"America First" caucus "a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You do realize that there was history before Donald, right? He is most certainly not the Alpha and Omega.
We don’t speak of the Jahiliyyah.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The OPs article also included two quotes said to be from the platform. This is from the article:

The platform promotes "a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions" and advocates for infrastructure with aesthetic value that "befits the progeny of European architecture," Punchbowl News reported on Friday.
Both the Anglo Saxon and European references are recognised code for 'white'. These are a couple of the reasons why a number of Conservatives have criticised the policy as blatantly white supremacist.

If you look at Gaetz statement, which you quoted (above), you'll notice that it doesn't actually deny the mention of Anglo Saxon. He says" Its not returning to Anglo Saxo tradition". Nor does he deny the racial overtones. His words are "It's not supposed to be about race at all".

Gaetz is not denying what was said - he's denying what it means.

OB
It appears the lady who was behind the initial launching of this caucus has scrapped it, and it will not be launched due to blowback. The fact that she decided to scrap it tells me perhaps there was some merit to the claims people have been making about it.
I have no problem with the idea of america first, but if there is a caucus given that name, that’s a different story.

Marjorie Taylor Greene scraps planned launch of controversial 'America First' caucus amid blowback from GOP - CNNPolitics

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It kind of has everything to do with it.
No; it’s not fair to assume something is racist simply because racism is not going to label itself as such for our convince; there has to be evidence that it is racist.
I'd have a problem with the name "KKK."
No, would you have a problem with the flag because the KKK used it in the past?
The Democrat party repented on their racist past... and the ones who didn't switched to Republicans.
But they didn’t change their name. To say you can’t use the name because of how the name was used in the past is unfair IMO
You might want to read posts in their entirety, and not just the parts you quote... plenty of people out there think white supremacy would be best for America.
There are also plenty of people out there who don’t want what’s best for America. Plenty of nut jobs on all sides of the fence.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No, would you have a problem with the flag because the KKK used it in the past?

No, because I understand that the KKK took a otherwise-noble symbol of America and twisted it to their own perverse purpose.... kind of like what they did to Christianity and the Cross.

Hey, imagine that -- trying to whitewash (pun intended) racism by wrapping it up in time-honored symbols of patriotism and faith...

...nah; who'd be dumb enough to fall for that -- again and again and again?

But they didn’t change their name. To say you can’t use the name because of how the name was used in the past is unfair IMO

Your opinion is noted. But since you're ignoring the fact that the Democratic Party has been the same organization all along, whereas "America First" is reviving the name of a well-known racist organization, I wouldn't count on your opinion being taken very seriously.

There are also plenty of people out there who don’t want what’s best for America. Plenty of nut jobs on all sides of the fence.

Perhaps -- but I will assume the position that anyone who gets involved in American politics wants to improve America... their way.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The question was; who was the LAST person to use the term. History has nothing to do with this conversation.

The last person was Donald.

The last person who used "Make America Great Again" was also Donald... who stole it from Reagan.

upload_2021-4-18_12-46-1.jpeg

See a pattern? Donald steals ideas from people he wants to imitate.

• Agree
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, because I understand that the KKK took a otherwise-noble symbol of America and twisted it to their own perverse purpose.... kind of like what they did to Christianity and the Cross.
So you do not have a problem with the American flag even though the KKK used it for their hatred; you’re making my point.
Your opinion is noted. But since you're ignoring the fact that the Democratic Party has been the same organization all along, whereas "America First" is reviving the name of a well-known racist organization, I wouldn't count on your opinion being taken very seriously.
America first was not a well known racist organization. I doubt if most people even heard about the original organization until this became an issue; I know I’ve never heard of it.
Perhaps -- but I will assume the position that anyone who gets involved in American politics wants to improve America... their way.
Not politics, activism. I think it is more of the activist type who don’t want what’s best for the Country.

The last person who used "Make America Great Again" was also Donald... who stole it from Reagan.

Sounds like we agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So you do not have a problem with the American flag even though the KKK used it for their hatred; you’re making my point.

America First originated with the far right and fascist groups in the US in the 40s. There is no original good usage of the term, and it has repeatedly been deployed by racists and pretty much only by racists.

The ratio of racists to decent people using the flag of the US, however, is far lower. This is a tedious false equivalence.

America first was not a well known racist organization. I doubt if most people even heard about the original organization until this became an issue; I know I’ve never heard of it.

I don't really think this discussion will be improved by limiting it based on the amount of things you're ignorant about...

