Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Religion has historically been used to justify segregation, slavery, and misogyny, and was repeatedly used in the 1960s to challenge civil rights laws. These facts are not up for debate. The florist’s discriminatory practices ‘demean’ her faith far more than anything the Washington Attorney General has said or done.

I have to agree with the American Atheist, and the bolded is especially insightful. Discrimination in the name of religion is ugly and it's been done before, and courts rejected it.

American Atheists Statement on Supreme Court’s Order in Arlene’s Flowers Case

Last edited:

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think if they are selling the exact same product/service but refuse to sell it to someone based on their orientation then it's discrimination. But if they're asking for some kind of special order then it becomes more complicated.

• Agree
Reactions: akaDaScribe
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
From what I remember, the florist happily served one of the men for a decade. So, she didn't discriminate against homosexuals. Rather, she didn't want to be a part of their "wedding", so she declined to make a custom arrangement for it. Note that she never denied them usual service.

Secularists are too desperate to force people of faith to violate our consciences and engage in practices we understand to be morally wrong. If they were truly concerned with discrimination, then they would lament as much over the discrimination committed by the Colorado "Civil Rights" Commission as they do over bakers, florists, photographers and others choosing which events they want their businesses to be associated with. In fact, I say that they should be even more concerned with the former, as a group of people used their positions of power to discriminate against the affected baker.

It's unfortunate that they, in their "enlightenment", can't grasp this point.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
From what I remember, the florist happily served one of the men for a decade. So, she didn't discriminate against homosexuals. Rather, she didn't want to be a part of their "wedding", so she declined to make a custom arrangement for it. Note that she never denied them usual service.

Secularists are too desperate to force people of faith to violate our consciences and engage in practices we understand to be morally wrong. If they were truly concerned with discrimination, then they would lament as much over the discrimination committed by the Colorado "Civil Rights" Commission as they do over bakers, florists, photographers and others choosing which events they want their businesses to be associated with. In fact, I say that they should be even more concerned with the former, as a group of people used their positions of power to discriminate against the affected baker.

wow that is one big steaming pile.

Did you even read the decision?

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Reactions: Snappy1
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
American Atheists are trying to stamp out freedom of religion.

Surprise, surprise.

It's freedom from religion.
It's a two way street.

Surprise, surprise: you're implictly calling for a privileged position. Exactly what isn't allowed by secularism. If anything, the american atheists are just calling for upholding the constitution.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh, I get that. You want religious people to be second-class citizens, hiding in the shadows.

No. Instead, I want equal rights for all - regardless of religion.
I want all citizens to be first-class citizens - regardless of religion.

To me, religion should be like musical taste. Completely irrelevant in public matters. Wheter you like death metal, reagae, blues or jazz - it doesn't matter one bit to where you can do your groceries, where you want to eat dinner, what school you wish to go too, which public office you wish to run for,.......

Well, no, actually.

Why not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Freedom of Religion means you are free to act upon your religious, or lack of, beliefs.
Freedom of Speech means you are free to speak or not to speak.

The Constitution forbids the government from coercing someone to act or speak when it infringes on their 1st Amendment Rights.

That is why the Lord's Prayer was removed from the public school system.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I get that. You want religious people to be second-class citizens, hiding in the shadows..

No. Instead, I want equal rights for all - regardless of religion.
I want all citizens to be first-class citizens - regardless of religion.

To me, religion should be like musical taste. Completely irrelevant in public matters. Wheter you like death metal, reagae, blues or jazz - it doesn't matter one bit to where you can do your groceries, where you want to eat dinner, what school you wish to go too, which public office you wish to run for,.......
?

probably the best post ever written on this subject.

But I'm sure there are those that will find some way to misconstrue or misunderstand your point...

You can't make exceptions to our socio-economic structure based on religion.

From a mathematical basis, it would be disastrous .
In America there is "freedom of religion"
In America there are dozens of different types of religions
Each religion has its own quirks and rules and principles etc.

If I am allowed to refuse you business because of my religious belief then that means that others would be free to do the same.

You can very easily run into problems that impact the entire economy. Think of combining a Slippery Slope with a Zombie Virus.

You don't serve me because I'm gay, well then my religion says people who wear glasses are evil so I won't serve them. Then that person's religion states that women are property and can't use money so then they don't get served. Then another person's religion says that Asians are evil and thus they can't get served...

on and on and so forth...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You don't serve me because I'm gay, well then my religion says people who wear glasses are evil so I won't serve them.
Disabilities are a protected class, the owner is not being asked to participate in their disability, therefore they are discriminating.
Then that person's religion states that women are property and can't use money so then they don't get served.
In this case gender is protected the owner is discriminating because they are not being asked to provide her with money so that she can buy something. If an owner pulled this one, let him go out of business because he surely would all on his own.
Then another person's religion says that Asians are evil and thus they can't get served...
Race is a protected class, the owner is discriminating because that is their only reason for not serving them. The owner isn't being asked to participate in anything that person is doing that the owner considers evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Was she actually invited to be a part of the wedding? What part? Maid of honor? Best man? Witness? Usher? Officiant? I guess I missed where she was invited to be part of the wedding.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem with these analogies ifs the law forced everyone to decline all services. However, in this case, she declined a gay marriage.

If I sell beanies out of my shop but refuse to sell the beanies to Jews, since I fear they might use them as yarmulkes (since I consider their religion to be evil), am I discriminating against Jews -- even though I'll sell them anything else in my shop?

Reactions: SilverBear
Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If I sell beanies out of my shop but refuse to sell the beanies to Jews, since I fear they might use them as yarmulkes (since I consider their religion to be evil), am I discriminating against Jews -- even though I'll sell them anything else in my shop?

Again someone who doesn't understand the scenario really misses the point.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again someone who doesn't understand the scenario really misses the point.

So how is denying service to a gay wedding (a religious event, which is why it is objected to) any different to denying service to a different religious event? Please explain to me what I'm not understanding and how the scenario misses the point; I suspect you didn't try to address that because the only difference is it is gays being discriminated against in one instance and a religion in the other (both of which are protected classes in Washington).

Upvote 0