Am i wrong or should my mom wear a bra around my boyfriend? (At home)

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,906.00
Faith
Christian
I'm glad that everyone is keeping abreast of the situation, but those who need to get their opinions off their chest may want to know that the original post was from 2017 and the person who posted it hasn't interacted in CF for over 5 years.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad that everyone is keeping abreast of the situation, but those who need to get their opinions off their chest may want to know that the original post was from 2017 and the person who posted it hasn't interacted in CF for over 5 years.
Lol

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really? Putting blame on one's who are called seductive... It can't work better than witchhunts, those who should take responsibility for their transgressions for lack of control just get excused for what others who are tempting to them are blamed for, and where would the line fall? Any amount of being dressed does not stop such individuals.

So, alright. There are many images with women that do not have focus on their breasts, whether they were godly or to be seen as godly, or not, though in current times it is harder to find such in up-to-date images, but that should not be the standard for universal applications. It does nothing for an argument that women must wear bras. And godliness does not call for depending on bras, such did not exist for most of human history, while there were still godly people, men and women.

I don't really support artificial things like makeup.

Let us stop speaking about clothes defining our godliness. Be accountable, and flee sin, there are no excuses.

Wake up world is not a reputable health site. Bras do not help or hurt health one way or the other.

I knew about the studies before I knew about online sites, a long time ago, and they are legitimate studies, regardless of the site I found this on when looking around to find it again online. It is not that the studies are questionable, there is an agenda from businesses keeping information suppressed. I know this because a long time ago within a couple of years of when the book after the study came out, I would see televised shows that were dealing with possible causes of breast cancer and with a number of things considered, there was no mention whatsoever of bras, to even dismiss it, just nothing said at all. If there was legitimate reason to dismiss it, with some having heard bras are involved, it would have been mentioned with reasons to dismiss it. Other possible causes of any sort were given attention.

There is definite association of breast cancer being more prevalent among women wearing bras more.

Nipples are not shameful. The mother has her breasts covered and no indication she is trying to flirt or seduce. Women are not responsible for the thoughts of men who can’t control their gaze.

Exactly. Nipples are not shameful. Women all have nipples, men all have nipples too, and all children do.

Individuals are all responsible each for their own actions, and any of their own responses, themselves.

It does not matter whether the original poster is around or involved with the thread or not, when the issues are still relevant and there is still interested discussion of those.

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Nipples are not shameful. The mother has her breasts covered and no indication she is trying to flirt or seduce. Women are not responsible for the thoughts of men who can’t control their gaze.
Ok. So, a busty woman who doesn’t wear a bra and knows her nipples are sticking out of the shirt in an obvious way is in fact becoming a temptress. If what I’m doing will cause my brother to sin, I should stop doing it.

Reactions: Twin_niwT
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok. So, a busty woman who doesn’t wear a bra and knows her nipples are sticking out of the shirt in an obvious way is in fact becoming a temptress. If what I’m doing will cause my brother to sin, I should stop doing it.
OK, let's carry that to the logical extreme then. A Kinsey Institute study conducted by Dr. Justin Lehmiller and published in the book "Tell Me What You Want" found that 18% of heterosexual men and 5% of heterosexual women have sexual fantasies about and are aroused by feet. Therefore Christans should all stop wearing sandals or going barefoot.

I would postulate instead that as long as Christians are wearing clothing that is modest in the standards of the culture where they reside, and are not acting in ways that are seductive, then they are fine. I'll allow that nipples through clothing is not a common thing and therefore likely to draw attention in public, but I think in the sanctity of her own home a woman doesn't need to wear something to conceal them if her actions to the boyfried are purely platonic and appropriate for the relationship they have through her daughter. That really does fall into the area where he is responsible for how he responds. Honestly, it's not that hard for men to do - we let ourselves off the hook way too much by making women responsible for our thought choices and have convinced women that they are responsible for our sin choices.

Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bras are a modern invention and almost unanimously considered uncomfortable. Women have been expected to accommodate men who can’t control their thoughts for too long. Men need to own up to their own thoughts and see that they are the actual problem.

Reactions: TheLastGeek
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bras are a modern invention and almost unanimously considered uncomfortable. Women have been expected to accommodate men who can’t control their thoughts for too long. Men need to own up to their own thoughts and see that they are the actual problem.

T-shirts that are modern day thin and drape the way they do are a modern invention too.

There's such a thing called modesty, and another cool invention called the sport's bra. They make them in all sizes.

All women have at least one bra that feels like not wearing one. If you don't have one they are WELL worth finding, and investing in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
T-shirts that are modern day thin and drape the way they do are a modern invention too.

There's such a thing called modesty, and another cool invention called the sport's bra. They make them in all sizes.
I would never recommend a sports bra for non spot/exercise activities. Those are worse than ordinary bras for comfort.

