Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem preachers need to be preaching about isn't that gay people want to get married---it's that straight people don't.

This is what the defenders of marriage need to do--to promote marriage among young heterosexual couples, particularly if they have children.

It's easy to be negative and criticize and say the problem is that gay people want to get married.

Hey, maybe they'll lead the way!

We need stable, loving homes for our children, good male and female role models.

Not some negative preacher bypassing real solutions to the real problem to criticize the lifestyles of a few.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The problem preachers need to be preaching about isn't that gay people want to get married---it's that straight people don't.

This is what the defenders of marriage need to do--to promote marriage among young heterosexual couples, particularly if they have children.

It's easy to be negative and criticize and say the problem is that gay people want to get married.

Hey, maybe they'll lead the way!

We need stable, loving homes for our children, good male and female role models.

Not some negative preacher bypassing real solutions to the real problem to criticize the lifestyles of a few.

Well it isn't like young heterosexuals are sitting in the pews waiting the hear the news that marriage is the way.

Young people aren't getting married in large numbers, they are however, cohabitation.

I never dreamed I would see the day that children would attend their own parents wedding. Yet, I know two people where this is exactly what happened. They had children together, but never decided to get married, until a tax adviser convinced them that filing taxes as a married couple was a benefit.

Jim

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

It's not just the preachers. It's the culture--the tv shows--the movies--what's told kids in school.

I remember that in the 50s children were allowed to be innocent children--they were allowed to play and not be dressed up like teens. And *every* parent held authority for the child so the child needed to behave all the time. (And of course, mothers stayed home to raise their children and at least be present for them so that they didn't get into trouble.) I remember in the 60s that tv shows would very explicitly tell viewers that marriage was more than "living together" or "having a piece of paper". And of course there were certain restrictions on what was shown on TV (for instance, there was actually a time considered the "family hour" were certain things were not aired and even married couples weren't shown in the same bed together) Now little children get to watch soft inappropriate content any time they choose because that's ALL that's available besides blood and guts shows. (I think the show "All in the Family" started our decline into the sewer.) Oh and I remember the Legion of Decency pledge that was given *every* year in Mass. We all pledged not to attend certain indecent movies and to only attend age appropriate ones (and ones that had Catholic values. A list of the proper movies was posted on the Church door.

Now it's everyone for himself and we wonder why things have gone so terribly wrong. Children need guidance and it can't come in the form of a ten minute homily once in a blue moon at Mass.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You're right, Jim, young people are not sitting in the pews waiting for a homily to tell them to get married.

And so it obviously has to start way before that time. And after that time. And not only from churches--from schools, families, government.

I feel pretty certain that one reason why young mothers don't get married is that they can get WIC and food stamps and subsidies if they aren't married, and zilch if they are.

And if they are cohabitating, they're still together--but with fewer financial worries.

Maybe churches need to provide mentor couples for young couples (whether they are married or not). If they are cohabitating, the purpose of the mentor couple isn't to tell them, "You should be married." The purpose of the mentor couple is to give them communication skills, problem solving skills, etc.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I feel pretty certain that one reason why young mothers don't get married is that they can get WIC and food stamps and subsidies if they aren't married, and zilch if they are.

You sure don't get around very much. I know many married folks that get WIC, food stamps, and other subsidies. Being military almost guarantees it, but I personally know quite a few civilians on WIC, food stamps, and other subsidies too. (Even personally know some who additionally "make the rounds" getting donations and charity from different churches in their areas.)

The young don't marry because that's what they have been taught--it's not necessary. And they look at the film stars that they admire who are just cohabitating and they want to be just like them (of course they don't realize that children cost money and the movie stars have money while the young don't.) The young don't marry because the family has been systematically destroyed over the years.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Chaplains do have military rank.

Did you not read what I wrote, or did I not make myself clear?

And the criticism of the Archbishop's letter is that it suggested members of the military should take the law into their own hands. The Archbishop apologized for the reference and the military withdrew the obejction. Hardly the basis for a crusade.

The USA is not a banana republic. The army does not act outside the law.

The Archbishop agreed to allow the phrase, "We cannot—we will not—comply with this unjust law," to not be read from the pulpit. He did not apologize, the Army admitted it had made a mistake. In fact, the Military Archdiocese issued a statement saying:

Archbishop Broglio and the Archdiocese stand firm in the belief, based on legal precedent, that such a directive from the Army constituted a violation of his Constitutionally-protected right of free speech and the free exercise of religion, as well as those same rights of all military chaplains and their congregants.

