"America First" caucus "a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right. But the article does not break down the Christian component by denomination. Many of the immigrants are Roman Catholic, which from the standpoint of right-wing Christian populism, makes them "nones."

But Catholics hold many of the typical GOP platform ideas of family-orientation, anti-abortion, etc...

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
But Catholics hold many of the typical GOP platform ideas of family-orientation, anti-abortion, etc...
Yes, they do. But the Catholic vote split about 50-50 in 2020.

• Informative
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They also hold ideas like a strong social safety nets, workers rights and increased police accountability.

I'm conservative but care about those things too - they're not mutually exclusive. Many of us are less interested in saving the GOP than in saving America.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm conservative but care about those things too - they're not mutually exclusive. Many of us are less interested in saving the GOP than in saving America.
But the GOP leadership, who are the people who need to be bought in for any immigration change, are concerned with saving the GOP. They are not going to want to increase the demographics of people who aren't reliable GOP voters.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Because even if it was legit, it would be political suicide to say so.

Would it be?

Or have they just been emboldened enough to say the silent part out loud?

If he knew that when he was in office, why would he not know it now...?

According to the article, "Conservative House of Representatives Republicans plan to form an "America First" caucus to promote the policies of ex-President Donald Trump and said on Friday the group would soon release a policy platform."

The whole point of the party is to emulate Donald -- who, over four years of his presidency, said and did so many things that should have been "political suicide" that he should have tic-tac-toe marks on his wrists.

Now that the right has seen what they can get away with...

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,277.00
Faith
Pentecostal

I agree with you. The difficulty we conservatives have is convincing the left of that. They just automatically assume we are against helping anyone, we want workers treated and paid badly, and we are for letting police off for any actions they take.

Why? Because we disagree with exactly how much the left wants and how they want to do it. We see we can do those things without giving the house away.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachel20
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
FYI. I am not white so I’m not sure what you assume I am justifying

You're justifying fascism by claiming (correctly) that every race has practiced slavery.

Regardless of your race, it's an "interesting" argument, to say the least.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with you. The difficulty we conservatives have is convincing the left of that. They just automatically assume we are against helping anyone, we want workers treated and paid badly, and we are for letting police off for any actions they take.

Why? Because we disagree with exactly how much the left wants and how they want to do it. We see we can do those things without giving the house away.

Let's be clear.

I agree that the left has little respect for conservatives, given their support for all that Trump has done. Many have little respect for their policies, with such dislike going back for decades. I would note that Biden is NOT one of those leftist, although it will be increasingly difficult for Biden to control their votes.

That being said, it is McConnell who is responsible for the lack of discussion of the issues that you mention. He has made clear that Republicans are simply not allowed to vote for any Biden legislation.

There has always been some Republican senators who are willing to develop legislation with Democrats. This is certainly possible on more criminal justice reform (passed under Trump), on DACA, on drug addiction, on infrastructure, on health care, on gun legislation and on lots of other issues.

This simply cannot happen unit the 2022 elections. McConnell won't allow it. And if McConnell is replaced, it would be by a much more Trumpian senator.

Reactions: Triumvirate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

The fact that conservative politicians don't do anything to address these issues when they are in power is also part of it. They seem to care only when the Democrats have enough votes to pass something anyway, and even then they have a history of negotiating in bad faith.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"Conservative House of Representatives Republicans plan to form an "America First" caucus to promote the policies of ex-President Donald Trump and said on Friday the group would soon release a policy platform.

The platform promotes "a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions" and advocates for infrastructure with aesthetic value that "befits the progeny of European architecture," Punchbowl News reported on Friday."

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-new...america-first-caucus-raises-hackles-over-race
Why does an agenda of "America first" have to be called racist? America is about all races. You would think doing what's best for your country is what all politicians would. What's wrong with these people?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But the GOP leadership, who are the people who need to be bought in for any immigration change, are concerned with saving the GOP. They are not going to want to increase the demographics of people who aren't reliable GOP voters.
They probably aren't going to be in favor of letting the citizens of the whole world vote in our elections, either, but that doesn't mean there's something underhanded or dishonest about them respecting the electoral system as it was before the wholesale changes and proposals for further change that were made recently.

It's the people who want to alter the system dramatically in order to benefit their own candidates who are the ones who need to answer for tampering with our system of fair and free elections.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The fact that conservative politicians don't do anything to address these issues when they are in power is also part of it. They seem to care only when the Democrats have enough votes to pass something anyway, and even then they have a history of negotiating in bad faith.

What part of that fantasy should we address first?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What part of that fantasy should we address first?
What bills have Republicans proposed or passed to address police brutality? What worker's rights bills have they introduced? When did they introduce an increase to the minimum wage?

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.