Female breasts/nipples are over sexualized in the US. I wear a bra and t-shirt and my nipples are usually still visible. Aside from a thick , padded bra ( uncomfortable) it’s unavoidable. I’ve decided to stop worrying about it for comfort sake.

And how backwards is it that media can show pretty much an entire breast as long as the nipple is covered or blurred out. It’s a nipple, all mammals have them. Men parade around shirtless all the time. We need to stop fetishizing the female nipple.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OP says:

But i wish my mom would put a bra on / wear more suitable clothes when my boyfriend comes over

I trust my boyfriend and i trust my mom but i think she should wear a bra when hes over

All this other discussion is irrelevant.

The OP is uncomfortable with her mother's actions.

If this were anything else, everyone would advise her, "Talk to your mother about how you feel."

If this were anything else, nobody would be telling her she must repress her discomfort.

She said she was close to her mother. There's no reason she shouldn't speak to her mother about her feelings.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The OP says:

If this were anything else, everyone would advise her, "Talk to your mother about how you feel."

If this were anything else, nobody would be telling her she must repress her discomfort.

She said she was close to her mother. There's no reason she shouldn't speak to her mother about her feelings.
I agree. Back in 2017.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OP says:

As MIchie, I agree with you back in 2017.

Today the thread has turned (in several posts) to a more philosphical discussion in the application of theology in this area. So perhaps it is newly relevant for 2023.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All women have at least one bra that feels like not wearing one.
?? I certainly never have. Perhaps this is less true for those of us who are more well endowed?

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bras are a modern invention and they do nothing for anyone's betterment, while contributing to problems for them, AND, women never needed bras through the rest of history, including any of the Bible times, when there was nothing said for women's breasts needing to be hidden even. There is only modern imposition.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bras are a modern invention and they do nothing for anyone's betterment, while contributing to problems for them, AND, women never needed bras through the rest of history, including any of the Bible times, when there was nothing said for women's breasts needing to be hidden even. There is only modern imposition.
Says the man who’s never worn one. Lol!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Full-breasted women have been binding their breasts as necessary for work and comfort for thousands of years. One of the primary purposes of the corset was also to support the breasts.

The brassier, as it is, is a modern invention. So are jockey briefs for men, which combine jockey strap and briefs into one garment.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

davey_0373

May 24, 2023
Shelby
✟7,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you should start out by having that uncomfortable conversation with your bf first and find out if he is uncomfortable with it before saying anything to her. She just may be unaware of anything, but if it's uncomfortable for him then have a chat with your mom. It's either that or find somewhere else to hang out

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The modern design of what we think of as a "bra" has been around for centuries in various forms and styles. Women have always used SOME form of support, binding, etc, to hold breasts in place because frankly, they will just flap and slap all over the place otherwise. It's not only a matter of attention-drawing (lol), but it's incredibly uncomfortable for the woman! It's not an attempt to "hide" the breasts as something shameful, it's a matter of practicality and comfort. Many women choose to fling the bra aside when they get home from work and plan to relax around the house, or when they go to bed, because they won't be doing a lot of physical moving-around, working, bending, etc. It also depends somewhat on the size of said bosom; smaller is obviously less prone to the whims of gravity and g-forces, lol.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The modern design of what we think of as a "bra" has been around for centuries in various forms and styles. Women have always used SOME form of support, binding, etc, to hold breasts in place because frankly, they will just flap and slap all over the place otherwise. It's not only a matter of attention-drawing (lol), but it's incredibly uncomfortable for the woman! It's not an attempt to "hide" the breasts as something shameful, it's a matter of practicality and comfort. Many women choose to fling the bra aside when they get home from work and plan to relax around the house, or when they go to bed, because they won't be doing a lot of physical moving-around, working, bending, etc. It also depends somewhat on the size of said bosom; smaller is obviously less prone to the whims of gravity and g-forces, lol.
Support is a woman’s choice but not required. I say go free if it feels best or choose the bra if it doesn’t. Simple.

Reactions: TheLastGeek
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Says the man who’s never worn one. Lol!

I've cared about women in my life and understood what they let me know they were suffering or bothered with. And, why ignore history?

Full-breasted women have been binding their breasts as necessary for work and comfort for thousands of years. One of the primary purposes of the corset was also to support the breasts.

The brassier, as it is, is a modern invention. So are jockey briefs for men, which combine jockey strap and briefs into one garment.

Support anywhere weakens musculature, this is already documented. I know this for myself in different ways. Most women in history did not bind themselves, and it was too bad for those who did, especially in more recent times, like those with feet binding used it was not better for them.

Exercise is also neglected, dependence on support eliminates any of what benefits there are with exercise that would strengthen musculature there. There is written material about this.

Harm from bras is documented.

And, women should have their own choice for themselves, like anyone; there shouldn't be others telling them what to do. It Is Not A Moral Issue.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0