AMAZING FUN FACTS ON GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT AND SUNDAY WORSHIP!

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟344,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sda is just a Name ( church name) But the people who formed it, are still the same people who made wrong prophetic prediction of Christ second coming before they formed the church ( sda church) later...

Commandments are written about Christ...Now is about getting His Spirit to live in us...simple!
And those commandments which are His Laws, His word, through His Spirit are now written in the heart and mind.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Rom 10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:
Rom 10:7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
Rom 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟344,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry dear friend all your doing here is repeating yourself without addressing the problems already brought up in regards to your interpretations earlier. This post has already been addressed in detail through the scriptures many times already. Your mistake here as has already been shown in contest that defines "MY REST" to not being the gospel but God's rest at the foundation of the world where God blessed and made holy the "seventh day" of creation as spoken in Genesis 2:1-3. The topic of conversation is that no one enters into the "seventh day" Sabbath rest if they do not believe the gospel. This is the warning given in Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4. There is not one scripture that you have provided in your post that I have already responded to here and elsewhere that shows biblically that "GOD'S REST - MY REST" is the gospel the "MY REST" (God's rest) is what is entered into by believing the gospel. Can you see the difference? These are Gods' Word not mine as shown in Hebrews 4:1-5 which links directly to Genesis 2:1-3.

There is also no reference to Mt Sinai at all in any of Hebrews 3 or Hebrews 4. Hebrews 4:3-5 specifically says [3], For we which have believed do enter into rest (GOD'S REST; HIS REST v1), as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into MY REST (GOD'S REST): ALTHOUGH THE WORKS WERE FINISHED FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.[4], FOR HE SPOKE IN A CERTAIN PLACE (GENSIS 2:1-3) OF THE SEVENTH DAY ON THIS WISE, AND GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS. [5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into MY REST (GOD'S REST being the seventh day Sabbath of creation v3-5).

The context of "MY REST" (GOD'S REST) is provided in Hebrews 4:1-5 and the rest being spoken of is "God's REST" defined at creation in v3-5 as the "seventh day Sabbath". The rest here being spoken of however directly links to the Gospel as those who do not believe the gospel do not enter in to God's rest (the seventh day Sabbath) and those who do believe enter in. We enter into God's seventh day Sabbath rest (Sabbath) by believing the gospel.....

NOTE: CONTEXT is God's REST from the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST OF CREATION (v4-5) and those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW GOD's WORD [the GOSPEL] enter into God's SABBATH REST as GOD did on the SEVENTH DAY of the week and those who did not enter into God’s rest (Sabbath) did not do so because they did not believe and follow God’s Word (the gospel). The CONTEXT is GOD's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST and those who believe or do not believe God's WORD (the Gospel that was preached unto them as well as unto us, with those of us entering into God’s Sabbath rest!

The reference in v3-5 is to "God's REST" in creation from the foundation of the world at at the finish of creation and God's rest on the SEVENTH DAY. This is a reference to GENESIS 2:1-3 not Mt Sinai as your claiming in your post here.

GENESIS 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [2], And ON THE SEVENTH DAY God ended his work which he had made; and HE RESTED (GOD'S REST) [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; KEEP SABBATH] on the SEVENTH DAY from all his work which he had made. [3], And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY AND MADE IT HOLY: BECAUSE THAT IN IT HE HAD RESTED (GOD'S REST) [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] from all his work which God created and made.

Continuing to v9

HEBREWS 4:9 THEREFORE IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH

Who do you think blessed and made Holy the "seventh day" of creation and how did he do it? *GENESIS 2:1-3. Hebrews 4:3-5 is a reference to the foundation of the world and the seventh day Sabbath rest. Not to Mt Sinai like you are claiming. Your reading into the scriptures what the scriptures do not say or teach.

I believe your interpretation is back the front and not following grammer structure, if we follow exactly what the scriptures teach. They are teaching that no one enters into Gods rest defined as the "seventh day Sabbath from creation (foundation of the world)" if they do not believe and follow the gospel.

Sorry dear friend we will have to agree to disagree. Also, my apologies if you have read my posts with bad intentions or in a negative way as it was not my purpose or intention. I am only trying to be honest in regards to sharing the scriptures so pray you might forgive me if my posts ever come across in a negative way as they are only sent in love and as a help.

God bless.
Good morning friend. I pray you had a restful Sabbath.
I never heard any SDA commentator say what you are sharing. You are pulling things out of context. The context for the Rest mentioned in Chapter four starts in chapter 3. There is no way around that.

Let's look again please.

The Rest in verse 3 is the same rest that is mention in verse 1 that is called "His rest" which would be God's.

But that does not tell us what the Rest is other than it is God's. Correct?

So let's move our study to the previous chapter to see if we can determine what exactly this rest is; shall we? We will start in verse 16.

Heb 3:16 For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
Heb 3:17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
Heb 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

It is safe to say by the above text in chapter 3 since the Israel that came out of Egypt was denied the promise of entering into the promise land due to unbelief that the Rest which is God's is the Rest which would have been experienced when Israel entered into the promised land.

But how does that relate to us?

Let's go back a couple verses and we will see.

Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Heb 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

The Rest which Israel was denied is being said in relation to us partaking of Christ. So if we put it all together. The Rest inwhich we who have believed enter into in verse 4:3 of Hebrews is the partaking of Christ.

