Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,592.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Parler was growing rapidly and exponentially...

They were on track to rival the other "big boys" in a hurry.

Sounds like something Charles Koch should invest in...if that's the case.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This isn't about decency standards...it's about political and economic bias. The excuses Amazon is publishing do not warrant a shutting down of servers to silence everyone on the platform.
So how could Amazon have gotten just the people violating decency standards and planning violence off of Parler?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Parler wasn’t following the rules and was recently used to brainwash and mobilize domestic terrorists. Amazon is choosing not to host them.
Now why, for example, leave Louis Farrakhan on twitter but kick off President Trump? Trump called for a peaceful march, Farrakan recently posted an article that said "The loss of life has to take place. Blood must flow in order for people who are enslaved to be free.

• Winner
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Now why, for example, leave Louis Farrakhan on twitter but kick off President Trump? Trump called for a peaceful march, Farrakan recently posted an article that said "The loss of life has to take place. Blood must flow in order for people who are enslaved to be free.
Does Twitter know about the article?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I dont see you making threats against people. You seem perfectly civil even if I might disagree with you. If you got tossed because of your behavior here, I think that would be very unfair.

Also, wherever half the country goes (I think its more like 20 or 25% thats interested in this extremist stuff, but whatever), almost be definition that wont be "underground".

I've been threatened with bans at Facebook before for perfectly civil behavior because my facts (taken from FBI statistics) didn't agree with the left's narrative...

I don't speak differently here than I do anywhere. I dont cuss, don't threaten, however I used to attempt polite dialogue until Facebook came after me for it... And I'm just a simple Christian housewife for goodness sakes.

The ONLY reason I keep Facebook at all now is for telemedicine appointments, which I need, and Facebook is the only video conferencing media my doctor uses.

The rest is a left wing platform that has been silencing conservatives for years. In fact, it's only the crazy extremists they haven't been bothering with because they make the right look bad.

Now they are just openly booting everyone, regardless of who they are... and it's only just begun. They'll come for your grandma next.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So how could Amazon have gotten just the people violating decency standards and planning violence off of Parler?

Issue an ultimatum: Implement a "non-violence" policy (if that's really the issue) while maintaining "free(er) speech" or we are going to cancel our contract with you in 90 days. That gives them enough time to either find another platform or bend the knee to the demand. Regardless, that didn't happen, so here we are.

If successful, this will become normalized to the point where the only place where you can speak out against any establishment that isn't inline with the new "status quo" will be in person in a public venue. Then once the next generation is fine with this "normality" then the 1st amendment can be understood to exclude hate speech laws...then it's goodbye Constitution and America; then no one can say anything the government doesn't like. We will be like the UK then, where you can be fined or jailed for simply saying something that is against the law. There is a swelling of minority support for these things already...now it can be put on steroids.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The right has a lot peaceful individuals who believe in the U.S. Constitution, that last part is really why they are being banned.

I don't disagree. I hope those same peaceful individuals will join the rest of the country in seeking the common good, which in this instance means dealing with the kind of disinformation and violent rhetoric that leads to insurection, as it did last week.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like something Charles Koch should invest in...if that's the case.
That's the good thing.
Generally speaking,
Republicans have always had money and brainpower. Those protesters in DC self funded their trips to DC... unlike the Liberal causes being funded by George Soros.

So Republicans and talk radio were open and operating when MSM television was controlled by the Liberals. Still is popular on Satellite radio stations.

Then the blogs and YouTube...then other internet platforms...

And the Liberals keep shutting them down.

The Conservatives WILL find a way to get their political speech out. They are better funded and usually smarter.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've been threatened with bans at Facebook before for perfectly civil behavior because my facts (taken from FBI statistics) didn't agree with the left's narrative...

I don't speak differently here than I do anywhere. I dont cuss, don't threaten, however I used to attempt polite dialogue until Facebook came after me for it... And I'm just a simple Christian housewife for goodness sakes.

The ONLY reason I keep Facebook at all now is for telemedicine appointments, which I need, and Facebook is the only video conferencing media my doctor uses.

The rest is a left wing platform that has been silencing conservatives for years. In fact, it's only the crazy extremists they haven't been bothering with because they make the right look bad.

Now they are just openly booting everyone, regardless of who they are... and it's only just begun.
Well then fb is going overreacting crazy if they are banning behavior you exhibit here. (And their moderation algorithms are probably overly blunt instruments too).

But that doesnt really help me get at the ethics of de-platforming people or sites that do exhibit awful behavior.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

It's also interesting to contemplate this turn of events--

For several years, the left has told us that all the leaders of foreign nations, particular those we usually consider friendly, are aghast at President Trump's America. NOW, however, they are condemning the anti-democratic moves that such as the heads of Twitter and Google and Facebook (who hold no elective offices) are allowed to get away with in their campaign against free speech!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's the good thing.
Generally speaking,
Republicans have always had money and brainpower. Those protesters in DC self funded their trips to DC... unlike the Liberal causes being funded by George Soros.

So Republicans and talk radio were open and operating when MSM television was controlled by the Liberals. Still is popular on Satellite radio stations.

Then the blogs and YouTube...then other internet platforms...

And the Liberals keep shutting them down.

The Conservatives WILL find a way to get their political speech out. They are better funded and usually smarter.
Oh man the brainpower on display at the Capitol the other day. Im in awe.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Those protesters in DC self funded their trips to DC...
That's not exactly true, sorry.
IMG_2182.JPG

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But that doesnt really help me get at the ethics of de-platforming people or sites that do exhibit awful behavior.

Why deplatform anyone...? I can't stand Alex Jones but I see no need to silence him as if we live in some totalitarian state... the principles of free speech, most especially political speech, is one of the bedrocks of our nation.

I'd rather people have a voice, and if they commit some crime let the law deal with it...

I don't fear free speech, I fear its absence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't disagree. I hope those same peaceful individuals will join the rest of the country in seeking the common good, which in this instance means dealing with the kind of disinformation and violent rhetoric that leads to insurection, as it did last week.
The FBI and the NYPD warned the Capitol Police, it was set up in advance long before Trump spoke so Trump did not incite them. Now Trump told people to go over there peacefully and patriotically, had the FBI and the NYPD told Trump he could have asked the people to watch and report or stop any criminal behavior.

• Agree
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why deplatform anyone...? I can't stand Alex Jones but I see no need to silence him as if we live in some totalitarian state... the principles of free speech, most especially political speech, is one of the bedrocks of our nation.

I'd rather people have a voice, and if they commit some crime let the law deal with it...

I don't fear free speech, I fear its absence.
The principle of a free speech is NOT about requiring private entities to host anything you or I might want to spout.

Do you know that CF, right here, has all kinds of anti free speech standards? (Believe me, I know). Is CF totalitarian? No...of course not. CF gets to be its own thing with its own standards of speech-conduct. Now if the govt imposed those standards by force, that would be an entirely different matter.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not exactly true, sorry.View attachment 293261

Parking in DC is exorbitantly expensive. Worse than NY. No one gets downtown to the Mall without one. Buses are very helpful...

Remember the truck drivers bringing their tractor trailers to DC in protest?

Just saying.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Do you know that CF, right here, has all kinds of anti free speech standards? (Believe me, I know). Is CF totalitarian? No...of course not. CF gets to be its own thing with its own standard of speech-conduct. Now if the govt imposed those standards by force, that would be an entirely different matter.
That's the crazy thing, when you think about it. People complaining about Parler's speech being blocked, while in a forum that wouldn't even let you post pictures of most Parler posts without banning you.

Upvote 0