America has two Catholic tribes. What to do about it? Not much...

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I travel around the country visiting parishes and speaking at conferences I am constantly amazed at the reality of two seperate Catholic Churches existing together with practically no conversation existing between them.

Continued below.
https://dwightlongenecker.com/americas-two-catholic-churches/

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
“We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has gone through. I do not think that wide circles of American society or wide circles of the Christian community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-Church, of the Gospel versus the anti-Gospel.

“We must be prepared to undergo great trials in the not-too-distant future; trials that will require us to be ready to give up even our lives, and a total gift of self to Christ and for Christ. Through your prayers and mine, it is possible to alleviate this tribulation, but it is no longer possible to avert it. . . .How many times has the renewal of the Church been brought about in blood! It will not be different this time.”

Bicentennial talk given in the United States by Cardinal Karol Wojtyla, who later became St. John Paul II

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Grouch
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As I travel around the country visiting parishes and speaking at conferences I am constantly amazed at the reality of two seperate Catholic Churches existing together with practically no conversation existing between them.

Continued below.
https://dwightlongenecker.com/americas-two-catholic-churches/
I sometimes feel there are tribes to the 'right' of me with the sedevacantists, and the Latin mass only folks, and the like. And tribes galore to the 'left' of me. I don't want to be in a tribe except the plain ordinary believing Catholic tribe. But Fr. Longenecker is astute and calls 'em as he sees them. There are two tribes, more and more exclusive. One tribe would call me an ideologue, rigid, a rosary counter, a triumphalist, an asker for certainty in all things, a creed reciting parrot, fundamentalist, with a heart as sour as vinegar, and on and on.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen brother. It is just sad that the foundation of belief in Jesus Christ and the Church is not nearly enough to truly treat each other as we should. there is a ton of division in the Catholic Church.
I sometimes feel there are tribes to the 'right' of me with the sedevacantists, and the Latin mass only folks, and the like. And tribes galore to the 'left' of me. I don't want to be in a tribe except the plain ordinary believing Catholic tribe. But Fr. Longenecker is astute and calls 'em as he sees them. There are two tribes, more and more exclusive. One tribe would call me an ideologue, rigid, a rosary counter, a triumphalist, an asker for certainty in all things, a creed reciting parrot, fundamentalist, with a heart as sour as vinegar, and on and on.

Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
“We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has gone through. I do not think that wide circles of American society or wide circles of the Christian community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-Church, of the Gospel versus the anti-Gospel.

“We must be prepared to undergo great trials in the not-too-distant future; trials that will require us to be ready to give up even our lives, and a total gift of self to Christ and for Christ. Through your prayers and mine, it is possible to alleviate this tribulation, but it is no longer possible to avert it. . . .How many times has the renewal of the Church been brought about in blood! It will not be different this time.”

Bicentennial talk given in the United States by Cardinal Karol Wojtyla, who later became St. John Paul II

All the physical suffering and humiliation all the calls for his resignation all the nay sayers all those painful and embarrasing moments captured and broadcast on tv images that live long in the memory of all who witnessed the final years of pope john paul ii pontificate... how much would you be willing to bet he offered it all up for the salvation of souls and aliviation of the tribulations of our time... he is rightly called saint pope john paul

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
All the physical suffering and humiliation all the calls for his resignation all the nay sayers all those painful and embarrasing moments captured and broadcast on tv images that live long in the memory of all who witnessed the final years of pope john paul ii pontificate... how much would you be willing to bet he offered it all up for the salvation of souls and aliviation of the tribulations of our time... he is rightly called saint pope john paul
It's good that Pope Benedict XVI was there at JPII's canonization.

Upvote 0