That being a fact through the surrounding context is probably why the translators of the KJV translated verse two in chapter four thusly.

Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

So the Gospel or good news preached or proclaim is the "His Rest" in verse 1 and the "that rest" in verse 3. And this Rest which is the partaking of Christ which was preached to us was also preached to them. Them being the Israel that left Egypt but it did not profit them because they had not the faith when they heard it. They were in unbelief, hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

This leads us to verse 3. Shall we continue? There is a lot here that needs shared.

• Optimistic
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello HIM, nice to see you. Some more comments for your consideration below.
Good morning friend. I pray you had a restful Sabbath. I never heard any SDA commentator say what you are sharing. You are pulling things out of context. The context for the Rest mentioned in Chapter four starts in chapter 3. There is no way around that. Let's look again please. The Rest in verse 3 is the same rest that is mention in verse 1 that is called "His rest" which would be God's. But that does not tell us what the Rest is other than it is God's. Correct?So let's move our study to the previous chapter to see if we can determine what exactly this rest is; shall we? We will start in verse 16.
Heb 3:16 For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
Heb 3:17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
Heb 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

It is safe to say by the above text in chapter 3 since the Israel that came out of Egypt was denied the promise of entering into the promise land due to unbelief that the Rest which is God's is the Rest which would have been experienced when Israel entered into the promised land.

But how does that relate to us?

Let's go back a couple verses and we will see.

Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Heb 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

The Rest which Israel was denied is being said in relation to us partaking of Christ. So if we put it all together. The Rest inwhich we who have believed enter into in verse 4:3 of Hebrews is the partaking of Christ.

That being a fact through the surrounding context is probably why the translators of the KJV translated verse two in chapter four thusly.

Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

So the Gospel or good news preached or proclaim is the "His Rest" in verse 1 and the "that rest" in verse 3. And this Rest which is the partaking of Christ which was preached to us was also preached to them. Them being the Israel that left Egypt but it did not profit them because they had not the faith when they heard it. They were in unbelief, hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

This leads us to verse 3. Shall we continue? There is a lot here that needs shared.

Not really dear friend but let me explain why. Let's talk detail and specifics please. I have only provided the context that you left out which defines what "HIS REST" or "GOD'S REST" is from Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 which can be found in HEBREWS 4:1-5 which of course is further context to Hebrews 4:9.

God's Word (not mine) defines "GOD'S REST" or "HIS REST" [v1] as the "SEVENTH DAY" [v4] from the "FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD" [v3] or creation, which is the "SEVENTH DAY SABBATH" that "GOD RESTED" [v3-4] on and that "GOD BLESSED" and made a "HOLY DAY" of "REST" for all mankind (Genesis 2:1-3; Mark 2:27). None enter into God's rest if they continue in sin, and unbelief as shown in Hebrews 3:13; 17-19.

It is true that "GOD'S REST" is mentioned in Hebrews 3:11 and Hebrews 3:18. The context here is that God's people did not enter into GOD'S REST" because of their sins [3:13; 17], unbelief [3:19] and ignorance [3:10] of his Word (the Gospel) *Hebrews 4:2 but "HIS REST" or GOD'S REST" is not defined until HEBREWS 4:1-5.

"GOD'S REST" is defined here as the "SEVENTH DAY" from the FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD *Hebrews 4:3-4. Then we see from v6-8 that we which believe and follow God's Word (the Gospel - Hebrews 4:1-2; Hebrews 3:19) do enter into God's rest (the seventh day Sabbath).

As shown above "HIS REST" or "GOD'S REST" is defined in God's Word (not mine) in Hebrews 4:1-5 as the "SEVENTH DAY" Sabbath from the foundation of the world v3-4 concluding in Hebrews 4:9...

Hebrews 4:9 SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

Sorry dear friend as proven above the context defines "HIS REST" as the "SEVENTH DAY SABBATH OF CREATION" and the people of God are to continue keeping it as they enter into His REST by believing and following his Word (the Gospel).

We cannot find God through his Word if we seek him through commentators when His purpose is to be our guide and teacher through his Spirit.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not so fast there LGW. Israel never entered into the Rest God had for them now did they. They observed the Seventh day Sabbath of the fourth commandment of the ten commandments, but that was not the Rest God had for them to enter in. That Rest is still there waiting for all to accept. Today is Monday and I can accept His rest for me today. Today, Monday I am invited to enter that Rest.

Thank you Lord for I was weary of trying to observe the Seventh day Sabbath rest and no wonder because the Rest you have for me is in You today, not one day a week.

I am well aware of Jesus love for mankind. He certainly does have rest, today He gives us Sabbath, a time of rest, as a free gift just as He has given each of us the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. In 2Cor 3:6-11 Paul was instructed to write that the Holy Spirit replaced the ten commandments as the guide for your people. The guidance of the ten commandments couldn't hold a candle stick to the guidance of God.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Not so fast there LGW. Israel never entered into the Rest God had for them now did they. They observed the Seventh day Sabbath of the fourth commandment of the ten commandments, but that was not the Rest God had for them to enter in. That Rest is still there waiting for all to accept. Today is Monday and I can accept His rest for me today. Today, Monday I am invited to enter that Rest.