Following a discussion between Archbishop Broglio and the Secretary of the Army, The Honorable John McHugh, it was agreed that it was a mistake to stop the reading of the Archbishop's letter. Additionally, the line: "We cannot-we will not-comply with this unjust law" was removed by Archbishop Broglio at the suggestion of Secretary McHugh over the concern that it could potentially be misunderstood as a call to civil disobedience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jim,

Can you give some real world examples of violation of religious conscience concerning religious liberty and marriage in the military? There have been none that I am aware of and those stokign this fire are vague about their complaints.

"Archbishop Broglio and the Archdiocese stand firm in the belief, based on legal precedent, that such a directive from the Army constituted a violation of his Constitutionally-protected right of free speech and the free exercise of religion, as well as those same rights of all military chaplains and the congregants."

A chaplain can preach as he wishes so long as he does not call for for a military putsch or other illegal rebellion. Any member of the military can have his own opinions as to what is sin and what is virtue. No chaplain can be made to perform any rite or ritual he does not wish to.

So you believe that a chaplain has the right to advise a homosexual man or woman against continuing his/her immoral relationship during a counseling session? Could that chaplain refuse to offer counsel rather than gloss over the immoral nature of the relationship?

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Don't you see a disconnect? Maybe the Archbishop spends too much time in an ivory tower. How much of an impact will it make to soldiers worried about bombs, getting shot at, being far from family, with few creature comforts, trying to fulfill their mission while keeping their sanity to get a letter from a bishop saying, "What you should REALLY be worrying about is the HHS mandate."

It wasn't just read in war zones, Fantine. Besides that, I believe his audience understands the importance of principle and protection of freedom...

It is imperative that I call to your attention an alarming and serious matter that negatively impacts the Church in the United States directly, and that strikes at the fundamental right to religious liberty for all citizens of any faith. The federal government, which claims to be “of, by, and for the people,” has just dealt a heavy blow to almost a quarter of those people—the Catholic population—and to the millions more who are served by the Catholic faithful. It is a blow to a freedom that you have fought to defend and for which you have seen your buddies fall in battle.

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
So you believe that a chaplain has the right to advise a homosexual man or woman against continuing his/her immoral relationship during a counseling session?

Yes. There has never been an indicident that indicated he or she could not

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Maybe it might work that way where you live, Fantine, but in Michigan, lots of married couples get WIC and food stamps and subsidies. It's based on income, not marital status.

When I was between jobs when my son was small, my wife and I got WIC and food stamps, and I assure you: we were married at the time.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox

Are you aware that the Navy and Air Force required chaplains to pray non-sectarian prayers at public functions, some commanders even pushed that into funerals for Christian men? There is quite a recent history regarding chaplains fighting for the right to preach within the beliefs of their faith traditions without hindrance or fear of reprisal from command. Congress got involved last time reversing the above-mentioned services' guidance forbidding public sectarian prayer, thus the reason for fear of a similar restriction with respect to homosexuality. Chaplains offer services beyond Worship on Holy Days, thus there is great concern that they will be required to offer non-sectarian counseling with respect to human sexuality, given previous precedent. I understand you probably have little reason to be aware of the underlying situation, but chaplains and commanders deserve clear guidance upon which they can act.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Maybe it might work that way where you live, Fantine, but in Michigan, lots of married couples get WIC and food stamps and subsidies. It's based on income, not marital status.

When I was between jobs when my son was small, my wife and I got WIC and food stamps, and I assure you: we were married at the time.

Bingo!

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Are you aware that the Navy and Air Force required chaplains to pray non-sectarian prayers at public functions,

Not required, but they did what was right. No chaplain was asked even mildly to alter his or her prayers at Mass or worship services or voluntary gatherings. For secular assembies of a mixed group of non-Christians and Christians, where the military authories wanted a prayer to be offered, the invitiation went to those chaplains whose conscience allowed a prayer that was not only for the Christians or Protestants. Chaplains who did not wish to do this did not receive any discipline, loss of rank or other punishment other than just selecting another chaplain for this duty.

The Catholic and Jewish chaplains had no problem offering general prayers at secular gartherings rather than offering a "Ave Maria" or a prayer of preparation for the coming of the long awaited Messiah. Only certain Protestants insisted that they be invited to offer a Protestant prayer to a mixed assembly.

There is quite a recent history regarding chaplains fighting for the right to preach within the beliefs of their faith traditions without hindrance or fear of reprisal from command.

Other than calls for the military members to rise up and take the law into their own hands, can you cite an example?

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Not required, but they did what was right. No chaplain was asked even mildly to alter his or her prayers at Mass or worship services or voluntary gatherings. For secular assembies of a mixed group of non-Christians and Christians, where the military authories wanted a prayer to be offered, the invitiation went to those chaplains whose conscience allowed a prayer that was not only for the Christians or Protestants. Chaplains who did not wish to do this did not receive any discipline, loss of rank or other punishment other than just selecting another chaplain for this duty.