Not politics, activism. I think it is more of the activist type who don’t want what’s best for the Country.

....speaking of which, activism is politics.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

View attachment 297909

Bannon and Steven Miller were the two who pushed the phrase with Trump, and the agenda.

Bannon ties this idea to his notion of "economic nationalism" and attempts to show that the concept need not be racist. Indeed Bannon proposes many job training and other programs for black US citizens, as well as wanting to essentially end immigration.

Those who took Bannon's banner are not as nuanced. Many prefer the phrase/idea of "Make America White Again" as they long to return to the 50's.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
America First originated with the far right and fascist groups in the US in the 40s. There is no original good usage of the term, and it has repeatedly been deployed by racists and pretty much only by racists.

The ratio of racists to decent people using the flag of the US, however, is far lower. This is a tedious false equivalence.
How many racist organizations from the past have used the name "America first?

I don't really think this discussion will be improved by limiting it based on the amount of things you're ignorant about...
Not just my ignorance, everybody's. Have you heard of the organization before this became an issue? I will bet most people have not because it was not a well known organization.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I propose a “Sanity First” party. It will promote the values of reason, rational thinking, humanitarianism, appreciation of science, environmental protection, and equal respect for all persons of good will, without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, or politics.

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How many racist organizations from the past have used the name "America first?

America First Committee, for one, with antisemite Lindbergh leading the charge.

A Short History of 'America First'
End of the American dream? The dark history of 'America first'

You also have racists like Trump, Bannon, and Miller in senior leadership positions of the last administration pushing the term.

The reason it stood out to me is we have a bunch of idiot fascists here called Britain First - this crap is nothing if not constantly derivative.

Not just my ignorance, everybody's. Have you heard of the organization before this became an issue? I will bet most people have not because it was not a well known organization.

I had, but so what if you are right? I especially wouldn't use the ignorance of the general public as any kind of reference for...well, for much. It doesn't magically make the words ok, it just means there are more people to be conned by it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I propose a “Sanity First” party. It will promote the values of reason, rational thinking, humanitarianism, appreciation of science, environmental protection, and equal respect for all persons of good will, without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, or politics.

I would only note that this platform is in contradistinction to the ideas of the current Republican Party.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

I know you'd like to believe that

You're going to have to come to terms with the idea that some people know more than you.

Activists like Thomas Paine?
Frederick Douglass?
Susan B. Anthony?
Margaret Sanger?
MLK?
Rosa Parks?
Cesar Chavez?
Phylis Schafly?
Tom Hayden?

Perhaps they weren't very good for your vision of America (except perhaps Schafly), but...

Sounds like we agree.

Indeed -- Donald steals a lot from the past... showing he pays attention to it.

• Agree
Reactions: Triumvirate
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,845.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

View attachment 297909

Stole his idea of letting a plague run unchecked also. Ironic that we are just now getting cures and vaccines for the one Reagan chose to ignore because it was a gay disease that would nver impact straight people.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
hobby lobby, among others

arkansas, among others

jacob blake, kenosha

you'd need to be aware of the facts first to make that assertion :wave:

You are either severely misinformed or deliberately spreading misinformation it disinformation.

Hobby Lobby did not deny birthcontrol. They cover 16 methods of birth control.

Hobby Lobby Actually Lavishes Contraception Coverage on Its Employees | National Review

Arkansas did not deny trans medical care. They can get all the medical care they need. As adults they can undergo any treatment or therapy they want. Arkansas' law only affects minors from undergoing therapy utilizing therapy that is questionable as to it's safety and life altering when their brains and bodies haven't matured yet. It's interesting that you don't support the protection of children.

Jacob Black was not shot for opening a car door. He was shot for reaching for a knife that was in the car. Both internal and criminal investigations proved that.

I don't know what you are trying to do, but spreading the kind of false information you have is morally wrong. Unless of course you are simply misinformed. How can we trust anything you say?

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would only note that this platform is in contradistinction to the ideas of the current Republican Party.

Sad, but true. Though what I posted is pretty much in keeping with the Republican Party of people like Nelson Rockefeller, Jacob Javits, John Lindsay, and Chuck Percy. And more recently, Bill Weld, Lincoln Chafee, Colin Powell, and Olympia Snowe. This is back when it really was the Grand Old Party and hadn’t sold out to religious right authoritarians. I can’t imagine what Presidents Eisenhower, or Reagan would think if they could see what Donald Trump has done to their party. Heck, I’ll bet Ronald Reagan would go back to being a Democrat.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.