting, fat, stupid, cruel, anti-Christian piece of liberal scum, I am getting ready for the war so I hope you have a good hiding place, you sick, disgusting, miserable, piece of degenerate lesbian scum."

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Why is it only in the context of baking a cake? Sounds like special pleading to me. If I were to try to expand it to something like getting a job, then sure, other circumstances could be objectively measured such as income. But what about all other non-essentials? What makes cakes so special they deserve their own rule?

I'm not making "a special rule for selling cakes" here. I'm trying to avoid you jumping contexts to irrelevant subjects. If you want to discuss apartheid/segregation, which is entirely different context than homosexuality, then we can certainly discuss that. What you can't do is to say because of X then Y, when the only commonality between the two is discrimination against marginal categories. Your logic then devolves to circularity.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not making "a special rule for selling cakes" here. I'm trying to avoid you jumping contexts to irrelevant subjects. If you want to discuss apartheid/segregation, which is entirely different context than homosexuality, then we can certainly discuss that. What you can't do is to say because of X then Y, when the only commonality between the two is discrimination against marginal categories. Your logic then devolves to circularity.
That has nothing to do with my questions. You're deflecting again. Why are you limiting the context to cakes? You've already made the context about both black people and gays by using the word "anyone". Refusing to sell a cake has never harmed a black person. That's already entailed in your claim. Why just cake?

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
And I find this irrelevant. You could just as easily make the argument that adulterers are all Communists but that doesn't really fit either, despite the facts that Communists would blackmail adulterers into working for them.

It's relevant in historical context of what people were thinking homosexuality was. I agree that those myths were incorrect, but that's the predominant reason for marginalization of homosexuals, and not the fact that these people are in that category people as you perceive it to be today.

Through the eyes of past history, homosexuals were "Unpatriotic predatory pedophiles". Thus the hate was beyond mere aversion to men kissing men. People actually thought that homosexuals hurt children, etc, etc.

Thus, again, your appeal is that group X was abused simply because of their sexual idenity is false. It's much more complicated.

And I would say you are being naive here. You are trying to claim that a group despised enough to get "beaten and murdered," with law enforcement often looking the other way, does not effect a persons, who belongs to that class, ability to live their life; that they aren't going to face a lot of other forms of discrimination in their lives?

Yes, I think it's a valid point, but only in so much that you are applying it to people who suffered abuse in the past. But you are neglecting to mention that much of it is due to re-enforced government decriminalization of certain activity. For example, I personally would be for decriminalization of pot for the same reason... it was an excuse to jail more black people in the past.

For example, I have Jewish background. And we went as a family to a Lebanese restaurant and the timing was unfortunate... It was during the time Israel was bombing the daylights out of the Lebanon. It didn't actually occur to me at the time, but we slipped that we have Jewish background and there's some "food overlap"... But the attitude of the waiter changed drastically. I was not about to cry anti-Semites, because I get it. He likely has relatives, and it's a complex situation that all of us should sit and discuss in some long-form format in which each side can get to express grievances whether relevant or not.

We may not find compromise, and they wouldn't want to serve us at that restaurant... and I would understand why also. I'm not saying that it's justified, but it's a complex issue that shouldn't be forced down the throats of other... Even if there was Nazi Germany or generic prejudice against Jews in the past.

The way to rid of anti-Semitism is not for government to dictate for other people to accept it as a norm. The way to get rid of it is to disspell the myths, and that only happens through cultural conversation. Government actions like these tend to declare the other side being a winner prior to having any debate on the subject matter.

Hence I disagree with that approach. I want someone to accept me because they understand and not as a perfunctory obligation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That has nothing to do with my questions. You're deflecting again. Why are you limiting the context to cakes? You've already made the context about both black people and gays by using the word "anyone". Refusing to sell a cake has never harmed a black person. That's already entailed in your claim. Why just cake?

No. Deflecting is something that you keep on doing when you are switching contexts from homosexuality to segregation.

And I actually explained that one before, so let's not pretend that you don't understand my position.

I could list you a whole score of things that wouldn't hurt people if they were refused these, but why would I? That's not what we are discussing. If you'd like to discuss this issue, then sure... we can. It would not be of much relevance to this thread.

What's relevant to this thread is whether refusal of specific things in context of availability of alternatives is harmful.

Do you think refusal of flower arrangement or baking the cake is harmful?

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'd say that is your opinion as to the job of government. I would say in the US we've gotten to the point, at least back in the 1960's (with the Civil Rights Act), where the idea was that government is there to protect people, including their ability to fully participate in society. And don't bother trying to show that the government isn't perfect at it, or that it doesn't protect everyone "equally" -- the idea here is more that it is an ideal, a goal.