Negative. Under previous guidance quoted below, excepting Mass, etc., if a chaplain offered a public prayer, it was to be non-sectarian, period. If a Catholic wanted a chaplain to pray at his promotion ceremony, it was to be a non-sectarian prayer. Thankfully, that is no longer the case.

"CONSISTENT WITH LONG-STANDING MILITARY TRADITION, A BRIEF NON-SECTARIAN PRAYER MAY BE INCLUDED IN NON-ROUTINE MILITARY CEREMONIES OR EVENTS OF SPECIAL IMPORTANCE, SUCH AS A CHANGE-OF-COMMAND, PROMOTION CEREMONIES OR SIGNIFICANT CELEBRATIONS, WHERE THE PURPOSE OF THE PRAYER IS TO ADD A HEIGHTENED SENSE OF SERIOUSNESS OR SOLEMNITY, NOT TO ADVANCE SPECIFIC RELIGIOUS BELIEFS. MILITARY CHAPLAINS ARE TRAINED TO DEAL WITH SUCH EVENTS."

The Catholic and Jewish chaplains had no problem offering general prayers at secular gartherings rather than offering a "Ave Maria" or a prayer of preparation for the coming of the long awaited Messiah. Only certain Protestants insisted that they be invited to offer a Protestant prayer to a mixed assembly.

I will be sure to tell the chaplains I have spoken with that despite the concerns they have expressed to me privately, they are not really concerned.

Other than calls for the military members to rise up and take the law into their own hands, can you cite an example?

1) I know you do not appreciate the significance of censoring Archbishop Broglio's words, but both he and the Archdiocese believe it, "constituted a violation of his Constitutionally-protected right of free speech and the free exercise of religion, as well as those same rights of all military chaplains and their congregants." The Contraception Mandate was immoral, and as Catholics we are unable to comply. Nothing in there about "taking the law into their own hands."

2) Rigdon v Perry - RIGDON v. PERRY[bless and do not curse]-[bless and do not curse]April 7, 1997.

3) Gibson v Navy - http://chaplainreform.com/PDF.0Files/GibsonvsNavy.pdf

4) Veitch v Danzig - VEITCH v. DANZIG[bless and do not curse]-[bless and do not curse]February 27, 2001.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I know that military law is different from civilian law. There are things, apparently, that a soldier could be court-martialed for that would be perfectly legal outside of the military.

I also know that publicly criticizing the Commander-in-Chief is not accepted in the military.

Gay people are not deaf, and they are intuitive. They would be unlikely to request counseling from someone whose differing beliefs and values would make them a poor counselor match.

Upvote 0

Vasallus

Feb 22, 2011
✟2,175.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I know that military law is different from civilian law. There are things, apparently, that a soldier could be court-martialed for that would be perfectly legal outside of the military.

I also know that publicly criticizing the Commander-in-Chief is not accepted in the military.

Gay people are not deaf, and they are intuitive. They would be unlikely to request counseling from someone whose differing beliefs and values would make them a poor counselor match.

So gay people are intuitive, and would be unlikely to get counseling from someone who disagreed with them. Because they're gay. Got it. Do they pick out better window treatments too?

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,584,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pelosi Calls Chaplain 'Conscience Clause' a 'Fraud'

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi blasted a Republican proposal that would protect military chaplains from performing same-sex marriages, saying the provision in unnecessary.

"Nobody is ordering them to do that," Pelosi told reporters Thursday. "I've never seen any suggestion that we're ordering chaplains to perform same-sex [marriages]. Where is that? I think that they can rest assured that if they don't believe in that, they don't have to perform those."

The issue surfaced after military chaplains expressed concern they would be ordered to marry same-sex couples against their personal beliefs and/or the beliefs of their denomination. Following President Barack Obama's announcement last week that he backs gay marriage, Republicans immediately proposed an amendment to the 2013 defense authorization bill that would protect chaplains from violating their conscience, moral principles and religious beliefs.

When asked by a reporter at her Thursday press conference if she supported the provision, Pelosi said she sided with the White House in opposing it.

Continued- http://www.christianpost.com/news/pelosi-calls-chaplain-conscience-clause-a-fraud-75190/

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So you believe that a chaplain has the right to advise a homosexual man or woman against continuing his/her immoral relationship during a counseling session? Could that chaplain refuse to offer counsel rather than gloss over the immoral nature of the relationship?

There doesn't need to be an incident. There only has to be the threat of punishment if it were done. And right now there is that threat. By the way, you never answered Wolseley when he asked you how many years you have served in the military.

Upvote 0