amazed_by_grace

Aug 29, 2004
Ireland
✟505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I LOVE astronomy... have no equipment per say but I think I'm getting binoculars when my exam results come out (pray that they're binocular worthy!)... coming into winter over here so its the perfect time... I'm always looking at the constellations and satellites... whatever's floating around up there! My bed is placed diagonally across my room just so I can look at the stars at night without getting a crick in my neck!!!! ;) I think where I live is pretty good... its a small-ish town so you can see a good bit... plus Ireland is pretty northerly anyway so I get a good view of things... haven't seen the Northern Lights though... :( its on my to do list!

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I Enjoy it, but need to buy a new tripod, my old one collapsed after a year of non use :(

But it's only the tripod that's bad, the Equatorial mount is still Good :)

The Scope Im using is a 4.5" Reflecting Dish, Got on sale at Circuit City years ago when they were cleaning house, Can Pull in the Spot on Jupiter & the Rings on Saturn nicly (And This was in the City with the City Light Polution)

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amazed by Grace: make sure you find binoculars that have a large aperture! Little play-binoculars won't do you any good. Generally binoculars for astronomy are 7x50, 8x42 or 12x50. Fifty millimeters of aperture is MUCH more important than more magnification when you want to find those faint objects!

Also look at coatings. Coated optics are okay, multicoated optics are better, and fully multicoated optics are best. You'll have to work out something in your price range but don't go under about fifty dollars unless you get a good sale and even that is the EXTREME lower limit. I have two pairs of binoculars, but they're both worthless for astronomy. One is too small, and the stars show up too faintly while the other is too cheap and there's chromatic AND sphirical aberration over most of the field of view when you look at points like stars (even though they work well during the day).

Upvote 0

OneLastBreath

Jun 13, 2004
✟7,803.00
Faith
Christian
Ah, gotta love astronomy. I've used a 4.5" reflector, equatorial mount, and soon I'm buying a 6" or 8" Dobsonian reflector.
Deamiter said:
Fifty millimeters of aperture is MUCH more important than more magnification when you want to find those faint objects!
Unless you plan on using a tripod, make sure you don't buy more aperture than you can comfortably hold up for extended periods of time. Big binoculars are heavy! I do agree that magnification is a less important specification. Many deep sky objects have a fairly large apparent size, it's just their dimness that's the problem.

amazed_by_grace, be sure you do see the Northern Lights some time, a good show is unforgettable! While here in Canada I often feel plagued by, instead of blessed by, the lights when they're nothing more than a glow on the horizon, there's nothing like a whole sky, full colour display to make me forget about the Messier object I was trying to track down.

My favourite sight by far is Saturn. In moderate aperture and high magnification, Saturn never ceases to draw a small gasp from me. And if it's opposition and seeing is good...well, the next morning I'm picking my socks out of a tree.

Deamiter said:
Any scopes or stories? Please share!
I've got a story. One night, a few years back, I was out in my backyard. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, just stargazing. After a few minutes, I spotted a fairly bright satellite passing over head. Nothing too unusual there. Before I had glimpsed it, I had been feeling the incredible sense of awe in God's power that I always get while looking out at the stars. As I saw the little speck drifting across the zenith, my thoughts turned to humanity's accomplishments, and how we were such a powerful race, able to send the satellite I was looking at into space. My feeling of awe in God's power was soon replaced by a feeling of awe in humans' power. All of a sudden, a brilliant meteor seared across the path of the satellite, causing me to completely lose sight of it. Needless to say, a night under the stars brings considerably humility for me now.

Upvote 0

Stellar Vision

Mar 17, 2004
Raleigh, NC
✟138,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OneLastBreath said:
Ah, gotta love astronomy. I've used a 4.5" reflector, equatorial mount, and soon I'm buying a 6" or 8" Dobsonian reflector.
That's a good way to go. Dobsonians are useful for larger scopes. My 4.5" reflector is also on an equatorial mount, but it can be rather difficult at times.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now this would be nice :)

south.jpg
20 Inch

Upvote 0

drebro

Sep 9, 2004
Columbia, SC, USA
✟7,627.00
Faith
Calvinist
I am somewhat interested in astronomy, but probably not as much as most of you. I do not own a telescope, but sometimes I enjoy looking through my friend's little 3.5"(?) Maksutov-Cassegrain(sp?). I live in the south, so there is a good bit of humidity and haze blocking the stars. Mostly, I like to keep track of the planets, and I am still lacking knowledge of many constellations. Maybe I will talk to some of you later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

greenjacketguy

May 7, 2004
✟216.00
Faith
Christian
i'm interested in astronomy which is why i got into the class at my highschool. recently, the high school redid the astronomy classroom so now we have top quality equiptment including a 250,000 dollar planetarium projector and a new dome as well as imax seats that are soon to arrive. it's truely awesome!

Upvote 0
I love astronomy. I don't have a telescope or anything but I love reading about it. Black holes, nebulas, neutron stars dwarf stars (all different colors) dark matter, dark energy and everything else. I love it. I did my senior project on dark matter and that was awesome. I sometimes just sit halfway hanging out of my window (which can be kind of scary because I am on the second story in my house) and stare up at the stars for hours. It is my dream to be able to travel out there, not like to the moon or anything, but into deep space. I just want to know what is out there, like if God made other planets with people on them and what not. Our universe is so huge, and we haven't even gone out of our solar system yet. I know it probably wont be possible but traveling to other galaxies is my all time dream. Just looking up at night blows my mind and give me a greater appriciation of just what God can do!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are any of YOU interested (at all) in amateur astronomy? Any scopes or stories? Please share!
Pluto was demoted to a dwarf planet by a rigged vote and some think earth had two moons at one time.

Upvote 0