No. I actually am of the mindset that government is generally competent at most things that revolve around procedural structure.

This conversation is obviously not about what "US decided". I am apart of that "US" and obviously I disagree, just like many people would on this subject. Thus, it is a context of the internal struggle for maintaining viable sets of compromises that meet in the middle on this issue.

I don't think that forcing people to be involved in a wedding they don't want to be involved in is a good commercial premise to begin with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
No. Deflecting is something that you keep on doing when you are switching contexts from homosexuality to segregation.
I didn't switch the context to that. We were talking about cake, I asked if it applied to other items, not whether the claim applied to different categories of people. You already stated it applied to everyone, so I don't need to switch context between gays and blacks, we're talking about both. I didn't change the subject to that, you did.

I could list you a whole score of things that wouldn't hurt people if they were refused these, but why would I? That's not what we are discussing. If you'd like to discuss this issue, then sure... we can. It would not be of much relevance to this thread.
Well, if there's no harm in refusing goods and services, and valuing equality for all is "Communism"... Then why have anti-discrimination laws at all?

What's relevant to this thread is whether refusal of specific things in context of availability of alternatives is harmful.
Which specific things? Why pick cakes and flowers to allow people to discriminate over other things? Why pick some categories of people to protect from discrimination and not others once we pick the specific things? How do we go about deciding on the availability of alternatives? What distance should people be expected to travel to find them? Is a cake from Costco a viable alternative to a cake from Masterpiece Bakery? Should we have a Supreme Court hearing every single time there's a dispute to argue about all of these things?

Do you think refusal of flower arrangement or baking the cake is harmful?
Should everyone be able to refuse any customer they want for any reason as long as they are refusing cakes and flowers? I've asked a lot of questions in this thread, I'd like general answers to those, but I really must insist on a specific answer to this one.

I think refusing goods and services is always harmful. Depending on the items, it may be more harmful than others, but it almost always costs time and money at a minimum.

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well, if there's no harm in refusing goods and services, and valuing equality for all is "Communism"... Then why have anti-discrimination laws at all?

I'm fine with lack of anti-discrimination laws as long as actual discrimination isn't injected as a government mandate.

The historical problems in the past wasn't as much from natural discrimination of one group against other in context of some beliefs or preferences, but rather trying to run to government for solidifying supremacy of one group over the other. Thus, homosexuality was penalized by death, for example, and Jefferson was trying to do homosexuals a favor by reducing punishment to castration, which didn't fly at the time. So, it was in 60s when many of these laws were downgraded substantially.

Obviously, criminalizing the group created larger stigma of "automatically wrong" which perpetuated these issues, since every sexual context involves familiar relationships, and people were viewing violence as a necessary action against protecting their communities against criminals.

But, running back to government in order to now force the hand in this particular argument isn't that much different IMO. That's not the context of "equality under law". Equality under the law would mean that the law should penalize someone for murdering or assault of homosexuals the same way it would penalize for murdering and assault of the old lady next door. It shouldn't automatically grant a category of people certain advantages of "can't refuse these people", which can be very unclear in context of anyone's motives for refusing something.

Ideally it would be a part of larger cultural education as to which claims are myths and false stereotypes, and I see that a much more effective means for eliminating discrimination practices.

Which specific things? Why pick cakes and flowers to allow people to discriminate over other things? Why pick some categories of people to protect from discrimination and not others once we pick the specific things? How do we go about deciding on the availability of alternatives? What distance should people be expected to travel to find them? Is a cake from Costco a viable alternative to a cake from Masterpiece Bakery? Should we have a Supreme Court hearing every single time there's a dispute to argue about all of these things?

They can bake their own cakes, and arrange their own flowers. Many people do that, and it's a perfectly viable alternative that worked for generations, until we get specialization context involved in which we all of a sudden "owe things" to each other. We don't. It's all a subject to contractual negotiations, and free market context makes things better and more available. It was the free market context that gets rid of slavery, topples oppressive governments, and normalizes homosexuality... meaning that government stopped criminalizing or perpetuating discriminatory and forceful practices against these categories of people.

You have to remember that it was government's protection that perpetuated slavery and injustice against the minorities. So, the goal should be having a more neutral legal system and government structure. It shouldn't be micromanaging the "fairness" of our everyday lives.

Should everyone be able to refuse any customer they want for any reason as long as they are refusing cakes and flowers? I've asked a lot of questions in this thread, I'd like general answers to those, but I really must insist on a specific answer to this one.

I think refusing goods and services is always harmful. Depending on the items, it may be more harmful than others, but it almost always costs time and money at a minimum.