Thank you Lord for I was weary of trying to observe the Seventh day Sabbath rest and no wonder because the Rest you have for me is in You today, not one day a week.

I am well aware of Jesus love for mankind. He certainly does have rest, today He gives us Sabbath, a time of rest, as a free gift just as He has given each of us the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. In 2Cor 3:6-11 Paul was instructed to write that the Holy Spirit replaced the ten commandments as the guide for your people. The guidance of the ten commandments couldn't hold a candle stick to the guidance of God.
The Holy Spirit will never go against God. God is unchanging and God's commandments are eternal. Does God want us to lie, cheat, vain His name, or break His Holy Sabbath?

John 14
15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

The guidance of God is His law! He wrote them with His own hand.
Exodus 31:18 And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

1 John 5
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

Jesus said He did not come to destroy the law:

Mathew 5:
17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

God Bless

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guevaraj
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Not going very fast Bob and the scriptures are not hard to understand. The scriptures do not say that none of ISRAEL entered into Gods Sabbath rest. It says that those who did not believe Gods' Word and continued in sin did not enter into His Rest (Sabbath rest). "HIS REST" of "GOD'S REST" is defined in Hebrews 4:3-4 as the "SEVENTH DAY" finished from the foundation of the world (creation). The WARNING of Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is that if we do not believe and follow God's Word and forsake sin then we will not enter into God's Sabbath rest *Hebrews 3:13; 17; 19; Hebrews 4:1. Sin is defined in God's Word as not believing God's Word *Romans 14:23 or breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments *James 2:10-11 and will keep all those who knowingly practice it out of God's Kingdom *Hebrews 10:26-31. There is only one bible definition of the Sabbath and that is the "seventh day" of the week that God blessed and made a holy day for all mankind *Exodus 20:10; Genesis 2:1-3; Mark 2:27 and is one of God's 10 commandments *Exodus 20:8-11 that gives us the knowledge of what sin is when broken *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not going very fast Bob and the scriptures are not hard to understand. The scriptures do not say that none of ISRAEL entered into Gods Sabbath rest. It says that those who did not believe Gods' Word and continued in sin did not enter into His Rest (Sabbath rest).
Not true LGW, Who gave you the right to even try to paraphrase the Word of God? Your discorting scripture is only hurting you and those who do not critique what you write.
Heb 3:16 Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt?
Heb 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
Who was it that first heard the preaching LGW? Read it in red above. Preached to them at the foot of Mt Sinai. They didn't believe, but they kept the Seventh day Sabbath didn't they. Had they not surely they would have been stoned which was the Law and by the way for all of you that believe you have to live under the Sabbath laws of the old covenant and break that Sabbath law still should be stoned, right?

"HIS REST" of "GOD'S REST" is defined in Hebrews 4:3-4 as the "SEVENTH DAY" finished from the foundation of the world (creation). The WARNING of Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is that if we do not believe and follow God's Word and forsake sin then we will not enter into God's Sabbath rest *Hebrews 3:13; 17; 19; Hebrews 4:1.

Heb 3:7-8 And since Christ is so much superior, (than Moses verse 5) the Holy Spirit warns us to listen to him, to be careful to hear his voice today and not let our hearts become set against him, as the people of Israel did. They steeled themselves against his love and complained against him in the desert while he was testing them. 9 But God was patient with them forty years, though they tried his patience sorely; he kept right on doing his mighty miracles for them to see. 10 “But,” God says, “I was very angry with them, for their hearts were always looking somewhere else instead of up to me, and they never found the paths I wanted them to follow.

11 Then God, full of this anger against them, bound himself with an oath that he would never let them come to his place of rest.

Again, you skew the real meaning of what the writer wrote. They kept the Sabbath God gave them at Sinai. God wouldn't even allow them to enter into His place of Rest, verse 11 of Chapter 3.
Ps 95
Today, if only you would hear his voice,
8 “Do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah,
as you did that day at Massah in the wilderness,
9 where your ancestors tested me;
they tried me, though they had seen what I did.
10 For forty years I was angry with that generation;
I said, ‘They are a people whose hearts go astray,
and they have not known my ways.’
11 So I declared on oath in my anger,
‘They shall never enter my rest.’”

So you see LGW God's Rest is not the Sabbath because if it were God wouldn't have been angry. They were abiding by the rules of the covenant laws concerning the Sabbath requirements. At least they were not being stoned for not keeping it. Israel fell away not because of the Sabbath, they fell away because of unbelief. God's Rest is abiding in Him, Jesus Christ. It doesn't have anything to do with a certain day or what day. Today we hear God's voice and can enter into His Rest.

Israel had not entered God's rest during Joshua's reign and David petioned Israel to enter God's Rest. Was it any better after David? The concept of believing is never associated with keeping the old covenant Sabbath. Keeping the Sabbath rest was physical by not doing any work, not carrying a load, not building a fire, not going out of ones place, not buying or selling and no cooking. It also was a day to remember creation and their flight out of Egypt. All those things were good for them but not the Rest God wanted them to observe. He wanted them to believe. Jesus said believe in Me and I will give you rest. That rest my friend is twenty four hours every day of our lives. Amen!

I am so sorry that you feel you have to skew scripture to try to convince us that what you teach is Biblical.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit will never go against God. God is unchanging and God's commandments are eternal. Does God want us to lie, cheat, vain His name, or break His Holy Sabbath?
First of all I denounce your telling us God is unchanging. Have you not read the following:
Ex 32:7 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.’

9 “I have seen these people,” the Lord said to Moses, “and they are a stiff-necked people. 10 Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation.”

11 But Moses sought the favor of the Lord his God. “Lord,” he said, “why should your anger burn against your people, whom you brought out of Egypt with great power and a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians say, ‘It was with evil intent that he brought them out, to kill them in the mountains and to wipe them off the face of the earth’? Turn from your fierce anger; relent and do not bring disaster on your people. 13 Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, to whom you swore by your own self: ‘I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and I will give your descendants all this land I promised them, and it will be their inheritance forever.’” 14 Then the Lord relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.

Secondly, God gave Israel over 600 commands according the Jewish scholars. By your own admission You don't observe most of them, so either you don't believe they are eternal or ;you believe it is okay to pick and choose the ones someone has told you are forever. If you think they are forever then you have missed Ex 19:5-6 whare God told Moses the covenant He was making for Israel was an "IF" covenant. If meaning that if the didn't keep the covenant it would become void. That is exactly what happened. The covenant became void with the ushering in of the new covenant, the one that is not like the old one, the one with better promises. Jesus covenant to mankind doesn't mention a bunch of rituals that Israel was under. We are free in Christ to assemble when we choose Heb 10: 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

John 14
15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever
Then Jesus goes on in chapter 15 to tell us what His commandments are: 9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

The guidance of God is His law! He wrote them with His own hand.
Exodus 31:18 And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.
Some with His finger and some with His mouth. Is His finger greater that His mouth?

1 John 5
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.
and John doesn't let us hanging as to what he meant by His commandments for He tells us in 1Jn 3: 19-24 just what those commandment are: 19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

Jesus said He did not come to destroy the law:

Mathew 5:
17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Jesus didn't have to destroy the law. The Israelites had already destroyed the covenant that contained the Law. Jesus came to give all mankind a new and better covenant not like the old one. Jesus came and fulfilled all that the Father had for Him to fulfill and Jesus is sitting at the right hand of the Father in the most Holy Place having fulfilled the law and the prophets. Fulfill in this instance means to bring to an end. He brought the prophecies to an end and in the same sentence is the Law. It was not His intention to destroy the prophets and the covenant with its 300 plus laws had already been destroyed, so the meaning of the thought was bringing to a final end to the first covenant. Please study for yourself those verses and don't allow others to convince you that we are still under those laws. Remember it says if you break the least of the 300 plus commands ....That law stood until Calvary when the new covenant was ratified with Jesus own blood. Jesus was under the law and teaching those Jews that were under it too.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus didn't have to destroy the law. The Israelites had already destroyed the covenant that contained the Law. Jesus came to give all mankind a new and better covenant not like the old one. Jesus came and fulfilled all that the Father had for Him to fulfill and Jesus is sitting at the right hand of the Father in the most Holy Place having fulfilled the law and the prophets. Fulfill in this instance means to bring to an end. He brought the prophecies to an end and in the same sentence is the Law. It was not His intention to destroy the prophets and the covenant with its 300 plus laws had already been destroyed, so the meaning of the thought was bringing to a final end to the first covenant. Please study for yourself those verses and don't allow others to convince you that we are still under those laws. Remember it says if you break the least of the 300 plus commands ....That law stood until Calvary when the new covenant was ratified with Jesus own blood. Jesus was under the law and teaching those Jews that were under it too.

Due to time I only can respond to this right now:

Jesus clearly said this

Mathew 5:

You think Jesus contradicted Himself? I did not come to destroy the law, but I came to destroy the law. That makes zero sense. And if you read on He clearly gives us an example to NOT break the commandments, so the laws are not fulfilled otherwise He would have not in the next sentence tell us to NOT break the commandments, nor to teach others to do so.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Not true LGW, Who gave you the right to even try to paraphrase the Word of God? Your discorting scripture is only hurting you and those who do not critique what you write. Heb 3:16 Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? Heb 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: Who was it that first heard the preaching LGW? Read it in red above. Preached to them at the foot of Mt Sinai. They didn't believe, but they kept the Seventh day Sabbath didn't they. Had they not surely they would have been stoned which was the Law and by the way for all of you that believe you have to live under the Sabbath laws of the old covenant and break that Sabbath law still should be stoned, right?
Sorry Bob, I believe God's Word disagrees with you, but let me help and explain why. Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is a WARNING given to God's people in the present tense showing that those who did not enter into God's rest did not enter in because of their "unbelief (disobedience)" and unrepentant sin *Hebrews 3:13; 17; 19; Hebrews 4:1. So there is no misunderstanding, my application here is to God's ISRAEL in the new covenant which is defined in the scriptures as all those who believe and follow God's Word and who Paul is referring to in Hebrews 4:1-3. I am not talking about physical ISRAEL in the wilderness that did not believe and follow Gods' Word.

The scriptures you provided show those of physical ISRAEL not entering into God's rest because of their disobedience and unbelief in Gods' Word.

Hebrews 3:16 [16], FOR SOME, when they had heard, did provoke: HOWEVER NOT ALL that came out of Egypt by Moses. [17], But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcasses fell in the wilderness? [18], And to whom SWORE HE THAT THEY SHOULD NOT ENTER INTO HIS REST, BUT TO THEM THAT BELIEVED NOT? [19], SO WE SEE THAT THEY (those who believed not) COULD NOT ENTER IN BECAUSE OF THEIR UNBELIEF.

NOTE: the context and reference here is that those who do not believe and follow Gods' Word do not enter into God's rest. It does not say those who believe do not enter into God's rest.

Hebrews 4:6 [6], Seeing therefore it remains that SOME MUST ENTER THEREIN, and they to whom it was first preached ENTERED NOT IN BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF (also means disobedience).

NOTE: it says SOME must enter therein —The denial of entrance here is to unbelievers but is a virtual promise of entrance to those that believe and follow God's Word and this is the promise.

This links to Hebrews 4:2-3 which is the context that says [2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. [3], FOR WE WHICH HAVE BELIEVED DO ENTER INTO REST... (new covenant application).

The scriptures do not say anywhere (according to your interpretation) that everyone who believes and obeys Gods' Word does not enter into Gods' rest because in the new covenant this is the very definition of who God's true ISRAEL is. God's ISRAEL in the new covenant according to the new covenant scriptures are all those who believe and follow God's Word. God's true Israel is not physical Israel that did not enter into God's rest because of their unbelief and disobedience *Hebrews 3:13; 17; 19; Hebrews 4:1.

God's new covenant ISRAEL is defined in the scriptures as all those who believe and follow Gods' Word (the Gospel) *Romans 9:6-8; Galatians 3:28-29; Romans 2:28-29. Those who enter into God's rest are those according to the promise believe and follow God's Word which is what Paul is referring to in Hebrews 4:1-3 [1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.[2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. [3], FOR WE WHICH BELIEVED DO ENTER INTO REST...

As posted earlier and shown already through the scriptures, HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4 is a WARNING Bob of not entering into God's Sabbath rest if we continue in unbelief and sin, or do not believe and follow Gods' Word (the Gospel). The WARNING of Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is that if we do not believe and follow God's Word and do not forsake sin (breaking God's commandments) then we will not enter into God's Sabbath rest or His Kingdom.
Heb 3:7-8 And since Christ is so much superior, (than Moses verse 5) the Holy Spirit warns us to listen to him, to be careful to hear his voice today and not let our hearts become set against him, as the people of Israel did. They steeled themselves against his love and complained against him in the desert while he was testing them. 9 But God was patient with them forty years, though they tried his patience sorely; he kept right on doing his mighty miracles for them to see. 10 “But,” God says, “I was very angry with them, for their hearts were always looking somewhere else instead of up to me, and they never found the paths I wanted them to follow.”

11 Then God, full of this anger against them, bound himself with an oath that he would never let them come to his place of rest.

Again, you skew the real meaning of what the writer wrote. They kept the Sabbath God gave them at Sinai. God wouldn't even allow them to enter into His place of Rest, verse 11 of Chapter 3.
Ps 95
Today, if only you would hear his voice,
8 “Do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah,
as you did that day at Massah in the wilderness,
9 where your ancestors tested me;
they tried me, though they had seen what I did.
10 For forty years I was angry with that generation;
I said, ‘They are a people whose hearts go astray,
and they have not known my ways.’
11 So I declared on oath in my anger,
‘They shall never enter my rest.’”

So you see LGW God's Rest is not the Sabbath because if it were God wouldn't have been angry. They were abiding by the rules of the covenant laws concerning the Sabbath requirements. At least they were not being stoned for not keeping it. Israel fell away not because of the Sabbath, they fell away because of unbelief. God's Rest is abiding in Him, Jesus Christ. It doesn't have anything to do with a certain day or what day. Today we hear God's voice and can enter into His Rest.

Well that is not true Bob, but let me show why I believe this from the scriptures. Your claim here is that "GOD'S REST" is not the seventh day Sabbath and to try and support your claim that "GOD'S REST" is not the "seventh day Sabbath" you quote Hebrews 3:7-11. Here have a look again and I will add some more of the context...

Hebrews 3:7-19
[7], Why as the Holy Ghost said, To day if you will hear his voice,
[8], Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
[9], When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
[10], Why I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do always err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
[11], So I swore in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.
[12], Take heed, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
[13], But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
[14], For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end;
[15], While it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
[16], For some, when they had heard, did provoke: however, not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
[17], But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcasses fell in the wilderness?
[18], And to whom swore he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
[19], So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

NOTE: NONE of the scriptures here state anywhere that "GOD'S REST" or "HIS REST" is not the "seventh day Sabbath"! Which scripture provided above Bob defines what GOD'S REST is? - None. So what have you provided to support your claim that God's rest is not the Sabbath in Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4? - Nothing.

Let's look at the scriptures in Hebrews 4 that specifically defines what "GOD'S REST" is Bob so there is no confusion here....

GOD'S REST AS DEFINED BY GOD'S WORD (not mine)

HEBREWS 4:1-11
[1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into HIS REST, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
[3], For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into MY REST: ALTHOUGH THE WORKS WERE FINISHED FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.
[4], FOR HE SPOKE IN A CERTAIN PLACE (GENSIS 2:1-3) OF THE SEVENTH DAY ON THIS WISE, AND GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY (note God's rest) FROM ALL HIS WORKS.
[5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into MY REST.

NOTE
: CONTEXT is "GOD'S REST" from the "SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST OF CREATION" (v4-5) and those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW GOD's WORD enter into God's SABBATH REST as GOD did on the SEVENTH DAY of the week. CONTEXT is GOD's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST and those who BELIEVE AND FOLLOW GOD'S WORD enter into that rest which God's WORD defines as the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH which is GOD'S REST! Let's continue...

6], Seeing therefore it remains that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
[7], Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
[8], For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
[9], SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

Hebrews 4, verse 9: “There remains therefore a SABBATH rest to the people of God.” In verses 1, 3, 4 and 8, the Greek word for “rest” is katapausin. It means “rest.” But in verse 9, the Greek word for “rest” is sabbatismos, which is a Hebrew word—Sabbat, which means “the Sabbath”—combined with a Greek suffix—ismos, which means “a keeping of” or “a doing of.” Put together, sabbatismo means “a keeping of the Sabbath.” When correctly translated, Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remains therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God.”

[10], For he that is entered into HIS REST (v1-9 God's SABBATH REST), he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
[11], LET US LABOR THEREFORE TO ENTER INTO THAT REST (God's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST), lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief (HEBREWS 3).

CONCLUSION
: HEBREWS 4 defines "GOD'S REST" as the "SEVENTH DAY SABBATH". Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is talking about the Gospel rest of BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's WORD. This agrees with Hebrews 4:2. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. HEBREWS 4:1-11 is in reference to GOD'S REST which as shown in the scriptures above defines "GOD'S REST" as the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH which is the CONTEXT shown in HEBREWS 4:1-5. HEBREWS 4 therefore with context added is saying that no one enter God's Sabbath rest if they do not BELIEVE AND FOLLOW God's WORD.

Your welcome :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Due to time I only can respond to this right now:

Jesus clearly said this

Mathew 5:

You think Jesus contradicted Himself? I did not come to destroy the law, but I came to destroy the law. That makes zero sense. And if you read on He clearly gives us an example to NOT break the commandments, so the laws are not fulfilled otherwise He would have not in the next sentence tell us to NOT break the commandments, nor to teach others to do so.

God Bless.
I am sorry if you are having a problem comprehending my posts. I never wrote Jesus contradicted Himself. I wrote "Jesus didn't have to destroy the law. The Israelites had already destroyed the covenant that contained the Law." Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the Law, something no Israelite ever was able to accomplish and the law would remain until Jesus death on the Cross✝. At His death He fulfilled ,brought to an end, the old and ushered in the new covenant ratifying it with His own blood. His covenant to us is the everlasting covenant not just for Israel but for all mankind.

Re read the post you are now denying. Your accusations are false.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry Bob, I believe God's Word disagrees with you, but let me help and explain why. Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is a WARNING given to God's people in the present tense showing that those who did not enter into God's rest did not enter in because of their "unbelief (disobedience)" and unrepentant sin *Hebrews 3:13; 17; 19; Hebrews 4:1. So there is no misunderstanding, my application here is to God's ISRAEL in the new covenant which is defined in the scriptures as all those who believe and follow God's Word and who Paul is referring to in Hebrews 4:1-3. I am not talking about physical ISRAEL in the wilderness that did not believe and follow Gods' Word.

The scriptures you provided show those of physical ISRAEL not entering into God's rest because of their disobedience and unbelief in Gods' Word.

Hebrews 3:16 [16], FOR SOME, when they had heard, did provoke: HOWEVER NOT ALL that came out of Egypt by Moses. [17], But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcasses fell in the wilderness? [18], And to whom SWORE HE THAT THEY SHOULD NOT ENTER INTO HIS REST, BUT TO THEM THAT BELIEVED NOT? [19], SO WE SEE THAT THEY (those who believed not) COULD NOT ENTER IN BECAUSE OF THEIR UNBELIEF.

NOTE: the context and reference here is that those who do not believe and follow Gods' Word do not enter into God's rest. It does not say those who believe do not enter into God's rest.

Hebrews 4:6 [6], Seeing therefore it remains that SOME MUST ENTER THEREIN, and they to whom it was first preached ENTERED NOT IN BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF (also means disobedience).

NOTE: it says SOME must enter therein —The denial of entrance here is to unbelievers but is a virtual promise of entrance to those that believe and follow God's Word and this is the promise.

This links to Hebrews 4:2-3 which is the context that says [2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. [3], FOR WE WHICH HAVE BELIEVED DO ENTER INTO REST... (new covenant application).

The scriptures do not say anywhere (according to your interpretation) that everyone who believes and obeys Gods' Word does not enter into Gods' rest because in the new covenant this is the very definition of who God's true ISRAEL is. God's ISRAEL in the new covenant according to the new covenant scriptures are all those who believe and follow God's Word. God's true Israel is not physical Israel that did not enter into God's rest because of their unbelief and disobedience *Hebrews 3:13; 17; 19; Hebrews 4:1.

God's new covenant ISRAEL is defined in the scriptures as all those who believe and follow Gods' Word (the Gospel) *Romans 9:6-8; Galatians 3:28-29; Romans 2:28-29. Those who enter into God's rest are those according to the promise believe and follow God's Word which is what Paul is referring to in Hebrews 4:1-3 [1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.[2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. [3], FOR WE WHICH BELIEVED DO ENTER INTO REST...

As posted earlier and shown already through the scriptures, HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4 is a WARNING Bob of not entering into God's Sabbath rest if we continue in unbelief and sin, or do not believe and follow Gods' Word (the Gospel). The WARNING of Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is that if we do not believe and follow God's Word and do not forsake sin (breaking God's commandments) then we will not enter into God's Sabbath rest or His Kingdom.

Well that is not true Bob, but let me show why I believe this from the scriptures. Your claim here is that "GOD'S REST" is not the seventh day Sabbath and to try and support your claim that "GOD'S REST" is not the "seventh day Sabbath" you quote Hebrews 3:7-11. Here have a look again and I will add some more of the context...

Hebrews 3:7-19
[7], Why as the Holy Ghost said, To day if you will hear his voice,
[8], Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
[9], When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
[10], Why I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do always err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
[11], So I swore in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.
[12], Take heed, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
[13], But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
[14], For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end;
[15], While it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
[16], For some, when they had heard, did provoke: however, not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
[17], But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcasses fell in the wilderness?
[18], And to whom swore he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
[19], So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

NOTE: NONE of the scriptures here state anywhere that "GOD'S REST" or "HIS REST" is not the "seventh day Sabbath"! Which scripture provided above Bob defines what GOD'S REST is? - None. So what have you provided to support your claim that God's rest is not the Sabbath in Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4? - Nothing.

Let's look at the scriptures in Hebrews 4 that specifically defines what "GOD'S REST" is Bob so there is no confusion here....

GOD'S REST AS DEFINED BY GOD'S WORD (not mine)

HEBREWS 4:1-11
[1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into HIS REST, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2], For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
[3], For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into MY REST: ALTHOUGH THE WORKS WERE FINISHED FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.
[4], FOR HE SPOKE IN A CERTAIN PLACE (GENSIS 2:1-3) OF THE SEVENTH DAY ON THIS WISE, AND GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY (note God's rest) FROM ALL HIS WORKS.
[5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into MY REST.

NOTE
: CONTEXT is "GOD'S REST" from the "SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST OF CREATION" (v4-5) and those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW GOD's WORD enter into God's SABBATH REST as GOD did on the SEVENTH DAY of the week. CONTEXT is GOD's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST and those who BELIEVE AND FOLLOW GOD'S WORD enter into that rest which God's WORD defines as the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH which is GOD'S REST! Let's continue...

6], Seeing therefore it remains that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
[7], Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
[8], For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
[9], SO THEN IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

Hebrews 4, verse 9: “There remains therefore a SABBATH rest to the people of God.” In verses 1, 3, 4 and 8, the Greek word for “rest” is katapausin. It means “rest.” But in verse 9, the Greek word for “rest” is sabbatismos, which is a Hebrew word—Sabbat, which means “the Sabbath”—combined with a Greek suffix—ismos, which means “a keeping of” or “a doing of.” Put together, sabbatismo means “a keeping of the Sabbath.” When correctly translated, Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remains therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God.”

[10], For he that is entered into HIS REST (v9 God's SABBATH REST), he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
[11], LET US LABOR THEREFORE TO ENTER INTO THAT REST (God's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST), lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief (HEBREWS 3).

CONCLUSION
: HEBREWS 4 defines "GOD'S REST" as the "SEVENTH DAY SABBATH". Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is talking about the Gospel rest of BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's WORD. This agrees with Hebrews 4:2. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. HEBREWS 4:1-11 is in reference to GOD'S REST which as shown in the scriptures above defines "GOD'S REST" as the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH which is the CONTEXT shown in HEBREWS 4:1-5. HEBREWS 4 therefore with context added is saying that no one enter God's Sabbath rest if they do not BELIEVE AND FOLLOW God's WORD.

Your welcome :)
Sorry LGW, I am tired of mopping up your false claims that what I write is not true. What is true is that you take scripture and try to paraphrase it to make it seem you are telling its real meaning. I am sorry that you have to do such things to make your beliefs seem kosher.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry if you are having a problem comprehending my posts. I never wrote Jesus contradicted Himself. I wrote "Jesus didn't have to destroy the law. The Israelites had already destroyed the covenant that contained the Law." Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the Law, something no Israelite ever was able to accomplish and the law would remain until Jesus death on the Cross✝. At His death He fulfilled ,brought to an end, the old and ushered in the new covenant ratifying it with His own blood. His covenant to us is the everlasting covenant not just for Israel but for all mankind.

Re read the post you are now denying. Your accusations are false.

I did understand, but what are are saying doesn't make a lot of sense. Jesus stated He did not come to destroy the law, and than went on to say to not break the law. Nothing is stated that on the cross God's laws (10 commandments) were abolished. Only common sense would tell you that Jesus does not want us to kill, lie, cheat, vain His name, covet or break His Holy Sabbath etc.

I pray this helps.

God Bless

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did understand, but what are are saying doesn't make a lot of sense. Jesus stated He did not come to destroy the law, and than went on to say to not break the law. Nothing is stated that on the cross God's laws (10 commandments) were abolished. Only common sense would tell you that Jesus does not want us to kill, lie, cheat, vain His name, covet or break His Holy Sabbath etc.

I pray this helps.
--SE--
You are so right. It is a sin to cheat, covet, lie, kill and take Jesus name in vain. By the same token it is a sin not to love one another 1Jn3:13This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death. 15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him. 19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

I am also so sorry that you cannot see that love as presented in the new covenant is so much greater than just ten commandments. There are so many sins that man can conjure up against God,ourselves and our fellow man that are not considered in the ten.
Gal 5:16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
Paul wrote a beautiful paragraph explaining that we are not under the guidance of the ten commandments in 2Cor 3:6-11:
6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!
Transitory means temporary. Paul wrote that the ten commandments were temporary and that the indwelling of the Holy Spirit given to us by Jesus before He ascended into Heaven has taken the place of the ten commandments as the guide for mankind.

Here are some of the sins that are not part of the commands on stone.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Here are some of the great traits of living the Christian life led by the Spirit.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Paul taught us how to live a Christian life. He taught us that our guide is the Holy Spirit not the ten commandments written on stone. What Paul didn't ever teach us is that we are subject to the keeping of days. I wonder why? Wouldn't you think that if something so important to Israel as was the keeping of days Paul would have taught us someplace that we too must be observant? Wouldn't you think since Paul was the ambassador to the Gentiles he would have given them instructions as to how to commemorate all the days God gave to only one nation, Israel?

As to God's finger and His writing on the stones, would that be any more in greatness than the commands that came out of God's mouth? Is His finger greater than His mouth? Remember, the greatest commands of all, love, came out of God's mouth.

I pray that you will continue to seek His will for new covenant Christians.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You are so right. It is a sin to cheat, covet, lie, kill and take Jesus name in vain. By the same token it is a sin not to love one another 1Jn3:13This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death. 15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him. 19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

I am also so sorry that you cannot see that love as presented in the new covenant is so much greater than just ten commandments. There are so many sins that man can conjure up against God,ourselves and our fellow man that are not considered in the ten.
Gal 5:16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
Paul wrote a beautiful paragraph explaining that we are not under the guidance of the ten commandments in 2Cor 3:6-11:
6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!
Transitory means temporary. Paul wrote that the ten commandments were temporary and that the indwelling of the Holy Spirit given to us by Jesus before He ascended into Heaven has taken the place of the ten commandments as the guide for mankind.

Here are some of the sins that are not part of the commands on stone.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Here are some of the great traits of living the Christian life led by the Spirit.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Paul taught us how to live a Christian life. He taught us that our guide is the Holy Spirit not the ten commandments written on stone. What Paul didn't ever teach us is that we are subject to the keeping of days. I wonder why? Wouldn't you think that if something so important to Israel as was the keeping of days Paul would have taught us someplace that we too must be observant? Wouldn't you think since Paul was the ambassador to the Gentiles he would have given them instructions as to how to commemorate all the days God gave to only one nation, Israel?

As to God's finger and His writing on the stones, would that be any more in greatness than the commands that came out of God's mouth? Is His finger greater than His mouth? Remember, the greatest commands of all, love, came out of God's mouth.

I pray that you will continue to seek His will for new covenant Christians.
This is the new covenant

Jeremiah 31:33

But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

The law is magnified, not done away with.

God Bless

• Winner
Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors

when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
“The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors

when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
And its not the same, the laws are now magnified- written in the our hearts and minds. This is the second covenant.

We are all grafted into Israel Romans 11:11-24, Zechariah 2:11
so both the first covenant and covenant applies to everyone. Which is why Ecclesiastes 12:13 says:
13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments,
For this is man’s all.
(notice it does not say Jews, it says man=all)

God clearly tells us in the Bible how important His commandments are Here are several examples of scripture telling us the importance of keeping God's laws. John 14:15, 1 Kings 11:13, Psalms 78:7, Proverbs 10:8, 1 John 5:3, Mathew 7:21-22, Revelations 14:12, Revelations 22:14 THESE ARE JUST A FEW so anyone saying Gods laws are "done away" is going to have to explain themselves to our Creator because it really can't be anymore clearer than this.

Jesus summarized the commandments and never said the commandments are no longer enforced.

Jesus said John 14:

15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

And even provides the Holy Spirit to help us see the truth and KEEP the commandments.

And Jesus goes on to say:

John 14
19 “A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. 20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

How many times does Jesus half to repeat Himself for us to listen? He gives us the Holy Spirit to help keep the laws, not break them.

You do not need to justify to me why you feel the laws of God are done away. Jesus knows our hearts and thoughts, He is the One we will all be answering to when He comes again as promised.

God Bless

• Winner
Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder why some feel that the new covenant is just the old covenant warmed over and placed in our hearts? If that were really true then we would be obliged to keep the laws just as the Israelites were instructed to keep them. Paul certainly didn't tell us that we are under the laws of the old covenant now did he. John didn't either. Why did Jeremiah's prophecy that the new covenant wouldn't be like the old one? Seems obvious to me after reading all that the epistle s state.

Upvote 0