Ideally... YES. I don't really care if the vendors are racist, or if they are homophobic, or they are a homosexual villagers that wants to keep heterosexuals out, or a retirement community that only accepts applications from retired people.

I think that government can and should make efforts to remove harmful stereotypes, and should, for example, eliminate law-enforcement corruption. I don't think it's up to governments to legislate anti-discrimination ideals. Ideally, people should have freedom to rent their property to whoever they want, and sell their products to whoever they want. It's not an absolute position that I would hold without viable exceptions, but I think normalizing "victimized classes" can breed more problems than solutions.

What governments shouldn't do, is doing what they have been historically notorious for... embedding discriminatory practices as a part of the legal system. That's where I see is the root of the problem. Anti-discrimination laws are ironically discriminatory in a sense that these discriminate against all of the other "unprotected groups" that are given special privileges in this context.

In context of the free market, the capitalist ideals is to be able to capture the broadest product market possible... and the broadest-possible market includes the minority groups. The bakery that serves everyone would naturally out-compete the bakery that discriminates minority groups. It's as simple as that. Any community that doesn't follow progressive ideals will decay into obscurity and non-existence. Government has little to do with crediting the overall social background for human rights IMO, especially since it was responsible for perpetuating these atrocities to begin with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The other side is, these are businesses being required to provide services. Again, an argument can be made that perhaps there should be protections for sole proprietorships or family run businesses, to protect the business owner's beliefs. But, particularly for businesses with multiple employees, we have laws to try and protect employee's beliefs -- for example, where while a business would need to bake the cake for the gay wedding, they would give the cake to an employee who doesn't feel like it violates his beliefs.

I think a more viable solution historically is:

1) Decriminalizing minorities that were unjustly criminalized in the past.
2) Providing viable platforms for these minorities to dispel stereotypes that result in discriminatory treatments of these minorities

Saying that employee X must not discriminate based on attributes XYZ, but ok to discriminate based on attributes A-W... is somewhat absurd, especially in historical context in which government criminalized behavior of XYZ.

The issue being, as soon as you start carving out exemptions, such as a businesses not being required to make items for "events" (such as weddings); history shows us that some owners will start trying to abuse that exemption, such as claiming they only bake for "events" -- even if it is just (to use the baker again) an "event" to celebrate a Monday night at home or something equally nonsensical.

The problem with the above is that we can paint slippery slopes in the other direction too. If we begin carving out exemptions for minorities, then to which absurd direction can we carve these out to? Can we say that discrimination against any minority categories should be illegal (granted that this category is actually present-day legal activity)? Why not?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'm fine with lack of anti-discrimination laws as long as actual discrimination isn't injected as a government mandate.
Why didn't you just say so to begin with? There was a lot more to desegregation than just the government's hand in protecting it, so when you say it was a good thing, you really should have just said which parts you agreed with and which you didn't.
Ideally it would be a part of larger cultural education as to which claims are myths and false stereotypes, and I see that a much more effective means for eliminating discrimination practices.
But... I thought you didn't believe discrimination was bad and I had to convince you it was? Why should we take any steps at all in any way to eliminate discrimination practices?

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Why didn't you just say so to begin with? There was a lot more to desegregation than just the government's hand in protecting it, so when you say it was a good thing, you really should have just said which parts you agreed with and which you didn't.

There's a forced segregation, as per Jim Crow laws. There's voluntary segregation, as per segregated churches and various cultural settings that are predominantly black.

I disagree with former. I'm ok with latter.

Certainly, desegregation was more than merely government enforcement, but it couldn't be successfully maintained as a cultural norm without government enforcement.

But... I thought you didn't believe discrimination was bad and I had to convince you it was? Why should we take any steps at all in any way to eliminate discrimination practices?

I don't believe ALL discrimination is negative or all is positive. There is plenty of irrational discrimination which is driven by a mix of skewed values, misinformation, myths, and cultural bias. For example, I wouldn't like to be discriminated based on the fact that I'm Jewish, but resolving such discrimination in context of a free-market and free-speech society doesn't lead through filing lawsuits IMO. It leads through having culturally-wide conversations, making films and art, iconizing minority cultural role-models that shown to contribute to society, etc, etc.

Likewise, someone may have a viable reasons to discriminate against me personally in context of certain culture. If such reasons are viable, then we'll agree to certain compromises that don't devolve to violence and mutual hatred. Overall, the basis for mature society is a society that can handle the responsibilities that come with certain freedoms. You can't treat people like children and micromanage their decisions from "governmental parent". You have to let societies work out their differences in natural and organic manner, while mitigating violence and extremes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums